New tires for The BeaST

challenger

R.I.P. - 2023/11/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Took a short trip a couple of weeks ago and one of the other riders remarked my rear tire looked a bit worn ... when I got home I took some pictures and immediately set about replacing both front & rear tires.

The PO had been running PR2's, but I have never been fond of Michelin tires so I had ordered and received a set of Bridgestone Battlax BT023GT. When I spoke with Keel Brothers, I told them that about 90% of my riding was single and straight line ... curves are optional in Lower Alabama ... and they said the BT023GT would be a good choice.

Had them installed at the local Goodyear Tire store ... $26 to remove the PR2s and install the GT's ... that was for the PAIR and included old tire disposal. They went on The BeaST at 26829 and I am at 26941.

The first thing I realized was that my legs suddenly got about 2" shorter. I could sit flat footed with the old PR2s bur I am now on tiptoes with the GTs. Once I was underway the ride was smooth and steady. From 5 - 65mph nothing untoward happened ... it was almost like being on rails. I did notice that I didn't need to coax or push it into a lean for curves ... it went into and out of curves VERY easily. Took it up to 90-100mph for a couple of sprints and felt nothing wrong with ride or performance ... then I went through a nearby set of "S" curves at speeds of 50-65mph and again it went into the curves easily and tracked like on rails.

Mind you this is VERY preliminary and totally subjective ... I'll try and keep posting ... but it is just too much fun to ride!!

:dr13:

Attachments

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Saying your old tire "looked a bit worn" qualifies as the understatement of the year! :eek:

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Well, it's never quite fair to compare a new set of tires to a worn out set. The difference in tire profile is significant. Still, it's good to hear "happy happy joy joy" on the 'Stones, since I have a set heading my way. Of course, mine are backups, since I just put new tires on about 300 miles ago.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Took a short trip a couple of weeks ago and one of the other riders remarked my rear tire looked a bit worn ... when I got home I took some pictures and immediately set about replacing both front & rear tires.

The PO had been running PR2's, but I have never been fond of Michelin tires so I had ordered and received a set of Bridgestone Battlax BT023GT. When I spoke with Keel Brothers, I told them that about 90% of my riding was single and straight line ... curves are optional in Lower Alabama ... and they said the BT023GT would be a good choice.

Had them installed at the local Goodyear Tire store ... $26 to remove the PR2s and install the GT's ... that was for the PAIR and included old tire disposal. They went on The BeaST at 26829 and I am at 26941.

The first thing I realized was that my legs suddenly got about 2" shorter. I could sit flat footed with the old PR2s bur I am now on tiptoes with the GTs. Once I was underway the ride was smooth and steady. From 5 - 65mph nothing untoward happened ... it was almost like being on rails. I did notice that I didn't need to coax or push it into a lean for curves ... it went into and out of curves VERY easily. Took it up to 90-100mph for a couple of sprints and felt nothing wrong with ride or performance ... then I went through a nearby set of "S" curves at speeds of 50-65mph and again it went into the curves easily and tracked like on rails.

Mind you this is VERY preliminary and totally subjective ... I'll try and keep posting ... but it is just too much fun to ride!!

:dr13:
New tires bring out the best in our machines but added seat height is an illusion unless tire sizes are not stock. New motorcycle tires have on average 1/4" tread depth from new to bald.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
New tires bring out the best in our machines but added seat height is an illusion unless tire sizes are not stock.
Another common explanation is inflation pressure. A low tire, combined with major tread wear replaced by a fresh skin possibly inflated to maximum pressure can easily make a difference in seat height. The difference may not be great but more than 1/4", and feel like much more than that.

Saying your old tire "looked a bit worn" qualifies as the understatement of the year!
That's for sure. There's no way I'd get on a bike with a tire in that shape. It must have felt like he's riding on a road covered with pudding.

OP
OP
challenger

challenger

R.I.P. - 2023/11/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
... I ordered and received a set of Bridgestone Battlax BT023GT. When I spoke with Keel Brothers, I told them that about 90% of my riding was single and straight line ... curves are optional in Lower Alabama ... and they said the BT023GT would be a good choice.
Had them installed at the local Goodyear Tire store ... $26 to remove the PR2s and install the GT's ... that was for the PAIR and included old tire disposal. Once I was underway the ride was smooth and steady. From 5 - 65mph nothing untoward happened ... it was almost like being on rails. I did notice that I didn't need to coax or push it into a lean for curves ... it went into and out of curves VERY easily. Took it up to 90-100mph for a couple of sprints and felt nothing wrong with ride or performance ... then I went through a nearby set of "S" curves at speeds of 50-65mph and again it went into the curves easily and tracked like on rails. Mind you this is VERY preliminary and totally subjective ... I'll try and keep posting ... but it is just too much fun to ride!!
FINALLY ... time to write my evaluation ... FANTASTIC!!

Put the tires on at 26829 and I am at 31722 with 4893 miles ridden in mostly sunny weather, some in the cold (40 degrees) and very little in the rain. I love them ... they are FANTASTIC! For straight line riding, back roads and the interstate, they are as true and smooth as a car. At speeds of 80-90 miles an hour on the slab, I get very little front end wobble when passing big rigs ... mostly from the specific type of tractor/trailer ... but if I goose it I am around the 18 wheeler and back in clean air before the driver can blink. The 450+ miles trip I made in October was fully covered in my "What did you do with ..." essay.

I have a short run of twisties, about 8 miles that I like to ride once a week, and they take the curves like they were born to them, easy over and easy up, left or right, climbing or diving, NO PROBLEMS. No wallowing or wobbles in the curves and instant response to slight corrections. Confidence is HIGH! Going on a RTE with Sandman Friday, about 250 miles round trip over some of the roads that I planned for DIXIE-STOC. If we have a good time I will be modifying one of the ride routes to include MORE mileage over these roads!

Like I said ... $26 to have the tires mounted and old ones disposed of ... that did NOT include balancing ... the ONLY balancing done was lining up the YELLOW dot with the VALVE stem ... and ride. NO issues whatsoever ... just pull routine maintenance, start it, and ride like I stole it. I am TOTALLY satisfied and will be ordering more from Two Brothers when the need arises.

OP
OP
challenger

challenger

R.I.P. - 2023/11/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I decided to pull vehicle maintenance today, changed the oil and filter in the lawn tractor, worked on the CB900C, washed the vans and the ST and teaching my son about waxing bikes.

While I had BeaST on center stand I decided to check the tires for wear and the results were mixed. They currently have 32783 miles on them and both tires look as if they could do another 5 or 6 thousand miles easily. I am NOT contemplating changing them before August ... BUT both tires are cupping and the tire pressure is 42# in each. I have not noticed anything untoward in BeaSTs handling performance, no squirrelliness in corners or wobbles on the flats and these are the BT023GTs from Keel Brothers.

I’ll ride them until they are gone, and I will talk with KB soon about suggestions and possible replacements. Here are some pics.

DSCF2073.jpgDSCF2074.jpgDSCF2077.jpgDSCF2078.jpg

Top Bottom