New Goldwing farkling begins

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
I got this sweet 2019 Gl1800 DCT non tour recently with just over 8000 miles and luckily it already had oem heated grips, Rivco hiway pegs, oem fog lights and drivers back rest. I just installed a new luggage rack I got off Amazon for $135 which I mounted my Givi monokey rack onto, now I can install my 47 liter Givi top box for road trips.
Next will be my helibars II risers and an oem power outlet, also front tie down brackets. I’m in the design phase of making a gps bracket which will be installed same place as Traxxions mount but be much easier to install and you won’t have to give up your pop up vent (I will make a batch and see how much interest there is)
Will you post the part numbers for the luggage rack and Givi monokey rack? I would like to install these on my 2018.
Thank you,
Tom

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Will you post the part numbers for the luggage rack and Givi monokey rack? I would like to install these on my 2018.
Thank you,
Tom
Here is a link to the Goldwing rack
I bought the Givi rack for my ST1300 (monokey) from twisted throttle at a very low discounted price- may not be available anymore, I shall check

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Here is one at a good price for a different bike but you can drill holes in the Goldwing rack and mount this one with spacers like I did- good luck
Ps- I flattened the Givi mount by putting in my vice

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I’m pretty sure farkeling is now complete with addition of :
Corbin seat
Traxxion belly skid plate
Traxxion GPS mount
Modulating brake lights
External 12 volt accessory outlet
Just went for a ride and I feel a big improvement with the Corbin seat, now I’m ready for the Glacier NP, Cascade and Rocky Mountains to include the Great Smokey Mountains. Anybody serious about riding and camping let me know :)
IMG_1400.jpegIMG_1399.jpegIMG_1398.jpegIMG_1397.jpeg

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I think a belly pan is in my GW's future too. They sit awful close to the ground and there's been more than one poor soul who tore the bottom out of the engine on something unexpected.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I think a belly pan is in my GW's future too. They sit awful close to the ground and there's been more than one poor soul who tore the bottom out of the engine on something unexpected.
If it’s like the previous model it's more to protect the coolant overflow reservoir.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Both are good looking bikes.

The Skid plate is definitely needed on the 2018+ wings. The bottom of the engine is made of saltine crackers. Quite a few have busted open. We pulled off a road in a park to use the restroom and when we pulled back on the road that had about a 3 inch rounded lip we bottomed out. Heard a terrible scrape. I looked under it and couldn't see any sign of where it hit. However, that made me put a Traxxion plate on it as much as I didn't want to pay for it. If my case broke I would no longer want it after the very expensive repair.

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
If it’s like the previous model it's more to protect the coolant overflow reservoir.
No, it is to protect the engine casting from being hit by objects, which has in several cases punctured the casting which in most cases have resulted in a totaled Goldwing due to expense of replacing the engine. A friend of mine had his engine case broken due to a small "manhole cover" (5 inch or so in diameter) which his front tire flipped up into the case. He ended up getting a newer model.

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
It would make me sad if I bought a GoldWing and broke the engine like that on the road.
I'd be interested in seeing how often that happens -- it seems simple enough, just from the recent posts here. But I'm much too lazy to go internet-sleuthing to actually find out.
Maybe "I'd be curious to see..."
Either way, it would certainly an unexpected event to most riders. And tragic, apparently.
Stuff happens.

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
It would make me sad if I bought a GoldWing and broke the engine like that on the road.
I'd be interested in seeing how often that happens -- it seems simple enough, just from the recent posts here. But I'm much too lazy to go internet-sleuthing to actually find out.
Maybe "I'd be curious to see..."
Either way, it would certainly an unexpected event to most riders. And tragic, apparently.
Stuff happens.
On the one Goldwing forum I am on, there have been maybe 5-6 riders who have had the engine damaged in one or another (not counting the one I personally know of).
That being said, I have not added an engine guard (skid plate) to mine. I now have 90K miles on it.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
That skid plate looks more substantial than a popular one fitted to 2001-2017s. My 2006 has one and the aluminum is maybe twice as thick as a beer can. I have a rip in mine where it caught on something. It wouldn't protect against a solid hit.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Traxxion says there's a boss on the engine for 6th speed, right behind the front wheel (and in front of the oil filter) that can easily be smashed.

Here's two photos from one of their videos.

1708476942791.png
1708477029605.png
The DCT has the boss too. It has the clutch shaft going through it on the 6 spd. and is just blocked off on the DCT. Still vulnerable,

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
The DCT has the boss too. It has the clutch shaft going through it on the 6 spd. and is just blocked off on the DCT. Still vulnerable,
I’m pretty sure the gear shifter shaft is located there on the manual shift, but yes- the DCT still has that vulnerable part of the casting.
Another vulnerable part is the exhaust and shields which are lower than bottom of engine case, several owners have damaged the shields while loading onto a trailer

Top Bottom