New Member Says Hi

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
Hi all members, I am new to the ST family, just purchased a 2003 ST1300. Up to this year I've been riding a 1982 Honda Magna 750 and a 1997 Honda Nighthawk 750, and thought it was time for a real cruiser. Also moving from carbureted bikes to FI ones, obviously. I just took the ST for a short ride but... I need to do an overall review to assess the condition of the bike systems before serious use, new fluids, brakes/bearings etc.
Bike came with Michelin tires, so it's been loved. Small mishap (by POs) on the right side and missing the mirror rubber trim - bike it's got the rubber trim all around. Should someone have that piece of right mirror rubber trim laying around, or know a source please advise. I briefly tried ebay w-out success, and Partzilla and such don't seem to carry that (it seems it was an accessory).
But, all that aside, first ride was wonderful, and will be going to apply for title and register/insure the bike.
I am doing my own mechanical/electrical/hydraulic/body bike work, finished restoring a 84 Magna last year and working on restoring an 84 Shadow this year. However, I don't foresee major work on the ST as it's in pretty good shape (other than bringing maintenance up to date from my perspective).
Below is a pic of the new, to me, bike..

Attachments

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Welcome from Eastern Canada. :welcome1: :canflag1:

If that rubber part is a bit of the mirror wind deflector, you're right it was an optional Honda part. They are basically unobtainium now, unless you find someone willing to part with some bits. They normally command an arm and a leg (or at least a few fingers) when they do show up.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Welcome from WA STate...

And what obo said. I have those wind defectors, don't ever loose one. Keep your eye on eBay.
T

OP
OP
draser
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
Thank you gents, appreciate it!

Gave the bike a wash yesterday, as the bike is garaged at a friends house (my garage is full of other bikes). Minor scratches as expected (some are just clear coat deep), need to order touch up paint. Found a small leak at the right front caliper, unsure where it's coming from - will take all fairing off at some point to see what's under there. Will need brake pads as rotor was stained with brake fluid it seems, didn't see a fork leak on that side but I'm not sure. Brake and clutch fluids looked clear but it'll get flushed and replaced again.

Just assessing the state of the bike, getting to know her... Mufflers were replaced with Staintunes and it's also got the fork brace, pleasant surprise (or not, perhaps it needed it...). On the first ride took it up to 70mph and seemed pretty stable, but that means nothing from what I'm reading.

More to come.

:thumb:

Reactions: Obo

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Welcome from the Sierra Nevadas California! Looks like you purchased a really nice 'catch'. Glad to hear you're checking the bike out thoroughly. I've enjoyed mine now for 8 years (which is just the beginning). I just like my 2006. Be safe.

Top Bottom