New owner of a ST1100 ,95 ABS,TCS/ Charging problem

Bike
ST1100, ABS,TCS,1995
Hi All,

Thanks for letting me join up.
Brought my first ST1100, about 6 mths ago, very happy so far, but just recently, having probs with charging. Followed all test through workshop book, found RR, to be at fault, thanks to all the forums I've been reading.
But still not charging, after replacement of RR, checked 3 yellows wires from stator/ alternator, not earthing out, but irregular readings of AC current test when running.

Im thinking it could be a faulty stator wire. Pulled out stator cover.
Stator windings looks good, but notice sealant at rear of cover weeping from oil.
Would there be any chance of repairing this as im pretty handy with all tools.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Sounds like your stator has had it. Some windings have likely shorted internally, thus the varied output readings. The readings should all be much the same. Not uncommon for them to leak oil either at the o-ring or the area where the wiring exits the housing. So if you have the stator off already (sounds like you do) you are halfway done, if you just want to replace it. Swing arm is off already too then?

Recommend you either buy a new stator, or do the 40 amp upgrade, which requires you to do a bit more work. Mike Martin's web site has the complete story on the 40 amp upgrade. That's the alternator that Honda put on the 1100,, after the '95 model year. http://koczarski.com/mmartin/ST_Maint

If your bike has extra electrical farkles, the 28 amp system may not be up to the task. That is why many 28 amp systems died premature deaths, plus the fact that the wiring from the stator was prone to corrosion at the various connectors found in the system. Regular maintenance of the connectors, or even the elimination of the red 3P is helpful to avoid problems.

Last edited:
OP
OP
packer549
Bike
ST1100, ABS,TCS,1995
Bush;186198plus sounds like your stator has had it. Some windings have likely shorted internally said:
http://koczarski.com/mmartin/ST_Maint[/URL]

If your bike has extra electrical farkles, the 28 amp system may not be up to the task. That is why many 28 amp systems died premature deaths, plus the fact that the wiring from the stator was prone to corrosion at the various connectors found in the system. Regular maintenance of the connectors, or even the elimination of the red 3P is helpful to avoid problems.
Hi Bush, thanks for the reply. Your words are true, Swingarm is already off as I have read a few post , that you can't get the stator or gearing out unless the arm comes off, so I bit the bullet and my tounge in the process of doing so .
Only took 2 hours plus making my own tool out of a high impact socket, to get the swingarm locking key out.
Is there any way of doing a bench test on the stator ?, to ckeck where the break may be ? before I indulge myself into considering to upgrade to a 40amp.

Searching as we speak for a stator aswell as a 40amp conversion. Not much over here in OZ. So it looks like I might have to pinch some money out of that majic brick wall, they call a money vending machine. Lol (teller machine)
Talk soon.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Searching as we speak for a stator aswell as a 40amp conversion. Not much over here in OZ.
Always monitor eBay on this, select [international] for the search and check shipment costs and methods...
Dunno if you have bike-breakers in Oz, also worth seeking.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Is there any way of doing a bench test on the stator ?, to ckeck where the break may be ?
Not that I am aware of. Did you check all the connectors for poor connections/corrosion, as the increased resistance may have decreased your stator output and not actually fried the stator yet. Sometimes the corrosion is only apparent by pulling the spades/wires out of that 3P red plastic housing.

OP
OP
packer549
Bike
ST1100, ABS,TCS,1995
Yep, sure did. Pulled apart all connectors, 3Red P, Black plug with black & white wires, 6 plug for RR, starter solenoid with fuse.
In process now of pulling apart stator housing, found that the 3 prong conector to coil windings were just hanging on , might resoldier that first, recheck continuity.
Let you how it goes. Might be a quick fix till i can get all the goods together for a upgrade to 40 amp.

OP
OP
packer549
Bike
ST1100, ABS,TCS,1995
Just been over a week now, still no bike on the road, woo man withdrawals setting in, don't like this feeling.
Found a site here in Oz, called Findapart.com.au, registered up. First day E-mails sent from many wreckers with no parts i need. 2nd day in a very helpful wrecker in W.A, E-mailed me ,said these futunate words to me, WE HAVE YOUR PART YOU REQUIRED. A Ex Police bike 40 amp Alternator & ring gear, for get this $ 250 including postage.
I had to slap myself to make sure I wasn't asleep. Phone the wreckers up to have a chat & check, & organise payment. Hells Bells there is a ST God.
No just waiting.
P.S- trying to work out how to put a photo up from my phone to this site of the old stator.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
A Ex Police bike 40 amp Alternator & ring gear, for get this $ 250 including postage.
Good find! Ask him if he also has the genny wiring harness and mains-fuse of named bike; you'll need those to connect the 40A unit in your pre '96 bike.

OP
OP
packer549
Bike
ST1100, ABS,TCS,1995
Arh crap, I'd knew I'd forgot something. Might have to make up me own, anybody got any photos or diagrams to go off to wire one up. Would be greatly appreciated. Just received alternator today (23/6/15), so wanting to get on the road soon, itching to go.

Sent an e-mail, back to the supplier, there gonna send the harness out . YES''

Just having problems trying to locate the drive gear back into the housing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom