New RoadSmarts, 1st ride...

Ok, I got a fresh set of RoadSmarts installed on my ST, and today I had my 1st ride on them.

The previous tires on the bike were Bridgestone BT020f front, and BT021 rear.
Tires changed for an up coming trip.

The Roadsmarts seem to have a slightly more aggressive profile to them, the bike seems more nimble now. I'm still in the scrub-in stage, so I don't fully trust them in the corners, however I did do some parking lot practice, and the tires feel quite planted. I am surprised that there is no squirming that I was expecting during the scrub in.

I am keeping track of the tread depth on both front and rear, starting at 0 miles.

I noticed that these tires seem louder than the Bridgestones, and the front tends to follow grooves a bit more.

Pressures, 43 rear, 42 front.
0 Miles, 6.5mm tread depth rear, 4.5mm front.

I have a 7000 mile trip coming up, so I fully expect to have these worn out in the next month or so. Hopefully they will last the entire trip, and with out any of the horror stories I'm reading about the Dunlops!

Tazmool

CaST

My first risers
Bike
ST1300A
I have had Roadsmarts on for about 3000 miles and they are great tires and corner with confidence that I did not have with the original tires.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
FWI: Last rear tire replaced on my '08 ST, April '09:

R (42psi) Dunlop Sportmax Road Smart 170/60ZR17 M/C (72W) 4,710 miles.

I also measure tread depth to try to come up with a better way of guessing how many miles are left on a tire. This is the only Road Smart tire I have data on so far, so it's not real accurate but I'm guessing 800 - 1,000 miles left on this one when I changed it out.

I'm not a racer or anything like that, so I don't profess to be able to describe and compare tires in much detail. I thought it handled fine, good cornering, not to loud and smooth on the straights. I maintained a constant pressure, not happy with the mileage when compared with PR2s.

Shuey

OP
OP
I have a few hundred km on the RoadSmarts so far.

I'm not terribly impressed.
The turn in is quicker, but the tires are not as confidence inspiring as the previous set when leaned over (BT021 BT020)

When leaned over, the front wants to follow every nook on the road, every wiggle. And if you run something over (pebble, or small stick) the bars want to wag.

Braking however, does feel better, the bike seems to have more braking force, so the tires have to be stickier.....

Maybe its a learning/break in curve.

Tazmool

Bike
ST
Hay Tazmoo,

I just replaced my first rear Roadsmart today. Got 10,000 miles out of it.
I expected more because of the cost and design

My front Road smart looks as though it still has 3 or 4 thousand miles left.

I do agree that the low speed handling was much improved , but my 021 bridgestones got about 2000 more miles per tire and cost about $30 less per tire.

I installed a Pirelli Diablo Rosso from Tires Unlimited. Great buy at $99.79. I don't know much about the Pirelli tires, but they seem to have a good reputation.

To sum it up, I liked the ride of the roadsmarts but was disappointed with their wear.

Paul:biker::biker:

Just put a new set on my C-14 for an upcoming 3,500 mile trip next week, my son is going also and he put a new set of PR2's on his C-14, same bikes, same road, we are going to look at them when we get back and see if the PR2's are that much better. If I can remember to take a before and after trip picture of the tires I'll post up.

I used a set of Roadsmarts on an ST11. Behaviour wise seemed slightly less eager to go over in corners, but was consistent in turn in. Grip was good, but mileage less than Z6 and Avons. I got 9000kms out of the front and back. Based on this I doubt mileage would be better or even equal to PR2s, but mileage varies a lot depending on where you are.

Bike
2006 ST1300
At 3k miles on my Roadsmarts I don't think I'll run them again. the rear is at 3/32 in., front at 4/32 in. Doubt I'll get to 5k miles. Running 45 psi front and rear.

The OEM stones went 7100 miles for me.

I've got no complaints with handling with either tire but with the stones costing less and lasting longer I may go back to them.

Kicking myself now for not buying the set of OEM stones from Tim for $230 delivered.

That extra ply in the sidewall makes all the difference. In mounting also!

bs

Bike
04 ST-1300
At 3k miles on my Roadsmarts I don't think I'll run them again. the rear is at 3/32 in., front at 4/32 in. Doubt I'll get to 5k miles. Running 45 psi front and rear.

The OEM stones went 7100 miles for me.

I've got no complaints with handling with either tire but with the stones costing less and lasting longer I may go back to them.

Kicking myself now for not buying the set of OEM stones from Tim for $230 delivered.

That extra ply in the sidewall makes all the difference. In mounting also!
I know everyone is all over the board when it comes to tires and the mileage they get. I decided to try the Roadsmarts and they were toast at less than 5K. They had a good feel, but not enough life for me to try again.:bl13:

CaST

My first risers
Bike
ST1300A
I have a few hundred km on the RoadSmarts so far.

I'm not terribly impressed.
The turn in is quicker, but the tires are not as confidence inspiring as the previous set when leaned over (BT021 BT020)

When leaned over, the front wants to follow every nook on the road, every wiggle. And if you run something over (pebble, or small stick) the bars want to wag.

Braking however, does feel better, the bike seems to have more braking force, so the tires have to be stickier.....

Maybe its a learning/break in curve.

Tazmool

Give you tires more time, with a couple hundre Km, they aren't broken in yet. Have you worn off the curb feelers yet?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Why are you running 45 PSI? The maximum pressure on the side wall is 42 PSI and also what Honda calls for. Do you suppose over-pressurizing them had anything to do with their premature demise?

Bike
2006 ST1300
Why are you running 45 PSI? The maximum pressure on the side wall is 42 PSI and also what Honda calls for. Do you suppose over-pressurizing them had anything to do with their premature demise?
No, I believe if I had been running 42 they would run hotter and would be more worn out.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
No, I believe if I had been running 42 they would run hotter and would be more worn out.
I know of at least one case (Hal Rumenapp) where he ruined an Avon Storm running it at 45 PSI within about 5K miles. Subsequent replacement Storms, run at 42 Max, lasted close to 10K (my experience as well). If the tire were rated at a maximum pressure of 45 PSI or more, I think your reasoning would be correct. But I don't think running tire pressures above the maximum indicated pressure on the side wall is a good idea.

OP
OP
Ok, I have put on about 2800 miles in the last week on my Roadsmarts, varying types of terrain ranging from hills of Northern Ontario, to the Flat-lands of Manitoba, Saskachewan and part of Alberta, and now I'm into the Rockies in British Columbia.

Weather ranging from HOT! to cold, dry and wet.

The tires do well in the rain, no complaints there.
I have worn through about 1.5mm of tread from new in the 2800 miles, so tire wear so far is good (measured 6.5mm of tread depth when new, @ 5mm as of yesterday)

The tires felt fine everywhere except the rockies... here in the super challenging mountain climbs and descents, the tires do not give me the confidence in the thousands of corners/sweepers/turns....

This is also the 1st time I've ever ridden in the mountains, and the bike is loaded down with heavy gear.

I also have a high speed weave at around 110mph+ due to the luggage.
I've already stripped all the luggage off the bike, and over the next few days I'll do more "testing" in the mountains :p

So far, the wear has been quite good however.

Tazmool

Bike
2006 ST 1300
I just put on some Dunlops and really like them! They seem to put the sport back in the sport/tourer! My bridgstones went 13,500 miles. I don't expect that with any tire so we will have to see how they do. But they do feel more confidence inspiring. probably because they actually have some tread!

Bike
Triumph trophy SE
STOC #
Hi All, You can but me in the not so Happy with the RoadSmarts.They are the second worst tire I have run ,First place gos to the 220 Dunflap.I've used two set of Z6,880 one set of Conti.RoadAttacks. I wont be using dunflap again. Going back to the Z6,880 compo. Just my 2 cents.ED:03biker:

Top Bottom