New trend in Diesel oils

Bike
2009 ST1300
my favorite article about oil was I think in Cycle World October '83 entitled All About Oil, great article, looking back I don't think it was as good an article as it led one to imagine, but it did explain the basics. More recently, we learn how little oil viscosity variation [for lack of a better] changes basically anything. 20W50 meant an engine was on it's last legs but, turns out everything old is new again

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
OK. I suppose I should ask.
I've been using this for a number of years. No problems, great shifting. SN rating, no JASO MA
Have I done good Larry/others?
or should I be scared.

DSCF0005.JPG

Bike
VStrom 650
I've been using this for a number of years. No problems, great shifting. SN rating, no JASO MA
or should I be scared.

DSCF0005.JPG
Dean, when did you fit a "modern turbocharged diesel engine" in your Pan.
You kept that quiet.
Upt.

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
or should I be scared.

DSCF0005.JPG
That has the same additive package that the early chevron delo 400, delvac 1300, and the old rotella used.
Nothing wrong using it, other than the 5w40 breaks down much faster, and does not hold up or stay in grade as well as the Dino 15w40 version.
As verified by UOA samples.

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I have not, to answer the question. I’d be willing to be corrected in the case of a solid example (not hearsay) though.

Not sure why a team would not use their sponsor’s oil and pay for something else, when the sponsor is likely providing the oil free. On the other hand, why would a sponsor put their name on a bike using someone else’s oil in case of a failure?

I’ve read that one and many other articles and have not been convinced that diesel oil is a better alternative to motorcycle oil, in fact the more I read (always considering the sources and background of the writer), the more convinced I become that motorcycle specific oil is the best choice for a motorcycle.
You want undeniable proof?
send a sample of your motorcycle specific 10w40 oil to the lab, and then a sample of the diesel oil and read the facts.
No marketing, no sales pitch, no personal opinions etc.
Drop mic :rofl1:

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Shell was the first company that we started seeing issues with clutches slipping.....

Ah!

That's what the old fellow who works on my ST was using for it and I was just wondering why all of sudden he wasn't anymore!

Thanks for the update.

Top Bottom