New McCruise on my 2010 ST

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT
Well, I finally broke down and ordered a McCruise control for my ST. It was alot of money, but after reading some of the other problems with other brands, I opted to buy this one. Total cost with shipping was $1,050:(. I know that this part will make some of you cringe, but I have the bike over to the STealer to have them do the install (second oldest Honda dealer in the country). I am a little short with time these days is the reason why. Not sure what they are going to charge for the labor, but will find out in a week or so. Any guesses what it should be?
Is there any final adjustments or things to look for before I ride ? Looking forward to the first ride, Hopefully there is no issues.:)

ST Dan

2 summers 50k+ miles 48 states
Bike
14 NC700X
STOC #
mine is going on 5 yrs old and is running well...only time i have problems with it is when it's below freezing...doesn't always work then. first bike I put it on took me about 9 hours, second one took me about 6 hours....so they will probably charge you a pretty hefty some for the install as it will probably take the tech a full day to do it....YMMV...

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
My experience with two installs was about the same as Dan's. I installed mine in early '04 and have zero issues with it.

John

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
One potential problem to have the tech look out for: Installing the tee in the manifold vacuum line can sometimes cause the line to kink, since it is now longer with the tee in place. I removed a small piece equal to the gap the tee occupies between the ends of the OEM rubber tube.

Make sure the Hall-effect sensor at the rear wheel is properly spaced.

The bracket that holds the vacuum piston assembly (you can see it under my left cheek on my avatar, right in front of the preload knob): I seem to recall making a little mod to make it fit better, but can't remember the details.

STOC #
I have the McCruise on my ST1100, it works fine, had it for about 6 years. I just completed installing the Audiovox CC on my ST1300. The Audiovox was no more difficult to install than the McCruise. The throttle connections for the Audiovox look like they were made with the ST1300 linkage in mind. I have no complaints with my McCruise but don't see any advantage to it over the Audiovox.

OP
OP
Darth rider

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT
Thanks for the advice from all. I will let the tech know about what you said Tom. I appreciate the input. Hopefully the tech that is working on my bike will not charge me the full amount of his time for the install. I will let you know what the final bill is after he is done.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
CARSALESMAN - How would you have done the throttle connection on the ST1100 without the CIU? That was always the issue for me using something other than a MCCruise on an ST1100. Most folks have to fabricate some sort of attachment bar to the bell pulley. Looks like the ST1300 is a little easier to hook up in that respect. Just curious since you have done both.

STOC #
Phil - I never attempted the Audiovox Cruise on the ST1100. If you search google for "ST1100 audiovox cruise" you will find many articles where it has been done. My point iis that the McCruise installation on the 1100 took no less time than the Audivox on the 1300.

Bike
BMW R1200GS
STOC #
Put one on my '06 4 years ago. No problems. Bought mine for about $600, install took about 5-6 hrs. Honda should have included this as an option.

Taz

Mike
Bike
08-ST1300
Installed McCruise on my 08, no real issues. The fine tuning at the end of installation on the cable adjustment to the the throttle box could take a couple of times. Also make sure any time a tire is changed you pay attention to the install and torque on the axle nut. After 1st tire change mine came off along with the sensor, dealer reordered and replaced, just noticed on the way to work the *** end felt a little loose, checked it in the parking lot before I headed home and saw the issue. Do it all myself now.

Bike
Honda ST1300
My brotherinlaw and just finished installing my McCruise today. It took use about 13 hours over two day and that includes lunches and trips to the store to buy tools. I will say neither one of use has worked on anything mechanical since HS shop class. We took our time read the instruction. Which were amazing!!!! Had some problems due the lack of experience, worked though them. Tony at McCruise was fantastic. He always returned my calls so it was his dime and not mine. Answered all my questions and had amazing stories about his rides here in the states. We ran all the diagnosis procedures and all is good. Just need the weather to clear up a bit and do a road test. The entire system is plug and play and custom made for the ST1300. If somebody walked up to the bike they would think it came directly from Honda this way. It really is very easy to install. Yes it was pricey however there was no way I was going to try to install the Audiovox system. Even after reading all the threads I felt like it was over my head. So in the end the MC was only about $200 bucks for me as I did not have to pay a mechanic $80 hr for 8-9 hours plus making a custom bracket to mount the controls to. The best part is I did it myself and I know it is perfect and I have a far better understanding of my bike.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
One hint: you can adjust the throttle free play on the top tube around the bend where the cable comes out of the hand grip. It helps to leave a little free play so that you are not fighting the cruise control just by resting your hand on the throttle. If you have adjusted too little free play, it is easy to find yourself unintentionally overriding the set speed, then, when you wake up and release the pressure, you get a lurch as the throttle closes.

OP
OP
Darth rider

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT
Yikes! Probably 8-9hrs @ $80-90hr. That's going to be one expensive CC.
Well, the Honda shop finally got done with the install on the cruise control that I had received (Mc cruise) from the first post. I told them when I brought the bike to them in a trailer, to take their time on it since it would probably be a couple months before I could ride it anyway. I thought, by working it in on their schedule, I might be able to get a little better deal on the labor charges. I think he was pretty fair on the final cost. He said it took him about six hours to get done, but only charged me $300.00 total.
Have'nt rode the bike home yet (still at the shop) but looks like he done an excellent job on the install. I planned to ride it home this past Saturday, but he thought there was too much salt on the road yet. He said if I did, to pressure wash it thouroughly when I got home, so I decided to wait a couple more weeks. We need a couple of good rains then I will get my baby home and go enjoy.:drool1:

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I've had several problems with my mccruise. I've had the relay fail twice, speed sensor go bad, and the control switch. I think most of this was related to components getting wet. Not sure what fried the speed sensor. I bought the cc from Joe Sears at spoiledbiker back in June of 07. I've always gotten pretty good support from the 2 bros down under though.

If I had to do it all over again I would go with the CC100 and save about $900 bucks.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Well, the Honda shop finally got done with the install on the cruise control that I had received (Mc cruise) from the first post. I told them when I brought the bike to them in a trailer, to take their time on it since it would probably be a couple months before I could ride it anyway. I thought, by working it in on their schedule, I might be able to get a little better deal on the labor charges. I think he was pretty fair on the final cost. He said it took him about six hours to get done, but only charged me $300.00 total.
Have'nt rode the bike home yet (still at the shop) but looks like he done an excellent job on the install. I planned to ride it home this past Saturday, but he thought there was too much salt on the road yet. He said if I did, to pressure wash it thouroughly when I got home, so I decided to wait a couple more weeks. We need a couple of good rains then I will get my baby home and go enjoy.:drool1:
That's great they only charged you that much! Hopefully you can get out to try it soon.

ST Dan

2 summers 50k+ miles 48 states
Bike
14 NC700X
STOC #
I helped sstakes1 (Ram) put an audiovox on his bike this weekend, the install was about the same complication level as the mc. I like my mc, the only problem I ever have is that it doesn't always work when it's below 37*, other then that it's been good, it's going on 5 years old now. I guess I might be tempted to to go with the audiovox after I see how Ram likes it....

i disagree on the slack, I have mine adjusted so there is only about a 1mm of slack, for me I have a lot less jerky throttle that way. It's probably just a matter of what you get used to tho...

OP
OP
Darth rider

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT
Well, I had my first problem with the cruise control not working. After I rode it and checked the code on the computor, I seen it was clutch wiring/switch related. I removed the clutch switch and found it was sticking. Lubed the switch and re-installed it back on the bike. All is well now with the cruise and working as it should be. So it was'nt anything to do with the actual cruise control itself. I do have one question though. What exactly is the factory clutch switch used for on a stock bike or its purpose?

Top Bottom