New Tires Front and Rear to Try

Northern Dancer

Northern-Dancer
Bike
ST1300PA Police
Has anyone tried the Bridgestone G709 Front Tire on a ST1300? See WEB Site Link for Comparison between the G709 and OEM Front Tire for a ST1300. On a Goldwing this Tire never never Cups and lasts 15,000 to 20,000 Miles.

Its Size is very close to the ST1300 OEM Tire 130/70-18 vs 120/70-18

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

Also I have been running Car Tires on My Burgman Executive 650 and My Goldwing 1800 2 Years now and the best Tire ever for the Goldwing is the GoodYear TripleTred 205/60-16 -- It sticks like glue, stops safely if you have a sudden flat, wears like Iron with guys getting 45,000 Miles on the heavy Goldwing.

The GoodYear TripleTred has a Size 205/50-17 that should be compatible with the ST1300 that I hope someone tries soon and lets us know if it fits OK. I got burnt in that I purchased a 205 50 17 89v Pirelli Euforia Runflat Tire, mounted this Tire only to find it would not fit. So being gun shy I initially am going with the Hankook that I know fits.

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
I am using the Elite 3 Goldwing tire on my 1300. At 18,000 miles it is right at due for replacement and I am getting another one. I expect that most if not all 130/70 tires will work. The other tires you mention I have no experience with.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Who will be the first to run a Goldwing tire on the front and a car tire on the back? Let us know.

OP
OP
Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer

Northern-Dancer
Bike
ST1300PA Police
I Had a Member PM me asking what was wrong with the Perelli Rear Tire I Tried -- This was my reply:

Thought it best to share with all that are interested:

Hi Dan,

I took all the measurements prior to mounting it on my Rim and looked OK.

After I mounted it I found there was no way possible to get it by the narrow part of the Rear Swing Arm. This is a Run Flat Tire and the Side Wall remains extra stiff even when it has no air.

They work on a Goldwing because it has a single sided swing arm.

For the ST1300 we will need to stick with the Non-Run Flat models and they put more tread on the ground anyway in a corner.

The GoodYear TripleTred Tire I run on the Goldwing is a Non-Run Flat but it also has a stiff Side wall that adds to safety in the event of a rapid air loss. Although it is not as stiff as a Run-Flat I am not certain I could get it by that ABS Sensor on the Swing Arm.

Seeing as I have wasted the cost of Mounting and unmounting the Perelli and taking the loss on a Tire exchange I was hoping to find another ST1300 Owner who has tried the GoodYear.

Regards,

Ron

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'm up for trying anything on the front that will improve my mileage. I think I got about 7k miles out of my front PR2; around 12k on my Storm 2 front; and just mounted up a Z6 to see how it lasts. I would love to get as many miles out of a front tire as I can get out of a rear CT.

Jim

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I'm up for trying anything on the front that will improve my mileage. I think I got about 7k miles out of my front PR2; around 12k on my Storm 2 front; and just mounted up a Z6 to see how it lasts. I would love to get as many miles out of a front tire as I can get out of a rear CT.

Jim
Jim my Z6 is just about dead with 7500 hard miles on it.

Bike
ST1300
I am using the Elite 3 Goldwing tire on my 1300. At 18,000 miles it is right at due for replacement and I am getting another one. I expect that most if not all 130/70 tires will work. The other tires you mention I have no experience with.
Arnie, did you notice much difference with that tire on the front? Did it 'slow down' the response or make it heavier? I always liked the Elite 2 on my GL-500's was getting 24-25,000 from a front - but then it was a much lighter bike too.

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
I did not notice any real difference with the handling using the Elite 3. It was a bias tire. I am getting a radial put on today. I should be on a trip with it next week. I will see then if I can tell a difference from the bias.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'm up for trying the Goodyear for my next CT, but that won't be until next summer. I'm putting on my new Hankook very soon, so I won't be needing another for 15k miles.

Jim

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I did not notice any real difference with the handling using the Elite 3. It was a bias tire. I am getting a radial put on today. I should be on a trip with it next week. I will see then if I can tell a difference from the bias.

How many miles did you get out of the Elite 3?

OP
OP
Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer

Northern-Dancer
Bike
ST1300PA Police

It is getting Cold and Raining a lot in this North Country -- it was freezing last night and snow expected Saturday. BUT I have managed 3 good runs with my New Hankook 205/50-17 Rear Car Tire using 42 psi and my Goldwing type Bridgestone 130/70-18 front Tire using 34 psi and find this combination fantastic!!!

The Larger size Front Tire has raised my Headlight some which was needed and I found the ST1300 Headlight Adjustment hard to get to so now no need. The 34 psi in the Front G709 is all that is needed as it has a stiff side wall and with this lower pressure it gives a softer ride and has a good foot print sticking like glue in the corners. My experience using this G709 on my Goldwing produces up to 20,000 miles with zero cupping, On my Goldwing I use Centramatics to balance wheels and use Dynbeads on my ST1300PA Police Model.

Really happy with the Hankook Rear Car Tire as with the Narrow ST1300PA 5-Inch Rear Rim pulls this Tire Profile inward somewhat giving it a rounded contour. At 42psi I am finding the Sidewalls stiff enough for me and I am always riding 1 Up as my Police Model has a SOLO Saddle yet gives a much softer ride then the OEM Motorcycle Tires inflated at 42 psi. This Hankook may feel softer but believe me this Tire sticks like Velcro to Wool in the Corners. LOVE IT!!

Now I have a ST1300 that can really be used as a long distance Tour Bike.

Check my Gallery for pictures.

Can't wait for Spring,

Norther Dancer,

Ron

Last edited:
Top Bottom