New ST1100 owner, big project....

Bike
92 ST1100
I took a little road trip today...

The PO laid the bike down to avoid a very personal meeting with a deer. There is some rashing, a few broken parts and a lot of cracks but otherwise is complete as far as I can tell and is in far better condition that I originally thought. I got her home and into the garage and I couldn't wait to get her naked! ;) No pictures of that, but it took me forever because I don't have a manual to refer to. I got all the plastic off except for the tail piece. Next I need to remove what I assume is the airbox (big round thing under the tank cover?). The PO told me he thinks the crossover between the carbs may have come loose so I want to take a look at that. I also need to take a look at the clutch hydraulics as there is no action there. What else should I look at in terms of first time with the Tupperware off? I am going to need a replacement for the upper piece of the left side cowl, the left side plastic that covers the crash bar, and the left side mirror assembly. Everything else should look pretty decent with a little work. Always open to suggestions and advice. Thanks in advance!

Bike
No bike
STOC #
Welcome to the forums! Good luck with the project, and enjoy the ride when you get her back on the road.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
That looks like a '93 model... most of the things you need will be easy to get. If you buy the upper fairing piece from mother Honda, you better crack open the wallet a little farther. Good luck with the repairs.

Just checked the parts fitch... good luck with that... no price listed, might have to find it used.

OP
OP
Bike
92 ST1100
Awesome, thanks! Unfortunately I didn't see the upper cowl, but I can use a couple of the other pieces listed there. SCORE!

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Good luck with your project. It has started out well in that you did not have to stop quickly bringing it home. I see the girl in your truck had that happened.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I'm with John, I don't recognize the broken part. And John and I have been as deep into the 1100 as just about everyone.

BTW, I'm sorting my left over 1100 parts to post a "come get it" offer. Might have something you can use... pictures forthcoming.

OP
OP
Bike
92 ST1100
That, my friends, was splitting the fuel to the left and right carb banks. The PO told me fuel was spill when he would start it and it would only run off one side. Because of that crack, all (or at least most) of the fuel intended for the left side of the bike poured onto the ground. I replaced it with a brass T because I couldn't find the same part local. I'd be curious to know what is supposed to be there.
Also, George, when you part that bike out let me know. I need a few things. Left hand mirror (believe it or not, the cover is in great shape), and upper left hand cowl are the only things right now that aren't usable at all.

OP
OP
Bike
92 ST1100
So, we had the bike running (briefly) the day I picked it up, on only one side, of course. Since I've gotten it home, I can't seem to get it running. I replaced that cracked part and some torn fuel line that I may have torn myself (to be fair, it's all gotten very squishy and I'll need to replace every inch of it eventually). I checked the fuel filter and it looks reasonably clean. I've checked the fuel pump and, without actually testing pressure or flow, it seems to be working. I made sure there was plenty of fresh gas in the tank and even turned the key with the line disconnected to make sure it was actually pumping (it just occurred to me I didn't try it through the inline filter so I'll take a look at that, too). After that, it fires up for a moment and dies out almost immediately. Basically, it looks to me like I'm gonna have to pull carbs...

Now, I do realize that the beauty of pulling that really huge and intimidating carb assembly is a)familiarity - learn how they're set up and how they function b)getting them to a known quantity - that was a huge benefit when troubleshooting problems with my Nighthawk. I could rule certain problems out because I KNEW what had already been addressed. c) access to the surrounding areas - there is maintenance I could do while the carbs are out of the way and probably a lot of cleaning as well.

But I don't wanna

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
So, we had the bike running (briefly) the day I picked it up, on only one side, of course. Since I've gotten it home, I can't seem to get it running. I replaced that cracked part and some torn fuel line that I may have torn myself (to be fair, it's all gotten very squishy and I'll need to replace every inch of it eventually). I checked the fuel filter and it looks reasonably clean. I've checked the fuel pump and, without actually testing pressure or flow, it seems to be working. I made sure there was plenty of fresh gas in the tank and even turned the key with the line disconnected to make sure it was actually pumping (it just occurred to me I didn't try it through the inline filter so I'll take a look at that, too). After that, it fires up for a moment and dies out almost immediately. Basically, it looks to me like I'm gonna have to pull carbs...

Now, I do realize that the beauty of pulling that really huge and intimidating carb assembly is a)familiarity - learn how they're set up and how they function b)getting them to a known quantity - that was a huge benefit when troubleshooting problems with my Nighthawk. I could rule certain problems out because I KNEW what had already been addressed. c) access to the surrounding areas - there is maintenance I could do while the carbs are out of the way and probably a lot of cleaning as well.

But I don't wanna
Great article on carb removal and cleaning here:

http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=10249.0

OP
OP
Bike
92 ST1100
Large update tonight...
This is how the bike is sitting right now. It's been way to hot and humid to get much done in my garage, but I've been fiddling with trying to get her started. I finally called it tonight and pulled the carbs and, you know, it wasn't nearly as bad as I was fearing.

Wanna know the best part? Even though I might want to replace the boots where the carbs mount to the motor, there is no fighting the intake boots, heating them, or otherwise trying to revive 30+ year old rubber. AND, as near as I can tell, at least compared to a Nighthawk, re-installing the carbs looks to be a relatively simple procedure. I might be over simplifying a bit (or maybe a LOT), but it looks like you set them into the boots and push them in. More or less. -LOL- Even reconnecting the cables is pretty straight forward as they're all out in plain sight. Apparently the area under the carbs makes for some very vermin friendly housing tho...

The carbs are sitting on my bench (in my air conditioned basement!) waiting for a thorough going over. It was getting late by the time I got them pulled and in the house so all I've done so far was to pull some hoses off and drain the old gas from the float bowls...

Sooo, obviously some crud in the float bowls=obviously some crud has moved through the jets... and maybe some of it stopped moving before it exited said jets. Regardless, there is obviously a need for this cleaning. ALSO, why is it green?!? I can't say I've ever seen that before...

BTW, Terry, thanks for the link!

OP
OP
Bike
92 ST1100
I took more pics of the carbs. This is basically what all the bowls looked like...

and the jets...

All 4 of these were completely blocked and I spent 4+ hours just cleaning jets. I think I got them pretty good now.

As for the slide diaphragms...

That can't be good!
My question is this; Is there a way to replace just the diaphragms or do I have to replace the slides and all?

why is it green
One guys opinion not mine

[FONT=&amp]First the lighter chemicals evaporate - leaving behind a less volatile mixture. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Next comes oxidation - some of the hydrocarbons in the fuel react with oxygen to produce new compounds. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The gasoline will give off a foul odor, the color will get darker (clear, gold, tan, green) and the new compounds will join together, to form particles of gum (hence the phrase - my carburetors are gummed up). [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]As the oxidation and evaporation process continues, eventually the only thing left will be dry, green, gunk. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]All the liquid has evaporated. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The newly formed compounds have rusted away. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]It looks green, cause some compounds turn green when they get rusty (oxidize) - copper for one. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The Statue of Liberty is made of copper. That's why it's green in color. Place a penny in a glass of water for a few weeks to see it get rusty and turn green.[/FONT]

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Over here the unleaded 95oct is already "green" when pumped and leaves just that nasty grime inside carb bowls and jets if left sitting for a while (even worse with the friggen ethanol now...)

Carb diaphragms should be avail here: http://www.nrp-carbs.co.uk/honda_carburettor_diaphragms.htm
Its a "slip on kit" thus more reasonable priced as OEM Honda which do come with new sliders...
I recently used one on a CB750 Nighthawk, installation worked flawlessly.
While at it I'd also order a fuel-valve/pet-cock rebuild kit there, containing the diaphragm & seal.
And as others noted: check & replace all coolant hoses, elbows, O-rings, radiator cap, etc... rubber ages...

OP
OP
Bike
92 ST1100
Carbs have been gone through. From my previous carb service experiences, I fully expect to install them, realize something isn't quite right, remove and disassemble them again, CLEAN them again, install them again, and maybe rinse and repeat! Seriously tho... the plan is to clean and inspect the under carb area, install the carbs this weekend, turn the key, and marvel at the wonder that is the ST1100! Please say a little prayer for me...;)

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I think I pulled my carbs out 5 or 6 times (I was losing count, and hope...) bringing my ST back to life. I probably had the carbs clean enough (they did look like your jets) on the second try but ended up with a misfire in the midrange. Just FYI my problem turned out to be partly electrical due to some corrosion on the red connector that is behind the steering head, leading to low voltage at the ECU and weak sparks. While you have the bike stripped, I'd suggest you at least pull those connectors out and look at them, maybe treat them to some dielectric grease. YMMV.

GUMMY CARBS!! im not looking forward to doing that project,but im afraid im gonna have to!! good luck!

Top Bottom