New addition to the garage Burgman 650

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Saturday I brought home a new scoot from Simply Street Bikes of Eden Prairie, MN. I did load it in the bed of a F150 so my friend who was driving me up there would have company on the return trip. This scoot is perfectly capable of riding it on the super slab, or any other county or state highway (my preference on any bike) but this first trip was the only time I expect to see it taking a ride rather than giving one.
The Burgman 650 is a much larger scooter than most people realize. 613 lbs wet and extremely low CG. The engine is under that hump between the dash and the seat with the gas tank and a 50 Liter storage box under the seat. I am considering adding a Givi V46 top case to this one to replace the pillion back rest.

The yellow one is my wife's Metropolitan that she rides all over the metro area.

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
That's a nice looking Burgman! The overall look has it looking more like a cycle than a scooter. I like it. Good luck with it!

Skip

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The only thing that 'makes' it a scooter is the smaller tires and step-through frame. Out my way it's a motorcycle for licensing requirements.

rj is the Burg replacing the CTX or will there still be three in the stable at some point?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Sharp scooter you have there Scooter... lol.. I'll begin the banning procedure now... :eek:

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
The only thing that 'makes' it a scooter is the smaller tires and step-through frame. Out my way it's a motorcycle for licensing requirements.

rj is the Burg replacing the CTX or will there still be three in the stable at some point?
Smaller tires, yes. But 15" front, 14" rear really aren't that much smaller. And suspension is rather good as well. It's well balanced and handles in the curves nicely. It can lean a lot more than my CTX. Not more than the ST, but it may be close there.
In most states anything that can run over 30 mph needs a motorcycle license. Though there is some fudging that goes on with that. My wife's Metropolitan can go 38 mph with me on it but due to the VIN classifying it as being under 30 mph it is considered as not needing the M endorsement in Iowa.

Unfortunately I can only keep one of them. I have a really hard time riding more than one at a time anyway so it's for the best I guess. I was "told" that I cannot spend any more money on a bike, so at that selling the CTX is the only option. My financial boss is tolerating me buying before I sell. She understands that when the "right buy" shows up it would be folly to wait. Should result in a little extra to add a few farkles to the Burgman. This scooter was priced at least $1000 less than any other of the same model year nation wide with half as many miles on the odometer and including a Corbin seat as a bonus. I'm getting to like the seat very much.

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Another photo. This shows the shield in the UP position. The mirrors also can fold back with push of button.

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Figured I'd add this here rather than start a new thread just for this little note.
This winter was one for the record books as far as not riding much... for me. I rode until mid January and then only once in February (to take the scoot in for new tires). But was able to start regularly riding again at least a day or two each week sometime after the first week of March. Usually I ride a lot more than that.

Been riding the scoot to work every day this last few weeks except yesterday (had a family medical appointment to take care of all day).
This week, and looking forward, the "riding season" has started IMHO in my area. So I spent the day rearranging the garage for the warmer half of the year.

Treated the gas in the snow thrower, ran it for 15 mins (while doing other things) and put it away for the season.

Pulled the lawn mower out, checked it over and started it and let it run for a few mins to get the engine limbered up for the season. It started on the very FIRST pull!

Pulled out my wife's scooter (Honda Metropolitan) and started that to let it run for at least 5 mins. That engine took a few attempts to get going. Put the battery maintainer back on to recharge after the many failed attempts to start it.

While the Metropolitan was out I also pulled out my Burgman and checked psi on all tires. Temps were at least 10 deg warmer than any day last week. Last I checked tire pressure in the Metropolitan was when I put it on blocks late last fall. Last I checked pressure on the Burgman was a week and a half ago. Today the psi for both tires of the Metropolitan were spot on where they should be! The Burgman front tire was spot on but the rear was a little high since it was colder when I last added air so I let a little out. Since I just recently replaced those tires they've been holding air really well. No need to add air to anything today.

Now if my wife decides to take off on her scooter it's ready to just pull out of the garage and go. Same with my Burgman but that's always ready to go. Same with either of the cars if they really need to be used.

In another few weeks I plan to start parking the little car outside the garage as I usually do during the warm half of the year to leave that half of the garage open to park all the bikes as well as allow room to do some landscaping prep and plant potting that my wife likes to do.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I really do like the 650 Burgman. As Honda doesn't make the 650 Nighthawk just as they did years ago the Burg would be my UJM equivalent.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Scooters are a worthy addition in my experience. I've had a Yamaha TMax in my line-up for a while. The TMax doesn't have the storage capacity of the 'burgs, but it has more of a sorting flair and is prone to embarrassing proper sportbike riders if they have more equipment than skill.

It makes a fine parts-getter and Sunday afternoon rider, but I have also done 2K mile trips on it and with the addition of the Russell seat it does that well.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Scooters are a worthy addition in my experience. I've had a Yamaha TMax in my line-up for a while. The TMax doesn't have the storage capacity of the 'burgs, but it has more of a sorting flair and is prone to embarrassing proper sportbike riders if they have more equipment than skill.

It makes a fine parts-getter and Sunday afternoon rider, but I have also done 2K mile trips on it and with the addition of the Russell seat it does that well.

That T-Max is a good looking scooter. :thumb:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
with the addition of the Russell seat it does that well.
That's a Russell seat? I thought it was a really nice looking seat and it looked factory. That's a nice version. I'm not a fan of the wing chair look of Russells not even the Sport version. But I wouldn't mind that on my ST one bit.

Bike
1991 ST1100
I'm certainly not one of those that sniffs at "scooters"... If it's got two wheels, it's got my respect. There are plenty of times I'm running an errand to the local grocery, hardware, liquor store, etc. that just hopping on a scooter would be a great thing.

Congrats & enjoy.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
That's a Russell seat? I thought it was a really nice looking seat and it looked factory. That's a nice version. I'm not a fan of the wing chair look of Russells not even the Sport version. But I wouldn't mind that on my ST one bit.
It is a leather Russell, and the 12th one I've purchased over the years. Lots of people knock the looks, but they are truly all-day comfortable and I can't see it while riding down the road. I figure anything that looks like a plaster cast of my butt isn't going to have much for aesthetics.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Hard to argue with a bucket seat that fits your bucket.

And how do you know Martin Mull? :D

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm in agreement with Lee on appearance. Can't see it while riding on it so who cares! As long as it's comfy. I will say I continue to like my Corbin seat more an more. The leather and shape looks good, but more importantly it feels good to sit in. Reminds me... I need to take the leather cleaner and treatment to it again soon.

Attachments

Top Bottom