New VFR1200F "not a replacement for any bike"

Bike
ST1300 Pan Euro
Only 10 hours to go (11am GMT) till the new official VFR1200F pictures are released. Apologies if this has been seen before, but this is a section of a Honda (UK) press release regarding the new VFR1200F. I though the quote from the General Manager of Honda UK saying that this new bike was no a replacement for any bike quite interesting.

Whilst there have been a number of unofficial images, technical specifications and speculation surrounding this machine, at 11.00am (UK time) on Thursday 8 October, Honda will be pleased to release all official photography, films, animations, 360 degree views of each of the three colour options, downloads and technical specifications online, in the VFR1200F?s dedicated area within www.feelv4.com.

During the last few months a series of short videos have been released on www.feelv4.com, building the story behind the concept, design and engineering of the VFR1200F, to include insightful background and some rare interviews with senior Honda personnel including:

Teofilo Plaza ? Design Project Leader
Tetsuo Suzuki ? Managing Officer, R&D Honda Co. Ltd
Tsutomu Ishii ? Senior Manager (Engine), Honda Co. Ltd
Yosuke Hasegawa ? Chief Engineer and Large Project Leader (LPL) for the new V4, Honda Co. Ltd
Dave Hancock ? Senior ?Genteki? (Japanese word for motorcycle development test rider)

Commenting on the introduction of the VFR1200F into to UK market, General Manager of Honda (UK) Motorcycles, Steve Martindale, said, ?There?s been so much speculation and anticipation surrounding Honda?s new V4 powered machine and we?re very pleased that the wait is nearly over for this truly superb new bike, which will be revealed next week, and then be available early next year. Although there has been much talk of this bike being a replacement for some Honda models, we don?t see the VRF1200F as a replacement for any bike and it doesn?t do this incredible new machine justice to view it in that way. It?s a totally new breed of machine in terms of performance, engineering and style, we?re confident motorcyclists who enjoy bikes with incredible looks, a sportier ride, larger-capacity and great touring capability will not be disappointed.?

There is also the chance to win a place on the official exclusive media test ride event in November 2009 in Southern Spain, where a lucky winner will be one of the first people in the world to ride the new VFR1200F. To enter this once in a lifetime competition, go to www.feelv4.com and enter your details on the online form up to 16 October 2009. Terms and conditions apply.

For further information about Honda?s all-new VFR1200F and to be amongst the first in the world to see the reveal of a new era in motorcycling, visit www.feelv4.com at 11.00am on Thursday 8 October 2009.

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
Personally view that as media hype. Of course it's a replacement for a (more then 1?) previous models, especially if you keep the VFR moniker.

It is a complete redesign, and another rumor I've heard is the 1200 series will have 2 versions, 1 will fill the blackbird niche and the other the ST niche. There will also (supposedly) be a 1000cc version filling the vfr niche.

So I guess you could simply avoid the word "replacement" completely and just ask which need is a new particular model suppose to fill and which prior model filled that same spot?

Maybe Honda is dropping one niche and taking on another, but the categories are pretty much filled up and generalized already aren't they?

regards,

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
'not a replacement for any bike, yet' might wind up more accurate. Honda will probably get a couple more years out of the ST. They have already proven they don't even need to change the color.

Ray

OP
OP
ST Sweeney
Bike
ST1300 Pan Euro
Sure, I just thought that it didn't sound like a new ST was being born.
I guess in the current climate, it makes good economic sense to manufacture a bike that can be mass produced and then tweaked into different guises to suit each niche market. I suppose we'll all find out very shortly.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Professionally speaking, yes, that's media hype. Pretty good media hype, but still media hype.

Bike
ST1300
they already stated the VFR won't replace the ST and the new VFR based ST won't come out until this new bike is a sales success. This VFR just replaces the old VFR. Simple as that.

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
Hmmm, a UK release huh. Does that sound to anyone else like this may be another European release that we don't get in the good ol US of A?

JDP

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Hmmm, a UK release huh. Does that sound to anyone else like this may be another European release that we don't get in the good ol US of A?
The STs (both of 'em) appeared in Europe before they appeared here. Europe has a much bigger market for these bikes than we do, and it makes a lot of sense to get them out, get the kinks worked out and then start making North American-spec models.

Most of the rest of the world will accept Euro-spec models; we have to be different.

--Mark

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The STs (both of 'em) appeared in Europe before they appeared here. Europe has a much bigger market for these bikes than we do, and it makes a lot of sense to get them out, get the kinks worked out and then start making North American-spec models.

Most of the rest of the world will accept Euro-spec models; we have to be different.

--Mark
That's cuz the handlebars need to be on the right side. :rofl1:

Bike
06 ST1300A
It is a complete redesign, and another rumor I've heard is the 1200 series will have 2 versions, 1 will fill the blackbird niche and the other the ST niche.
That engine is also expected to fit a new shaft drive Varadero model to take on the BMW GS series...

Bike
06 ST1300A
Definitely more sports than tourer. Can't see the wife taking to the skinny pillion seat and it's not a big tank even though they claim 45mpg (someone check my maths!); I was hoping with all the new tech hype that Honda might have been hitting the 60mpg mark with this.

It's not for me, guess I'll have to wait to see what comes next...

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Well, what I've seen so far looks like a nice re-interpretation of the VFR 800. Comparing it to the ST isn't really fair.

I know it's all marketing, but it does look like they've tried to solve a few problems.

--Mark

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I agree. I'd love to have one to play with..

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Man that is one butt ugly exhaust! I am thinking I will be on the ST for some time yet. But it is a nice looking bike.

JZH

International Bodger
Not "a replacement for any bike". No, of course not; that sounds much too negative. The new VFR1200 an entirely new concept, totally incomparable to anything ever before seen on two wheels. The VTEC, the ST and the BB will simply be dropped. (Not "replaced"!) They just won't exist anymore. Happy now? ;)

Ciao,

Bike
ST1300
Why are people thinking the VFR is a replacement to the ST? Honda had the VFR and the ST produced at the same time for years. Just recently they got rid of the VFR. They aren't the same market segment.

I don't see where this new bike fills any niche. All the techno gizmos would be better suited towards a long distance tourer not a sports bike. Even though the VFR was never a true sports bike. It was more sport touring leaning towards more sport. It had more in common with a Triumph Sprint than the ST or CBR.

I don't get it. The bike looks heavy and ungainly. Seeing we'll never be able to test ride it:rolleyes:, I guess I'll have to wait until the magazines review it...

Top Bottom