New to me R1200 RT

Bike
2005 BMW RT
Your RT looks super clean. You will appreciate the optional high mirrors. I have them also.

OP
OP
large-stache
Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
Your RT looks super clean. You will appreciate the optional high mirrors. I have them also.
I was wondering if I would like them or not, time will tell. The stock RT mirrors seem to mimic the ST mirrors in location and I've gotten use to them. I may take the high mirrors off to try it out. This bike has an adjustable shift lever, which should be nice for my size 12s. And the barbacks I may remove, my arms are long enough to reach bars in stock location[emoji39]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Very nice I had an 08 model before my ST and I enjoyed my one , great bike and that one is clean one congrats on your new purchase

Bike
2005 BMW RT
I was wondering if I would like them or not, time will tell. The stock RT mirrors seem to mimic the ST mirrors in location and I've gotten use to them. I may take the high mirrors off to try it out. This bike has an adjustable shift lever, which should be nice for my size 12s. And the barbacks I may remove, my arms are long enough to reach bars in stock location[emoji39]

The high mirrors become a necessity if you strap any gear on.

OP
OP
large-stache
Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
Today I took her out to the gas station and a quick ride across town. Ergos don't feel much different than the ST1100. The first thing I noticed was the weight difference rolling it out to start it up, it manuevers easy. The second thing was the dry clutch, it kind if "chatters" when you take off, more throttle helps( maybe it's engine lugging not the clutch). The ESA is nice. I tested the different modes on the expansion joints and uneven pavement on the highway through town. As much as I like the whoosh of the ST V4, this twin has torque, it's quick but has a different feel. The gearbox is a little notchy on down shifts, not horrible. The brakes are very good. I didn't test the ABS[emoji39]. I think I made a great decision to purchase this bike. Now if anybody needs a nice, older, great running 1100, I have one for sale.

OP
OP
large-stache
Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
What year did the final drives start to get better?
From what I've researched, the problem was no drain plug on early Hexheads, the fluid didn't get changed as it should. The big problem with the later ones was the throttle body cams are plastic, and break leaving the bike unridable. Billet Aluminums replacements are being made. I also have the failed fuel strip. The blinking light and empty fuel gauge kind of suck, but I know how a trip odometer works, its all I ever used on my bikes before the ST.

Bike
2009 ST1300
SPOT
LINK
Well I went and did it. I purchased a 2009 R1200RT. I love my ST1100, but was looking to buy something newer. I will still be a part of this forum, good friendly people here.

Congrats on your beauty! I had an ‘09 RT as well. Great bike. Cruise control... ahhh.

I have a Corbin Dual seat for that bike, if your’re interested, at a very good price.

OP
OP
large-stache
Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
I have a Corbin Dual seat for that bike, if your’re interested, at a very good price.
Thanks for the offer. On a recent 1300+ mile 4 days trip I found the stock seat is a torture device. I ended up buying a Sargent seat used off a BMW forum. It feels a lot more comfortable, but I haven't taken a long ride on it yet.

Top Bottom