New-to-me 2004 '1300

Howdy folks!
I got hit by a truck on my bike and put in the hospital on Friday the 13th of January this year. I ended up losing the big toe on my left foot.

So naturally the first thing I did when I got my insurance payout was buy another motorcycle!

I found an ad for a 2004 ST1300 with only 65,000 mi on the clock and if the pictures I've seen online are correct then the odometer has not been rolled over unless it really does have over 999, 999 miles on it.

So I cadged a ride over and bought it immediately.

Upshifting is not a lot of fun at the moment but I can at least put my foot down without dropping the bike.

The First Thing I'm going to have to do is adjust that adjustable rod on the shift linkage to move the shift lever higher because it's currently set low like for someone wearing flip flops, not motorcycle boots so I have to point my toe almost straight down to get under the lever, then upshift.

Anyway! So far I love the heck out of this bike and I plan to put some decent time and miles on it!

The Next Thing is going to be buying a factory service manual or several and going through the posts in the forums.

Regards,
Scott

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Welcome from WA STate.

Be sure to read up on the Secondary Master Cylinder and check yours before riding much. I bet your rear shock preload adjuster will need some love as well.
T

Welcome aboard!

I have respect for those who have suffered physically from a bike mishap, and esp considering your ultimate outcome ... and get back to riding !!

It goes without saying, great choice for a new bike :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scott_Ci
Thank you, Todd, Larry!

A friend on this site, Brant, had an ST1100 and I'd registered here before. That made it interesting to set up again. <laughing>

The clutch slave and bleeding is another item on The List along with the shock preload and seat height.
The brakes were done at the dealership before I picked it up and a new battery was installed.

Right now I just walk out to the garage, smile, then go back inside. I haven't had a car for almost ten years so losing my old bike put me between a rock and a hard place because I have to see the doctor _every day_ and taxis/public transit is not even remotely feasible.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I've seen online are correct then the odometer has not been rolled over unless it really does have over 999, 999 miles on it.
The odometer can only display up to 199,999 before rolling over to zero.

I knew someone who was crippled in a motorcycle racing accident. He had an arm made so that he could shift with his hand, and after someone velcroed his feet to the pegs he was off to the races.

Good for you, enjoy your ride.

OP
OP
Scott_Ci
The odometer can only display up to 199,999 before rolling over to zero.

I knew someone who was crippled in a motorcycle racing accident. He had an arm made so that he could shift with his hand, and after someone velcroed his feet to the pegs he was off to the races.

Good for you, enjoy your ride.
Ah, so it doesn't go 1,2,3,4. It just rolls back over after 200k. Thank you!

Yeah, I was getting... options from the initial surgeons and rehab doctors. They removed part of the side of my foot so I can get a prosthetic toe fitted.

I told them I wanted an Adamantium claw fitted up like Wolverine and they laughed and said to check the scrap yards because it's hard to buy that stuff new. After everything is healed up, I'm going riding with a few of the doctors and nurses, they ride too.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your :bl13:! :hat3:

Yeah, I'm not sure if I would trust any shop on flushing the brakes. Unless they were doing a bunch of ST1300Ps (cop bikes - :ukp1:

Even then, I'd go back and redo them. :think1:

Check with @Igofar , resident ST1300 Whisperer, for advise.

OP
OP
Scott_Ci
Awesome! Folks from all over the world too! Thank you for the welcome!

All the fluids will be flushed after I ride for a while.

Right now the fluids are clean and clear with no chunks-o-stuff floating in the reservoirs from rust and old rubber or swirly colors like you'd get from a borked fluid change. They're not squishy so the mechs did a good job.

I'm doing as little riding as possible right now. It hurts like blue blazes to upshift and if I keep doing that I'll bust up my foot again and have to start all over.

The doctors and nurses would be very unhappy with me after they told me not to do that. <sheepish look>

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm no engineer, but I'd be willing to bet some smart people could design an adapter of some sort to allow shifting with a different part of your foot.
There is a lot of creativity to be found, just not with me.
An engineer friend of mine adapted all the hand controls over to the left grip for another friend of ours, who had lost his right arm in a crash while racing on the track.
After he got used to it, he got back out there and continued racing.
He was quite competitive, and a good rider.
With a full tractor trailer load more spine than me.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Welcome to our wild and wacky ST world. As others I admire your stick to it ness. I met a guy in a Honda DCT forum that lost his lower left leg in a motorcycle accident and when he completed rehab with his prosthetic leg and foot he bought a Honda NC700X DCT because it can shift through the 6 gears without the use of a toe shifter. He used to track race so he bought a second one and turned the first one into a track only bike and regularly goes to the race track with it.

OP
OP
Scott_Ci
Aside from the racing and track bit, I'd be looking at doing something with a dual clutch/paddle shift BUT!

I rode around today and had almost no problem upshifting. It's getting better really quickly, I just had to be gentle and use the upper part of my boot when I shift and pretend like I was riding in the rain.

Oh, wait, it was raining.... :rofl1:

With all the storms I think California is going to wash out into the ocean before an earthquake has a chance to shake it there.

Top Bottom