never thought that ST is an adventure bike, but then

Bike
ST1100
I accidentally came across this link: fernandos-world-tour
all around the world on ST1100. Amazing.
Anyway, I'm still convinced that it is much appropriate to ride transalp, or bmw or any other real adventure bike to this kind of travels. With less plastic and more steel and aluminum.

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
It's not actually an adventure unless you're on the most inappropriate motorcycle possible.
quite odd) To make adventure trip interesting for people, you have to do it in the most inconvenience and unpractical way))

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
I also found this video in recommended ones on youtube:
Couple of young guys travelling and camping in winter, up to -35C, on honda c90. Someone may call it brave, someone would not accept it as normal at all) I personally, don't understand this way of having fun too)

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
quite odd) To make adventure trip interesting for people, you have to do it in the most inconvenience and unpractical way))
Not exactly. Adventure motorcycling isn't a contest of inconveniences, it's a practical answer to locomotion. Here's a Ride Report of a couple that RTW with Symba 100s:

The idea is that Symbas are exact copies of the Honda Super Cub. The Honda Super Cub has passed the 100,000,000 sold level. This means that nearly any country, outside of the United States, will have parts for this bike. Many countries wouldn't have parts for a specialty bike that cost more than an average house. Additionally, you're your own mechanic and how many tools do you plan to carry?

I've seen Ride Reports from those who have taken Harleys and Indians out farther than tow trucks normally travel and I think they are brave in a slightly unintelligent sort of way. Personally, I trust the ST and have dug into one enough to feel confident that I could keep it in motion but if I were truly out in an adventure situation I'd be on the most popular motorcycle for the area I was going to be in regardless of the engine displacement.

My $0.02

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I accidentally came across this link: fernandos-world-tour
all around the world on ST1100. Amazing.
Anyway, I'm still convinced that it is much appropriate to ride transalp, or bmw or any other real adventure bike to this kind of travels. With less plastic and more steel and aluminum.
Didn't this guy sign on here a few years ago asking some questions about his ST11 when he was in Central America? Or was that another adventurer?

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Didn't this guy sign on here a few years ago asking some questions about his ST11 when he was in Central America? Or was that another adventurer?
I believe it was ST-Riders, Paul. Fernando was befriended by STOC members when he hit the states (Betty and her husband Layne {RIP} Johnson, STOC 1963). I have the magazine article about Fernado’s trip somewheres (digital version linked above by Alberto). One of the accompanying pictures shows him in the middle of the jungle with the ST up to the axles in a muddy wheel track! Memorable!

Our other renowned ST1100 RTW traveler is Kris Nijs from Belgium. He was our honored guest at WeSTOC ‘02 in Ashland, OR. I’d corresponded with him prior as he’d met some Norwegians in South America that I’d met in Alaska during AlaskaSTOC ‘01, to whom I’d given my contact info. Serendipity... Kris made it to North Pole and the Arctic Circle. Stayed with Sally and I for a few days, then on to South Africa and up to home. Epic stories to tell and he had phenomenal images documenting his journey! His book is not in English, sadly. The ST1100 is in a museum and last I heard, Kris returned to Peru and married the woman he’d met and fallen in love with during the trip.

John [off to search the ole digital and hard-copy archives]

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks John, would like to see that.

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
Additionally, you're your own mechanic and how many tools do you plan to carry?
I understand that choice of the vehicle for such kind of a travel is a matter of a personal choice. Someone would pick Goldwing, someone would ride on a bicycle. Need to know how to repair the bike, bike should not be too complicated and should be easily repairable in every situation. And spare parts must be available too. But, for my opinion, better follow sort of balance in this question. Riding too heavy bikes like our ST can bring traveler to situations when he drops it and won’t be able to pick up alone somewhere in the middle of nowhere. I’m not sure that I can pick it in sands or on the muddy road for example. Not mentioning plastic fairings and panniers, they can easily be broken and hard to repair - sure need to be prepared that bike will be laid down not only once in that kind of travel.
On the other hand, by my opinion, riding weak 7 -10 hp bike has a bunch of cons too. Yes, those bikes are lightweight, and you can literally pull it off the trouble places on hands. But they are low-speed and you would always struggle with lack of power, and engine and drivetrain will be used on its maximum limits and will have much more probability to break down if compare to any mid-level powered bike. Plus low load capacity, not much things you can carry on to the trip. Short refill distance.
So, maybe it will be boring and not so exiting for other people, but I would personally prefer some mid-weight 600 - 800 cc adventure bike for that. Hondas, for example, are good and reliable, known everywhere and it is possible to find spareparts or order it online in case of critical damages. I believe that Honda Africa Twin for example, would easily survive 50-60k km trip without any major issues and repairs if not drop it from the cliff)

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
I understand that choice of the vehicle for such kind of a travel is a matter of a personal choice. Someone would pick Goldwing, someone would ride on a bicycle. Need to know how to repair the bike, bike should not be too complicated and should be easily repairable in every situation. And spare parts must be available too. But, for my opinion, better follow sort of balance in this question. Riding too heavy bikes like our ST can bring traveler to situations when he drops it and won’t be able to pick up alone somewhere in the middle of nowhere. I’m not sure that I can pick it in sands or on the muddy road for example. Not mentioning plastic fairings and panniers, they can easily be broken and hard to repair - sure need to be prepared that bike will be laid down not only once in that kind of travel.
On the other hand, by my opinion, riding weak 7 -10 hp bike has a bunch of cons too. Yes, those bikes are lightweight, and you can literally pull it off the trouble places on hands. But they are low-speed and you would always struggle with lack of power, and engine and drivetrain will be used on its maximum limits and will have much more probability to break down if compare to any mid-level powered bike. Plus low load capacity, not much things you can carry on to the trip. Short refill distance.
So, maybe it will be boring and not so exiting for other people, but I would personally prefer some mid-weight 600 - 800 cc adventure bike for that. Hondas, for example, are good and reliable, known everywhere and it is possible to find spareparts or order it online in case of critical damages. I believe that Honda Africa Twin for example, would easily survive 50-60k km trip without any major issues and repairs if not drop it from the cliff)
I agree completely. Personally I would want an Africa Twin with a sidecar so I'm not thinking about tip overs in soft ground, rain or strange situations. Plus I could pack an appropriate tent.

I enjoy reading about other's adventures and I'm often grateful that those are their adventures and not mine.

Speaking of tip-overs I dropped my bike at the U.S. - Mexico border. The van before me puked all sorts of oil on the ground just outside the booth. I pulled up and put my Chuck Taylors right into the oil and down I went. Then the officer asks me, very calmly, if I require medical attention. I'm not sure why but I laughed about that for a few minutes while I wrestled the bike back up and got it away from the oil slick.

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
I enjoy reading about other's adventures and I'm often grateful that those are their adventures and not mine.
the same for me))

I dropped my ST on the next day when I bought it. Just small unnoticed pothole and slight side slope of the road and in a fraction of a second I went down) Didn't managed to pick the bike up no matter how hard I tried. Had to ask for help.

Last edited:

DAS

STOC #
Interesting topic and comments. I've never done "adventure" riding but I think I might try it some day, not RTW because that's beyond me, so something more like BigDogadventures where he picks the most appropriate bike from is stable. And I get a laugh out of the likes of people that ride Honda C90s over California pass.
And there are riders that can do it on a ST1100 but not me, I tried and didn't get very far even with my bags removed.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'd like to see her pick up an ST. There's a video of a 12yo girl righting a GoldWing and I'm sure she could never do that with an ST.

Top Bottom