New Member Saying Hi

Welcome Ray! It looks like you will have your new to you bike back to like new shortly. I hope you will keep us updated here as you progress. Happy trails!

OP
OP
rdmnt2002
Bike
2006 ST1300
Hi All,

Thanks for the warm welcome. All is well on the refurb. I have put on about 700 miles. Yesterday it was 55F outside and I saw two bars on the water temp for a bit….so, I may have a stuck thermostat. Also, I’m not sure if my SMC is seized…..I cannot use my hand to move/actuate it. I’m going to do the quick stop front brake only stop and see if I get any heat on the rear rotor. Other that that, she runs like a champ.

Take care,
Ray

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Ray, you can check the SMC without riding it.

With the bike on center stand, have someone rotate the rear wheel by hand and then move the SMC by hand.

If it doesn't move there's an issue and you shouldn't ride the bike without having it further checked out.

If seized "open" it could do the same when riding but sized "closed", locking the rear brake and result in an accident. Either way, it's just not a safe idea.

OP
OP
rdmnt2002
Bike
2006 ST1300
Well, that stinks. Have a day off coming up with an awesome ride planned….that kills that. I wish the ST just had normal brakes. Good riders don’t need linked brakes. The damn system is more dangerous because it is so complex.

I just ordered a whole new SMC OEM part. I know they can be rebuilt, but it seems like a finicky part….I’m not going to mess with it.

Last edited:

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Well, that stinks. Have a day off coming up with an awesome ride planned….that kills that. I wish the ST just had normal brakes. Good riders don’t need linked brakes. The damn system is more dangerous because it is so complex.

I just ordered a whole new SMC OEM part. I know they can be rebuilt, but it seems like a finicky part….I’m not going to mess with it.
Me too!

STOC #
Looks like that ‘06 found a good home. Welcome to a great forum and motorcycle. As to the linked brakes, I agree 100%. The brakes work great, but the intricate design does beg problems. I’m always very careful in gravel parking lots or slippery filling station surfaces; in these slow turns we know to use the rear brake but as the front is also applied in our case, proceed with caution.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rdmnt2002
Bike
2006 ST1300
NAILED IT ST PILI!! I hate not having absolute control over which wheel is braking and how much it is braking.

Top Bottom