New Avon Storm Tire Bulging on Side Wall ?

I just brought my bike home from the small local bike shop with a new Avon Storm on the front wheel. While changing oil on my bike I noticed a slight bulge in the side wall that extends up to where the tread begins. The bulge is where the circled E is. You can see the edge of the tread come to a point in the picture at that spot. I while riding home I did not notice any wobble or vibration. However I have not been in any hard corners yet. I'm going to try to get a hold of Matt in the morning but he might not be in due to the holiday weekend. If he is in all he will be able to due is take the tire off because he deals in custom cruisers and does not carry sport bike tires. I was planning on leaving on a 2000 mile trip Sunday. My biggest concern is that the side wall is bad and the tire might blow out. I don't know much about tires and did not know if this is normal or a faulty tire.

Attachments

Last edited:

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
I was planning on leaving on a 2000 mile trip Sunday. My biggest concern is that the side wall is bad and the tire might blow out. I don't know much about tires and did not know if this is normal or a faulty tire.
Judging by the picture...... well do ya feel lucky????? If you can feel a definite bulge with your hand, IMO the tire is defective. I would not ride it. Period, If the image you posted is more of an optical illusion, as photos can be, and you cannot feel anything use your best judgment but please be safer rather than sorry. I'm really tired of reading about wrecks. No smiley.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Not all tires are created equally.. a tired that has a great track record can fail, just the luck of the draw.

I've never had a tire with any bulges like that, even as small as that one is.

Life gives you little warnings... I would say that is what you are seeing. Go to a dealer and get a new tire if you can, start your trip with some peace of mind, for you and for us.

skidlid1300

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
Schwinn
I wouldn't ride it. Could have a busted cord or belt. Definitely give the installer $100 worth of hell. They should have caught it, unless that bulge was done to the tire during the install, and they aren't telling you about it, and playing stupid... As others have told you, take it back to the STealer... That's a drag, especially before a trip, but your noggin ain't worth sacrificin' just to leave on time... :)

OP
OP
dhuber
If the image you posted is more of an optical illusion, as photos can be, .
Unfortunately it's not an optical illusion. You can see the edge of the tread come to a point between the (59W) and the circled E. The circled E is definitely bulged out. I can even run my hand down the right side of top tread and feel a bump. My boss is flexible with my vacation so it's no big deal I will just go to work Tuesday through Friday. I was planning on a solo ride to Flaming Gorge, Mesa Verde, Grand Canyon, and Zion National park etc. I've never been to the Grand Canyon. I don't know what the best time of year to go to the Grand Canyon is. The weather forecast looked nice and moderate for next week for camping along the way. If the weather is still nice in two weeks maybe I'll go then. I know in a few weeks it will get windy in Wyoming and my riding will be done for the year. I'm not going to get too bummed out. I believe things happen for a reason and maybe this trip was not meant to be. There will be plenty more. Thanks for the replies!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well, it's good that you have that flexibility.

Don't forget, TentSTOC is going on next week as well so if you are in the area.. stop on by.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Sorry to be late into this thread. Be very careful on that tire the belts are bad and the air has pushed it's way into them. If you ride it it will only expand out further. The plus side Avon will take care of you on it. You might have to leave a day later. Hope it helps.

I have posted this before and I'll post it again. The last time I brought this up, several folks on this forum disagreed with what I had posted....but here goes.

I too have Avon Storms on my ST1300. I had an issue with my front tire not balancing properly and called the U.S. distributor for Avon in Washington state. The rep told me they do not recommend the Storm for the ST1300 and do not list it in their dealer catalog as a tire that fits the ST1300 - YES, the proper SIZE is listed for the ST1300, but they don't specify the ST1300. They graciously sent me a replacement "under warranty" even tough they don't warranty their products for use on non approved machines. When my dealer was replacing the front tire, he noticed my rear Storm was severely cracked along the sidewalls. He suggested I contact Avon and see if they have any idea why the tire is so bad, being that it is a fairly new tire. I talked to Jared once again and he said the rear Storm was cracking due to the stress the ST1300 puts on it from the weight/horsepower. Again, he said this is a non recommended tire and even though they sell many, many Storms for ST riders, it is a non warranty item. Having said all this, your bulging tire issue may or may not have anything to do with the weight of the machine, but even though I love the Storms my next tires will be something else due to the warranty issue. In my previous post on this, I listed the phone number and name of the rep for Avon U.S. so anyone else with a concern regarding their tires could call these folks.

STOC #
IMHO, Avon will always be a 2nd rate tire supplier. They are owned by Cooper Tire, which specializes in making cheap replacement tires for the auto industry. The quality control issues seen here are typical of Cooper tires as well.

Just my 2?

I wouldn't keep it, not worth the risk to me. It would bite me far from home where I can't find a quick replacement!

I've gone through two sets of storm STs and this last set I have now will be the last. I love the feel and the good wear of my first set. But, my front tires keep getting cracks in the side walls, my current front tire has 6K on it and it is cracking bad near the rim. The first one cracked and I blamed it on high miles, the one on there now started failing at 5K and when I get the ST11 back on the road it will not have avons on it. I don't trust those side walls with the deep cracks. Tires are new, three months old. I've not had any cracking issues with other brands so far.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I wouldn't ride it. I think I have read where some companies use those hard plastic bands to strap two tires together for shipping. Those bands if too tight can break a cord and casue something like this. So it may be a case where is isn't really Avon's fault. It may have jsut been damaged in shipping or when being prepared to be shipped. Some poeple are blaming this same shipping method on why some of us have had some stability issues with the Avon. I know I get a slight wobble at about 40. I need to tighten the head bearings and should really consider just replacing them as I don't think it has ever been done on my bike before I can blame my stability issue on the Storms. My issue isn't something that I am really concerend about though. I don't ride at 40MPH much. I just accelerate or brake through it. And it would only be an issue if I was going no hands. I can easily control the shake with one hand. I just can feel it so I know it is there.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
I have posted this before and I'll post it again. The last time I brought this up, several folks on this forum disagreed with what I had posted....but here goes.

I too have Avon Storms on my ST1300. I had an issue with my front tire not balancing properly and called the U.S. distributor for Avon in Washington state. The rep told me they do not recommend the Storm for the ST1300 and do not list it in their dealer catalog as a tire that fits the ST1300 - YES, the proper SIZE is listed for the ST1300, but they don't specify the ST1300. They graciously sent me a replacement "under warranty" even tough they don't warranty their products for use on non approved machines. When my dealer was replacing the front tire, he noticed my rear Storm was severely cracked along the sidewalls. He suggested I contact Avon and see if they have any idea why the tire is so bad, being that it is a fairly new tire. I talked to Jared once again and he said the rear Storm was cracking due to the stress the ST1300 puts on it from the weight/horsepower. Again, he said this is a non recommended tire and even though they sell many, many Storms for ST riders, it is a non warranty item. Having said all this, your bulging tire issue may or may not have anything to do with the weight of the machine, but even though I love the Storms my next tires will be something else due to the warranty issue. In my previous post on this, I listed the phone number and name of the rep for Avon U.S. so anyone else with a concern regarding their tires could call these folks.
I'll be calling Avon tomorrow on this. It's the first I have heard of this. Thanks for posting this I'll try and update after I talk to them.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Thanks for the infomation on these tires. They do not sound like they are worth buying at any price. :usflag1:

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Ok now I am confused. If it were a weight issue that doesn't make much sense the tire is recommended for the 1100 but not the 1300. The 1100 is heavier than the 1300. So it can't be weight. Maybe the HP is the reason but there isn't that much difference. The 1300 has 17 more HP and 7 ft/lbs of torque. Those are not huge numbers.

The 1300 uses a 170/60 tyre, the ST11 the 160/70. The 160/70 avon rear is also specified for the BMW 1200LT (light truck) and has a very high weight capacity (79W from memory), well above the factory tyres. The 160/70 construction also has more bias belts in it to get the extra weight rating, so it is a different tyre to the 170/60 in many ways. That difference may be enough. But then I have run a Z6 and now a Dunlop Roadsmart in the 170/60 size on the ST11 with no issues. The sets of Avon I have used on the ST11 have looked like new tyre carcass wise (tread wear aside) when taken off, which is a tyre change more than once a year.

Last edited:

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
I've run two sets VERY assertively on the 1300. According to the Avon fitment guide, the Storms are the right speed and weight rating for the 1300 so I really don't get the lack of recommendation. I wish they'd give more info on why they aren't approved since they're definitely approved for heavier bikes (btw, what is the hp on the BMW1200LT - isn't it about the same or better than the 1300?).

Meanwhile, I like them enough to stay with them despite the lack of approval 'cause they sure ride nice and stick like glue.

Top Bottom