new bmw 1300

I don't have information about new drive train. I once compared ST1300 and R1200RT side by side, although I am no where near a mechanic, so it is just my visual impression. It looked structure, including final drive case, of ST1300 is heavier, stronger and more rigid than that of R12RT. Actually R12RT felt much lighter than ST1300. It caused me having a little question about R12RT's durability due to its lightweightedness.
Meantime I read in a news article reporting that HONDA decided to change material of rocker arm of some car engine from aluminum to steel because steel is more durable than aluminum even though performance wise aluminum is better. Because of HONDA's decision the company who was supplying rocker arm to HONDA has to invest not a small amount of money to retool back to manufacture steel rocker arm.
Although this news does not have direct connection to ST1300 but it shows HONDA's attitude toward durability and reliability. I think BMW went too far in reducing weight of their new generation R and K series. Final drive failure is symbolic phenomenon of inappropriate design or selection of material in my mind. Just want to remind you that this is just my belief and this may not be a true cause of failure.
I really hope BMW correct their reliability problem anytime soon, because their products looks good.

cali_rider

Metric Bike Renegade
I don't have information about new drive train. I once compared ST1300 and R1200RT side by side, although I am no where near a mechanic, so it is just my visual impression. It looked structure, including final drive case, of ST1300 is heavier, stronger and more rigid than that of R12RT. Actually R12RT felt much lighter than ST1300. It caused me having a little question about R12RT's durability due to its lightweightedness.
Meantime I read in a news article reporting that HONDA decided to change material of rocker arm of some car engine from aluminum to steel because steel is more durable than aluminum even though performance wise aluminum is better. Because of HONDA's decision the company who was supplying rocker arm to HONDA has to invest not a small amount of money to retool back to manufacture steel rocker arm.
Although this news does not have direct connection to ST1300 but it shows HONDA's attitude toward durability and reliability. I think BMW went too far in reducing weight of their new generation R and K series. Final drive failure is symbolic phenomenon of inappropriate design or selection of material in my mind. Just want to remind you that this is just my belief and this may not be a true cause of failure.
I really hope BMW correct their reliability problem anytime soon, because their products looks good.

Looks can be decieving. While the truth about the actual cause of the real wheel bearing isnt 100% documented, it has been believed to be the adjustment of the main final drive bearing. The actual strength of the final drive, especially the housing that you see has absolutely nothing to do with the final drive issue. The main bearing races can slide allowing the balls to move around. once this happens the bearings start grinding and then well, your rear wheel feels like its going to fall off. While I think BMW has a very real and serious issue with the final drive, but to call it not as strong would just be ignorant. The system itself is actually very strong and works significantly better than any rear suspension Honda offers, especially comapred to the ST. The horror of the final drive all suround the main bearing. The tolerance for the preload is very very tight and the slightest off adjustment can allow this to happen, thus the reason for some to give way with so few miles.

cali_rider

Metric Bike Renegade
I heard that BMW updated the final drive to last at least 6K miles. :p:

"Lost my rear drive yesterday in my 2007 RT. Bike has 5K on it. Yep, I am a little surprised. Wheel feels like it wants to fall off."

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=392159#Post392159

I dont know the details but check the pivot bearings if the final drive isnt leaking oil. It can give some of the same symptoms. A much easier fix but is should be covered under warranty anyway.

Top Bottom