New ride

Bike
2004 ST1300A
Well, after 9 years with the 2004 ST1300, I finally made a change this spring. Thought it was time for something newer. 9 years seems to be my refresh rate. Had my Kawasaki 600R Ninja for 9 years, then the Kawasaki Concours for 9 years, then the ST. So I looked around and bought a 2011 BMW R1200RT. It is fully loaded with all the good stuff 2011 had to offer!
Took a little while to get used to the boxer engine, but all good now after a few thousand km’s. Not quite the smoothness or the power of the Honda, but lighter weight helps. Seems more stable on the highway as well. Was still a sad day to see the trusty ST leave though.

Attachments

motofisch

(Scott)
Bike
2006 ST1300
And the ST had to leave in a TRAILER!?! It's so unnatural.

Enjoy your sweet new ride.

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
Congrats on the new ride. I too hated to part with my 07 ST but wanted something lighter also and found it in a new 2020 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT. Really Like it .
MIKE

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I have a 2012 RT and it has been a great bike, just as reliable as the ST for me. Hope you enjoy yours just as much.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Well, after 9 years with the 2004 ST1300, I finally made a change this spring. Thought it was time for something newer. 9 years seems to be my refresh rate. Had my Kawasaki 600R Ninja for 9 years, then the Kawasaki Concours for 9 years, then the ST. So I looked around and bought a 2011 BMW R1200RT. It is fully loaded with all the good stuff 2011 had to offer!
Took a little while to get used to the boxer engine, but all good now after a few thousand km’s. Not quite the smoothness or the power of the Honda, but lighter weight helps. Seems more stable on the highway as well. Was still a sad day to see the trusty ST leave though.
What does it mean to get used to the boxer engine? I a m curious about the RT as a potential next bike and the boxer engine is at the top of my curiosity.
Thanks, John

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Where do I start....Can't really compare a 2 -cyl boxer to a V4. You just have to take one out for a test ride. It's got character. It's not as smooth running as a V4. (Character vs no character). It likes to stay above say..2,7K. From there, it gives you plenty of torque. It will sound a little rough to you when idling. Again, character. Lower center of gravity than your V4 ST. Lighter bike, to the tune of....100-150 pounds. Piece of cake to work on, Oil and filter change is very easy. A valve check takes....30-45 minutes and very easy to do as well.

It's just a completely different engine. You'll see when you test ride one. If you do, I suggest you test ride a wethead, which means 2014 on.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
What does it mean to get used to the boxer engine? I a m curious about the RT as a potential next bike and the boxer engine is at the top of my curiosity.
Thanks, John
The boxer is a twin so it gives half as many power pulses over time as the V4 does and you feel a low frequency vibration at cruising rpms. Like Tor said the boxer doesn’t like to pull a load under 2700 rpm while the ST will pull from less than 2000 without complaint.

No, you don’t hit your feet on the cylinders. That’s not dumb. One thing about the boxer is that it’s made by folks that have been making motorcycles a long time and while the engine feel isn’t as refined as the Honda the feel of the entire bike is more of a piece. The suspension, handling, wind management, and standard features combine to complement the whole. It’s hard to define but the more I ride mine the more I appreciate the thought that went into it and like riding it more and more.

That’s not taking anything away from the ST. For many years I thought I’d be on an ST1300 forever. It did everything I asked of it and the V4 is a real gem.

Last edited:
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
The boxer is a twin so it gives half as many power pulses over time as the V4 does and you feel a low frequency vibration at cruising rpms. Like Tor said the boxer doesn’t like to pull a load under 2700 rpm while the ST will pull from less than 2000 without complaint.
Thank you! BMW sells a ton of them so I have always been curious about them and the tech on the 2021 looks amazing.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
No, you don’t hit your feet on the cylinders. That’s not dumb. One thing about the boxer is that it’s made by folks that have been making motorcycles a long time and while the engine feel isn’t as refined as the Honda the feel of the entire bike is more of a piece. The suspension, handling, wind management, and standard features combine to complement the whole. It’s hard to define but the more I ride mine the more I appreciate the thought that went into it and like riding it more and more.

That’s not taking anything away from the ST. For many years I thought I’d be on an ST1300 forever. It did everything I asked of it and the V4 is a real gem.
Thank you. I would really like to test ride sometime. I would appreciate having all the added features of the new RT. Time to keep dreaming!
John

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thank you. I would really like to test ride sometime. I would appreciate having all the added features of the new RT. Time to keep dreaming!
John
That's another thing. BMW dealers are willing as rule to entertain demo rides.

Top Bottom