New to Me Bonneville T120

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I just bought a 2022 Bonneville T120 Gold Line.
It's used with 3700 miles from a dealer and still under factory warranty. It's still at the dealer, I just need to make plans to pick it up.

I liked the looks of the Gold Line as soon as it came out and sort of expected it to become a desirable classic. That hasn't happened yet which is a good thing for me. In fact, it may never happen, but that doesn't matter because as soon as I get it here, I will have the bike I've been thinking about for 2 years.
Actually, I wanted a Triumph at least 55 years ago. Back then - Right about the time of the the amazing Japanese bikes - there were pretty much 2 choices: Harley and Triumph. For me, the decision was an easy one. I wanted the bike known more for performance than tradition. I did buy a Honda CB350, the styling and performance of which was modeled after the Triumphs.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Congrats. They are nice bikes.

I had the prev gen 865 in 2003 and my brother has a 2016 1200 T-120. He loves it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ddemair
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Congrats. Really nice. Loved my 03 T100. Wish they would come with spoked tubeless tires. What windshield is it? I had a parabellum one.
The bike is completely stock and I'll probably keep it that way. The windscreen is Triumph Bonneville Touring Windscreen. I may remove it since I plan on this being a local ride and keeping the ST1300 for touring.

Bike
'07 ST1300
From a Motorcyclist review:
"79 hp at 6,500 rpm and 75 pound-feet at 3,500 rpm"
"At 75 mph, the analog rev counter hovers around 3,000 rpm"
:drool1:

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
A few years ago, the Bonneville bug bit me, and so I bought a Thruxton, red frame with metallic white tank. Nice nostalgia, but hectic handling. Couldn't keep up with buds on better bikes. Sold it.

OP
OP
ddemair
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
A few years ago, the Bonneville bug bit me, and so I bought a Thruxton, red frame with metallic white tank. Nice nostalgia, but hectic handling. Couldn't keep up with buds on better bikes. Sold it.
I'm a pretty conservative rider these days so I think the Bonnie will be fine for me.
What did you get to replace it? Do you keep up now?

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I have always liked the Bonneville.

When I was a kid in the early / mid 60's the first bikes I was aware of were 2 cylinder Triumphs and BSAs. Our house was 2 down from the main road and the locals guys (my dad referred to them as thugs.....) would be roaring around late at night on bikes with straight pipes. They were very loud.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I have always liked the Bonneville.

When I was a kid in the early / mid 60's the first bikes I was aware of were 2 cylinder Triumphs and BSAs. Our house was 2 down from the main road and the locals guys (my dad referred to them as thugs.....) would be roaring around late at night on bikes with straight pipes. They were very loud.
That's true today with how close we live to the hwy. We can hear bikes at night ripping away. Bunch a thugs.
I'd like to add a bike like that to my garage. Keep it for the same thing ddemair. Maybe even attend one of those DGRs. Triumph seems to have some attractive bikes too.
Very nice bike. Congratulations.
Dave

Attachments

I had a BSA when I was in High School, the memories are awesome if I don't think about how hard it was to start and how young I was to own it. The sounds was the most part of the recollection.
That bike you are leaning on is those memories without the old bike problems. It is the look that attracts me to the Triumph brand. It is beautiful and I hope you wear it out, nothing looks better on a British bike than milage.

Congratulations

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
Do you keep up now?
It's been a few years, and I've had numerous bikes come and go. But for the last five years or so, my "keep up" bike has been the 2016 VFR1200X with DCT. Stinkin' fast, loves to be ridden in anger!
The recent Bonneville certainly sports a powerful nostalgia, and owning one isn't about performance. The reliability that's part of the newer models is not to be ignored. If I remember correctly, I briefly had an early sixties Bonnie in about 1969. Bought it from an acquaintance, thought it was awesome - for the first day. The second day, it would only fire on one cylinder. Called the guy, he said he had no idea why, and gave me my cash back. On August 14th, 1970, I bought a 1968 Triumph Tiger 500 for $565. from a Gary Smith. Serial # T100SH64698. Obviously, I still have the handwritten bill of sale! Other than that scrap of paper, nothing left but memories. I'd have one again, if I could find one...maybe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ddemair
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
It's been a few years, and I've had numerous bikes come and go. But for the last five years or so, my "keep up" bike has been the 2016 VFR1200X with DCT. Stinkin' fast, loves to be ridden in anger!
The recent Bonneville certainly sports a powerful nostalgia, and owning one isn't about performance. The reliability that's part of the newer models is not to be ignored. If I remember correctly, I briefly had an early sixties Bonnie in about 1969. Bought it from an acquaintance, thought it was awesome - for the first day. The second day, it would only fire on one cylinder. Called the guy, he said he had no idea why, and gave me my cash back. On August 14th, 1970, I bought a 1968 Triumph Tiger 500 for $565. from a Gary Smith. Serial # T100SH64698. Obviously, I still have the handwritten bill of sale! Other than that scrap of paper, nothing left but memories. I'd have one again, if I could find one...maybe.
Of course, the current Bonneville isn't really authentic. In fact, it's not even the same company.
BUT, It's been a while since I've been interested in wrenching. I'm more interested in "plug and play" these days.
The bike I bought ticks all of the nostalgia boxes for me. So much so, that I didn't even take it for a test ride. In the unlikely event that I only ride it for one season and realize that I was seeking something that can never be found again (sort of like "you can never go home again") I'll sell it at a loss be happy that I ticked it off my bucket list. Life's too short for regrets.

OP
OP
ddemair
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
So I just rode my Bonneville home. These 2 bikes are very different. Sure, it's over 500 pounds, but compared to the ST, it's light and flickable with amazing low end grunt. I had it on the highway and never hit 6th gear. at 4,000 RPM it feels like it wants to shift up where the ST is just hitting its stride.

Anyway, I'm really fortunate to be able to have 2 bikes to enjoy.

2 bikes.jpg

Top Bottom