New XM Radio install

STOC #
I bought my beloved ST11 in may and today I won an Xm Roadie2. I want to install it on the bike, bit I have no idea where to start.

Any experienced info on wiring, placement, speakers (helmet or bike mounted) and gotchas will be greatly appreciated.

I have a long ride (long for me as I'm a touring rookie) coming up on thanksgiving and I'd like it available by then.

TIA...Russ

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
XM Roady install on ST1100

Russ

I installed a Roady 2 on my ST100 a couple years ago and this year on my ST1300. You have a couple options, depending on how you want to use the unit:
1. Install a power socket in the fairing and use the 12v adapter. This will be the simple appraoch, but you will have to deal with exposed wires. I tried this and decided on option 2.
2. I have removed the circuit board from the adapter and modified it to be wired into the accessory harness and hidden beneath the fairing and covers. You can also get a 6 volt adapter from Radio Shack if you don't want to mess up the original.
As for mounting the unit, on the ST1100 I used velcro to attach it to the center of the handlebar cover. On the ST1300 I made a bracket that attaches to the right brake reservoir and I velcro the unit to that. I velcro the antenna to the left side resevoir.
- With my units I use a pair of custom ear plugs that plug into the audio port. There is plenty of power in the Roady unit to power earplugs. There are a few makers of standard earplugs that work very well - such as Sony and Koss. I went with the custom plugs because I wear them 12 hours per day when I ride.
I use a volume control from Radio Shack that plugs between the unit and earplugs - this I velcro to my tank bag for easy access (I love velcro). It is very small and effective and allows you to easily adjust the volume or mute it, depending on how and where your riding.

Ride Safe !!

Dave
:biker:

Hi Russ...
Put the velcro on your dash top surface to mount your antenna. Get a fused cigarette lighter jack and install the positive on your battery and the ground on a nearby ground nut and bold on your frame. Run the cigarette lighter jack to the pucket under your upper gas tank. Connect the power jack for the Roady into the cigaretter lighter and tuck them in that pocket under the tank. Run your Roady wire to the front under the tank. Get some flat speakers for your helmet (about $30;try whitehorsepress.com). Put your Roady in one of your glove compartments and connect the power, speaker wire and antenna wire. Adjust the volume setting to the loudest level. And go ride and enjoy XM. With this setup youc an switch it from one bike to another pretty quickly, or to the car, or inside your home. Good luck.
1downfourup

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I am planning the same installation...Roady2 on my Blue ST1300.

What I don't want to do is open circuit boards, or fabricate wiring/circuits/fuse boxes. To that end, I'm looking at going the route of adding a quartet harness, then using a Xsoree Key from
2wheelinnovations. They have one that plugs into the 3-pin switched outlet on the harness. I plan to mount the XM unit on a cyclegadgets clutch cover 'perch', so it will be both removable as well as hard-wired into my system.

Only thing that may not work for you is that you want it in 10 days, and would need to order everything. Interested in hearing how you work it out.

Last edited:

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I wouldn't put the Roady in the fairing pockets... heat and electronics don't mix very well. :eek:

Get a mount of some sort (Ram... or other brand) and keep from destroying your free toy... ;)

Bike
2019 BMW K1600GT
This is a picture of my Sirius install. For me it's easy to see and use in this location. It's tied into my Auto Com so that solved the speaker issue. As for power I used the blank connector that is used for the accessory cigerette lighter located under the left fairing and all the wiring is tied to the fairing stay and routed thru the fairing to the dash and out to the unit thru the small vent on the left side.

Installed the Roady2 on the bike. Can't believe I went this long without it. I am using Earbuds and the sound is awesome. It's so nice having the music and talk radio!

Steve

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
steve18 said:
Installed the Roady2 on the bike. Can't believe I went this long without it. I am using Earbuds and the sound is awesome. It's so nice having the music and talk radio!

Steve
Steve, I'm getting a Roady XT for Christmas (I peeked) and would be interested in seeing your set, being as how we're so close.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
HOG SLYR said:
This is a picture of my Sirius install. For me it's easy to see and use in this location. It's tied into my Auto Com so that solved the speaker issue. As for power I used the blank connector that is used for the accessory cigerette lighter located under the left fairing and all the wiring is tied to the fairing stay and routed thru the fairing to the dash and out to the unit thru the small vent on the left side.

I want to know what the back side of that looks like. How did you mounted it to the dash?

Curt

Hog Slyr,

I would also like to know more details on your set up. I've got autocom hooked up to the bike and have considered getting the Sirius system as well. How long did it take you to hook everything up?

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Just wanting to double-check what I think I'm doing here....have the Roady2 wired to an Xsoree Key 2X/Delphi cord with a 'Honda' 3-plug connector on the end. This goes into the red connector on my quartet harness, correct?

Bike
2005 ST1300
GodFather said:
Hog Slyr,

I would also like to know more details on your set up. I've got autocom hooked up to the bike and have considered getting the Sirius system as well. How long did it take you to hook everything up?

I have my Roady2 hard wired to the bike..
I used the 12v to 6v power converter from Cycle gadgets.
Located down the page here:
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/packages.asp?pkg=GL18-XMRD
For mounting the radio, I used the Roady2/antenna bracket from MCL combined with a ram ball mount clutch reservoir. (So its sits on my clutch and does not black any gauges or mirrors. The only thing it obscures it the fuel gauge reset buttons)
http://www.MCL OUT OF BUSINESS - DO NOT ORDER/mcl_mt.aspx

http://www.MCL OUT OF BUSINESS - DO NOT ORDER/st1300rc.aspx
Then I have the audio out going to my Autocom unit with speakers in my helmet.

It is a really great set up.
When I park my bike, I unplug the audio out, power out. Unscrew the ball mount and lock it in my top box.

I'll get some pictures up when I get home if anyone is interested.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I am mounting it using the bracket that attaches to the top of the clutch reservoir. Just curious as to whether I'm on the right track plugging into the red 3-pin connector, or should I use one of the other connections?

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
racer1735 said:
I am mounting it using the bracket that attaches to the top of the clutch reservoir. Just curious as to whether I'm on the right track plugging into the red 3-pin connector, or should I use one of the other connections?
I'm not sure on this but do you have a link to the cable you bought? I'll look at twowheel to see if I can figure this out. Because of the way the red and black plugs are setup you may be able to plug it in either one.

I'll check and post back.

Curt

Bike
2005 ST1300
GodFather said:
Kempo=STer

Yes, I'm interested in those pictures.
Thanks!

OK GF...

I'll should be able to get these up this afternoon.

Also I should note,
I run all my power to something I bought from Electricalconnection.com called a powerplate.
Its kind of acts like a subpanel in a house. All your electrical stuff hooks into it. Just add a fuse, connect the hot wire to the powerblock, connect the ground wire and you are good to go. Very inexpensive and handy. (45.00)
http://www.electricalconnection.com/power-distribution/pplate.htm

Last edited:
What happened to this post?? I was reading through it and was hoping that there was some kind of conclusion, with photos and such. Mmmmmm....

I'm sitting here wanting to take apart my fairings and go to work. I have the new MotoCom ST1 system and the Roady XT and iPod.

I will put the XM into the bracket from Cycle Gadgets (reservoir mount) and the iPod will be velcro'd to my tank bag.

So.....here's the question: I have the Hondaline cig lighter that was to be mounted on my 2004 Goldwing, but never did. Will this fit (plug and play) into the '03 ST?? If so, where is the connection to plug it in? Behind the fairing?

And those of you that have this stuff already done, it would be a huge service to us all that are trying to put ours together if we could learn from your work...a few detailed pics would be huge!!

Thanks!

:bow1:

Top Bottom