New Poll : Does this count as a drop ??

Bike
2022 BMW RT 1250
I had just moved the bike a few feet away from the wall in order to replace a flat rear tire. I dismounted on the left side, using the side stand. I walked around to the right side of the bike and stood there for an unknown moment. I then realized the bike appeared to be moving. Immediately I grabbed the handle bars as it was tipping towards me. All I could do is to slow the rate of the fall. No damage (except a bruise to my shin). As I wasn't on the bike, had dismounted and able to walk around said bike, does this count as a 'drop'? I'm going to vote 'No'. Of course I may have a slight bias. ;)
IMG_5554.JPG

Bike
05 ST1300, 2000 K120
IMO it is a drop. It is on it's side as... I love it when someone says they have a 15+ Y/o bike thathas never been droped. Nothing to feel bad about it happens to everyone.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
So what did we learn in class today?
the center stand may be more useful when a tire is low or flat?
Or maybe a flat rear tire changes the angle of the contact points when using the side stand?
Glad it didn’t fall on you, and no damage was done to bike.
Nice save.

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I too dropped mine in the garage. Happened to be on it, side stand not fully deployed.
Probably the best place for such a blunder.

Bike
2001 ST1100
I’ve, ahem, (coughs & clears throat) “gently“ lowered mine un-intentionally 2wice.
1st time was 40 feet from Costco’s front door. Thought I‘ld drop dearest off and find a place to park. (Place was bizzzzzy). So as my dearest is sliding off - one foot on the ground the other not clearing the seat as well as she thought it would- she basically dragged me and the bike over. By the time I realized what was happening I had passed the point of no return as it got real heavy real fast. Over we went. From then on I’ve been on my side stand when dearest gets on or off.

2nd time I’m in the garage jostling the bike back and forth to move it over a bit to make more room to walk between dearests car and the bike. Not paying close enough attention I set the bike back on the side stand when I was done. Only I didn’t realize that at some point the stand was pushed back enough that when I set set the bike back down the side stand just folded up and over it came. I was not expecting or anticipating this and again it’s gone too far before I realized what was happening only this time I was a little pinned against dearests car and said bike. No damage to bike or car, however, my pride was a little bruised.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I’ve, ahem, (coughs & clears throat) “gently“ lowered mine un-intentionally 2wice.
1st time was 40 feet from Costco’s front door. Thought I‘ld drop dearest off and find a place to park. (Place was bizzzzzy). So as my dearest is sliding off - one foot on the ground the other not clearing the seat as well as she thought it would- she basically dragged me and the bike over. By the time I realized what was happening I had passed the point of no return as it got real heavy real fast. Over we went. From then on I’ve been on my side stand when dearest gets on or off.

2nd time I’m in the garage jostling the bike back and forth to move it over a bit to make more room to walk between dearests car and the bike. Not paying close enough attention I set the bike back on the side stand when I was done. Only I didn’t realize that at some point the stand was pushed back enough that when I set set the bike back down the side stand just folded up and over it came. I was not expecting or anticipating this and again it’s gone too far before I realized what was happening only this time I was a little pinned against dearests car and said bike. No damage to bike or car, however, my pride was a little bruised.
My pattern is to put the bike in neutral, plant my feet securely and tell my GF it's OK to get off. She knows to wait for my signal. So far, it's been working. I don't put the side stand down, mostly out of habit and yet I've often thought that I should as an extra measure of security.

Of course, I don't want to depend on the side stand to support the bike and passenger's weight if things go awry. Since I'm holding the bike upright and if things do happen to go awry, the bike will lean onto the side stand with momentum and could lever off the side stand making a tip over even worse. Oh my, what's an over-thinker to do?

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I initially wondered how the h ell your bike tipped the "other way" when on the side stand? Usually they lean over pretty good. Then Larry mentioned the rear tire was flat and then it hit me "ohhhh". Hard to believe it makes that much of a change in the lean, but I guess it does. :)

Sorry, but I would say if your bike is touching the ground on the tip over bars, then it's a DROP! haha

I've had my heavy 1300 pig for about 4 years now and the ground hasn't touched my tip over bars yet. (knock wood) A month after I got my bike though, I was taking it off the center stand and it leaned to the right, fell over and bumped into my stack of wood on my garage wall. I was lucky it did and it only leaned over a little but it still busted my signal light cover. I've since learned to turn the steering wheel to the right when coming off the center stand so the bike leans into you. :)

Do you have the rear tip over bars also? Hopefully your luggage wasn't damaged.

Last edited:

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
It's a drop. Bikes don't fall over without help unless an act of God like an earthquake. I dropped my bike once while on it, another while putting it on the centerstand. I owned up to it and my tipover count is at 2. lol...

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Ah crap, gotta chime in with a vote for “it’s a drop”. She just looks like she’s resting though :D (now that putting an ST to bed ).
For the record, I’ve a had several close calls this season and I feel like the drop fairies are just around the corner….
One thing is for sure, don’t EVER move the ST while wearing flip-flops :rolleyes:.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Common sight in Arizona parking lots. Side stands and center stands sink in asphalt and over they go.
The question is, if a bike falls over in a parking and nobody is there to see it, does it make noise :rofl1:

OP
OP
Team2010
Bike
2022 BMW RT 1250
So what did we learn in class today?...
Well I learned the angle of the bike changes with a flat rear tire when on the side stand ( it stands up straighter )and to be sure the handlebars are positioned correctly while on the side stand. Who would've thought ? :doh1:

...Bike rolling over and playing dead for a dog biscuit..
Yes, that's it. The STead learned that from watching my lab! :run1:

...Bikes don't fall over without help unless an act of God like an earthquake...
Well, I do live in California. :chairfall1:

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
Similar thing happened to me. Returned from a ride with a slow leak (unsuccessfully plugged), parked ST1300 on side stand, unpacked bike, returned to garage a couple of days later, slow leak had turned to a quick leak, found bike resting on RHS, no damage except for a scratch on muffler and scuff mark on plastic buffer.

I don't count that as a tip over, and neither will anyone else - I hope.

Last edited:
Top Bottom