New tires on my VFR today

Bike
2005 VFR800
I've had Michelin Pilot 2 on my VFR sense I bought it a year ago. I put about 4000 miles on it and I liked the way it handled and rode. Today I had 2 new Michelin Pilot Power 5 tires on and I had no clue my VFR could ride and handle so good. Seriously, though no way I could keep up with those little rice rocket in the twisties. But damn, this is like I'm riding an entirely different machine, Very impressed with these tires.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The Road series of tires are top shelf. On the other hand the PR2 hasn't been current for maybe 9 or 10 years so I'm not surprised you can tell a difference. I wonder how old the PR2s you replaced were.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Don't forget those new puppies likely still have mold release agent on them and are more slippery than normal!!

You need to break them in cautiously

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
While it is still prudent to scrub in new tyres for 100 or so miles, before cutting loose, it's my understanding that fewer manufacturers are actually using "mold release" today.
I don't know which specific hoop-makers may still use it, but either way I will continue to be easier in my riding styles until they are scuffed-looking.
Not saying I'm an expert on new tyres. Or much of anything, really.
The feel of new quality shoes IS a delight, is it not?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
While it is still prudent to scrub in new tyres for 100 or so miles, before cutting loose, it's my understanding that fewer manufacturers are actually using "mold release" today.
I don't know which specific hoop-makers may still use it, but either way I will continue to be easier in my riding styles until they are scuffed-looking.
Not saying I'm an expert on new tyres. Or much of anything, really.
The feel of new quality shoes IS a delight, is it not?
I've read the same... no major tire manufacturer uses mold release anymore, and hasn't for many years. None of the new tires I've ordered in the past 8 years have had anything noticeable on them either. I still gradually scrub them in though.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
From what I have read, most of the major brand manufacturers no longer use any release agent or they use so little that it is irrelevant. A break-in period is still required however. It seems that what goes on when breaking in a tire is a more complex than we are aware of and it is still required, presence a release agent or not, to generate sufficient heat to complete the chemical process of curing the tire.

From the manufacturers.

OP
OP
SerraMesaBill
Bike
2005 VFR800
The Road series of tires are top shelf. On the other hand the PR2 hasn't been current for maybe 9 or 10 years so I'm not surprised you can tell a difference. I wonder how old the PR2s you replaced were.
haven't a clue, but the owner of the shop who replace them commented that they were older tires. They didn't appear to be that old.

OP
OP
SerraMesaBill
Bike
2005 VFR800
It also told me to make sure I break them in or they with leave me rubbing my ass. So There awesome and I really haven't given them a fair run yet.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
haven't a clue, but the owner of the shop who replace them commented that they were older tires. They didn't appear to be that old.
There's actually a date of manufacture on the side wall. Year and week in which it was made in a 4 digit code. Google it for examples and placement.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
It will say DOT, maybe a couple of letters, then a four-digit code.

The first two digits are the week of the year the second two are the year.

Example: 2719 would be the 27th week of 2019.

Top Bottom