New Updated R1200RT

OP
OP
Chris Parker
STOC #
RELAX RELAX - - - - it still shakes like a paint mixer - - - - RELAX RELAX
Uggggh... here we go again Tor : )

If the RT is a Paint Mixer then a Sportster is a jack hammer... it's all relative, you know?

Still loving the RT and very happy with it, btw.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
I knew I was gonna get you in here doing that.......:D . . . I didn't see you at the BR gathering, Chris. Thought I saw you on the MSRP list. Was looking forward to meeting you and getting some serious Roundel-bashin' going. Oh well, have to wait until next year.

On a serious note, we need two DS bikes, and will probably get a 1200 GS. (yeah I know I know) What will she get? Don't know. Maybe a 650GS...we'll see...

additions,,,,not replacements.....

and the dealer just called me telling me the ST is ready,,,,,after a warranty replacement of........the final drive ring and pinion,,,,,who would have thunk'd....

On a serious note, we need two DS bikes, and will probably get a 1200 GS. (yeah I know I know) What will she get? Don't know. Maybe a 650GS...we'll see...

additions,,,,not replacements.....

and the dealer just called me telling me the ST is ready,,,,,after a warranty replacement of........the final drive ring and pinion,,,,,who would have thunk'd....
Hhmm, first I think I would look past the 650GS, if she doesn't want the 1200, maybe the 800 GS. Then you (she) has a flat, she has has to be prepared to be able to remove the wheel, remove the tire, pull the tube out to either patch or replace, then remount the tire and wheel. I like having a DS bike with tubeless tires....always had me worried driving to work, knowing I couldn't throw a worm in the tire and get to work without all the trouble.

OP
OP
Chris Parker
STOC #
I knew I was gonna get you in here doing that.......:D . . . I didn't see you at the BR gathering, Chris. Thought I saw you on the MSRP list. Was looking forward to meeting you and getting some serious Roundel-bashin' going. Oh well, have to wait until next year.
Yeah, I was heading up as well until I forgot that my wife and I were scheduled for our postponed anniversary weekend to Mt. Airy (which we were supposed to take in September)... needless to say I don't think Cristi would be around to celebrate another year of marriage if I was up with you guys instead... next year is going to be the best, once things settle down in the Spring after our baby arrives.

Looking forward to meeting you as well.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hhmm, first I think I would look past the 650GS, if she doesn't want the 1200, maybe the 800 GS. Then you (she) has a flat, she has has to be prepared to be able to remove the wheel, remove the tire, pull the tube out to either patch or replace, then remount the tire and wheel. I like having a DS bike with tubeless tires....always had me worried driving to work, knowing I couldn't throw a worm in the tire and get to work without all the trouble.
BMW spokes their rims to the outside of the rim so they can run tubeless tires. They haven't had tubes since probably 1985 on any bike and since 1981 on DS bikes.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Uggggh... here we go again Tor : )

If the RT is a Paint Mixer then a Sportster is a jack hammer... it's all relative, you know?

Still loving the RT and very happy with it, btw.
It is funny to read period reviews of BMW's from the /2, /5, /6, /7 eras and see how smooth the flat twins were to riders 30, 40, 50+ years ago. I have one of these and it is fairly smooth, particularly in the useful rev range and what vibes come through aren't at all unpleasant. They are low frequency and part of character of the iconic BMW flat twin. The mirrors are clear and grips are comfortable when cruising at legal speeds. However, when I ride newer oilheads and hexheads I think, "this engine isn't any smoother than my old airhead, don't they [BMW engineers] know this is a new century? My guess is that they do but having a few vibes is part of the package that buyers want and expect.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
She can't reach the ground on an 800, or a 1200. Has to be well <29" for her to be able to ride it. The 650GS I "think" you can get a low frame for, in addition to low seat.

She can't reach the ground on an 800, or a 1200. Has to be well <29" for her to be able to ride it. The 650GS I "think" you can get a low frame for, in addition to low seat.
longer heels :) Seems like you can get a lower 1200 (probably not on the 1200GSA), and of course, the lower seat. If you go for the 650, make sure she gets a test ride at 70 mph to test that thumper feeling.

If I recall correctly there is an F650 low that also has a low seat available. Same basic twin that the 800 uses, So the low down is a low/low ought to be pretty low. I rode a standard F650 and was impressed. Demo ride where I got separated from the group by traffic and umm had to catch up. Cruised at 85~90 or a couple of miles. Surprisingly effective wind protection and did not seem strained at that speed, just a little busy. Good power, smooth enough, felt light, good ergos, terrible seat. Fix the seat and it would make a great bike if not having ST1300 like weather protection is ok. A bit small for me. I imagine it'd really be a nice ride for someone under 6' and 50++ lbs lighter than me.

I did not ride the G650 single or really look at it but I suppose they have a low/low option too.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
longer heels :) Seems like you can get a lower 1200 (probably not on the 1200GSA), and of course, the lower seat. If you go for the 650, make sure she gets a test ride at 70 mph to test that thumper feeling.
The "new" 650 is actually an 800, a somewhat detuned version of the twin that goes in the F800S, F800ST and F800GS. Why they call it a 650 is beyond me, but so it goes.

Top Bottom