New Missouri Helmet Law

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
As long as it costs someone $200/300K to become a doctor, its a business. How about we start with Med school costs and attack those higher institutions of learning with their spiraling out of control tuitions?

University costs in general could use some competition.

OP
OP
Walleye

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
Good question, well phrased Ray.
:think1:
With EU legislation being all encompassing on such matters, hey they pretty much set the world standards on helmets and protective clothing, I would have thought there would be few exemptions or exceptions from helmet law.
However, if you visit one or two of the out of the way Greek Islands then you may see some riding without and some of the old geezers on European pedal mopeds in backwater France, Italy and Spain are oblivious to such things.
It was the case and may still be that if you are a Sikh in the UK you are exempt if wearing your turban. Although there aren't many Sikhs wearing turbans on motorcycles. I think I'd have to travel at least 50 miles to see a Sikh let alone one on a motorbike.
Upt'North.

Last edited:

ColinW1981

Site Supporter
Bike
'06 ST1300A
STOC #
As someone who worked for awhile in the healthcare insurance industry I can tell you what every insurer in MS is doing right now. For the next renewal there will be a 'rider' (see how I did that:)), "Conditions sustained due to not wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle are NOT covered..." Just saying...

Bike
2000 ST1100
As someone who worked for awhile in the healthcare insurance industry I can tell you what every insurer in MS is doing right now. For the next renewal there will be a 'rider' (see how I did that:)), "Conditions sustained due to not wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle are NOT covered..." Just saying...
I don't think it will happen. Does the insurance company refuse to pay medical if their insured is drunk and slams into a bridge abuttment and suffers life threating injuries? Do motorcycle insurance companies even ask the question do you wear a helmet at all times while you are riding? I have never had one ask me.

Last edited:

ColinW1981

Site Supporter
Bike
'06 ST1300A
STOC #
Healthcare insurance and automotive (aka 'liability) insurance are two entirely different critters. Healthcare insurance can absolutely specify what medical conditions and how the 'insured' developed said condition they'll cover. Remember the hooplaw for the ACA and how "pre-existing" conditions are regulated. I spent 5 years as Workers Compensation Adjudicator but hey I could be wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time either...:rolleyes: )

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I can tell you what every insurer in MS is doing right now.
Anyone in Mississippi who can confirm?

I can tell you in Illinois, helmet optional state, and Missouri, formerly helmet required state, have no major differences in insurance prices or policy changes.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Healthcare insurance and automotive (aka 'liability) insurance are two entirely different critters. Healthcare insurance can absolutely specify what medical conditions and how the 'insured' developed said condition they'll cover. Remember the hooplaw for the ACA and how "pre-existing" conditions are regulated. I spent 5 years as Workers Compensation Adjudicator but hey I could be wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time either...:rolleyes: )
I dunno. I'm trying to recall when i had commerical health insurance did they require me to wear a seat belt before they would "pay". Seems like this would be a long shot for the health insurance companies inviting a lawsuit....but what do i know i'm not a lawyer:biggrin:

STOC #
We now can be ticketed for driving a car without a seat belt but not for riding a motorcycle without a helmet. Whatever. If it wasn't for some great motorcycle roads here in the Ozarks I would have moved a while ago.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Nobody said anything about your CHANCES of being in a collision with or without a helmet.
I did as counterpoint to what you said as evidence I got something wrong. The study you quoted did not address what I said. You got that wrong from the jump and proceeded to compare apple to oranges.

let’s just agree to disagree.
Capital idea.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I did as counterpoint to what you said as evidence I got something wrong. The study you quoted did not address what I said. You got that wrong from the jump and proceeded to compare apple to oranges.

Capital idea.
I compared apples to oranges? I wasn't the one who admittedly introduced the CHANCES of getting into an accident instead of injuries sustained with or without a helmet.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles

It's not like that in Ohio.

If they mandate wearing safety gear, they should also mandate against smoking, and drinking, and for having a BMI over 30. I mean where does it end?

Educate...don't legislate.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I just saw this thread:
I probably look like a geek most times, wearing my high viz airbag vest and hi viz armored shirt as well as helmet, boots, and pants, but in SC, I’m truly amazed at how many wear shorts and a T shirt when riding, and little else. The only time I have ridden w/o the helmet is low speed in a parking lot, and even that makes me a hair uncomfortable.

To each his own, I guess...so long as I don’t have to pay for the mistakes of others.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Interesting insight (to me) into helmetless/no safety gear riding -

I stopped one hot summer day fully suited up and a fellow rider came up wearing the usual flip flops/cutoffs/t-shirt -
"Ain't all that stuff hot?" he asked.
"Well, not as hot as sliding down the road without it" was my reply.
"I ain't planning on having no accident" he remarked.
"Bubba, I don't reckon I ever met anyone that was" I said and walked away. :biggrin:

Bike
2010 Honda ST13

To each his own, I guess...so long as I don’t have to pay for the mistakes of others.
Not to start a debate, but I think the argument for mandatory helmets would be that, as a society, we always pay for the mistakes of others in some large or small way. A simple example would be treating someone in the emergency room whether or not they have insurance, can afford to pay for the treatment or their injury was self-inflicted. It's just what civilized people do.. even for the foolish.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Not to start a debate, but I think the argument for mandatory helmets would be that, as a society, we always pay for the mistakes of others in some large or small way. A simple example would be treating someone in the emergency room whether or not they have insurance, can afford to pay for the treatment or their injury was self-inflicted. It's just what civilized people do.. even for the foolish.
Are we then going to have grocery police to make sure that people buying junk food have health insurance?

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Are we then going to have grocery police to make sure that people buying junk food have health insurance?
Good question. In this world we live in, we always need to draw the line somewhere.

I'm just glad the Diet Police don't have access to my refrigerator.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The only thing to fear is fear itself.

And staying one step ahead of the Fitness and Exercise Police – if you think the Diet Police are bad. Stop and Frisk is nothing compare to "Stop drop and give me 20!" Taking profiling to a new level.

Top Bottom