New tent opening review. Mountainsmith Morrison 2P.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I needed a new tent so I've been looking. I bought a "Mountainsmith Morrison 2P" 2 person tent off Amazon. It is of the style I like, 2 poles small size, fits in ST1300 sidecase.

It actually has twice as many vestibules and doors at 2, and twice as many upper air vents, 2 than my outgoing Eureka Sunriver 2 tent. On first set up in the living room it looks like it's near the same quality as the Eureka tents and I'm sure it will work. I think it's a couple inches taller then the old tent. I was concerned a bit that some pictures did not show a center side stake out loop on the ends but the videos did. This tent does have the stake loop on the end centers. I've found if you stake those ends out the ground cloth will not have rain on top that runs down the tent end sides. And the color is a bit tamer than the old tent. Bright tent fabric makes for a bright tent in the morning when the sun rises.

Downside is it has about 15% more fabric panel than my last tent and therefore less no-see-um net area. It will may make mind think it's hotter and less breeze but I doubt it. Hot is hot and I carry a 2 D cell small fan for a breeze in the tent. It does not come with a ground cloth but no concern for me as I use a piece of Tyvek for the ground cloth.

If you're interested this tent was marked closeout on several sites and I found it cheap enough on Amazon at $139.74 with sales tax to my door. $140 is like one night at a motel hotel so I think it will be money saved first trip.

Just info I bought the Eureka Sunriver 2 in 2017 for an Alaska trip and has been used exclusively a bunch since. I think it has probably at least 225 nights of use. The tent poles for some reason started breaking on me in the last 2 years and the fabric is getting sun thinned.

And it seems to be play approved by the wife's cats.

70306A64-CDBF-4738-8FCF-EA95B25E3923.jpeg

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've used that tent before, very nice value.
One thing I love about it is the doors are offset so no matter how you put the fly on, it's right, no looking for colored tabs or poles to get the fly setup and that makes it a very fast setup.

Also, the doors have their own built in windows so you can leave the fly open but adjust the opening of the inner tent doors which is very unique you don't see on many tents at all.

Top Bottom