New Stelvio First Ride

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
As fate would have it, I got to see one about a month ago on the pass it is named for. I was leading a small group of bikes down the Bormio side from the top of Passo Stelvio. About a 1/3 of the way down in a section of switchbacks there is a small food/drink hut on one of the turns with a small parking lot (I attached an older pic - the hut is at the bottom, right of mid center with a small blue/green umbrella visible). There was a small film crew set up in the parking lot and a rider in full leathers stopping traffic from continuing on down. I asked the rider what was going on and he said they were filming a video for the new Moto Guzzi Stelvio. I was so busy chatting with him that I didn't see the actual motorcycle until it was coming towards us about a football field away. It was an orange and silver one and it went right by us around the switchback at the hut.

I wanted to stop and take a picture, but there was nowhere to park, and the crew were hustling everyone to move on, but it was cool to see. I've owned a couple of Guzzis over the years and plan to give this one a serious look when it goes on sale.

Passo Stelvio.jpg

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
As a boomer-Luddite it's still a little to Transformer-ish for me. I will always prefer (with rare exception) a UJM look for a basic bike. The older Trans Alp or Africa Twin profile doesn't do anything for me but the traditional or semi-traditional look of the headlight and turn signals mitigates my overall perception.

But new bikes are new bikes and as long as somebody likes them it's all good.

Top Bottom