New year new issue; Cluster.

Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
Hey all something happened this evening when I was leaving the house. I started up the bike and all was fine! I then turned it off to gather some things from the house, put the key back in and it fired up and my instrument lit up then shut off. So I have no blinkers, break lights, tach or speedo but everything else worked.

i also realized my primary key is bent, would that be the issue? I'm not home so I can't test my back up key to see if it's some snazzy anti theft crud due to the key

OP
OP
czarwolf
Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
Wild guess ... bad ground ... others will be along soon.

EDIT: or maybe a fuse ... have you checked them?
I have not I was leaving the house in a hurry, otherwise I would of tried my spare key. Would a fuse or ground happen so suddenly?

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have not I was leaving the house in a hurry, otherwise I would of tried my spare key. Would a fuse or ground happen so suddenly?
Yes, when a fuse blows, it is like a light switch. On one moment, off the next. If a ground opens up the effect will be the same. In practice, grounds usually go bad over time, corrosion, overheating, both of which will increase the resistance to electric current flow gradually. There will come a time when things don't work, or work intermittently or crazy things happen. A broken key (or bent) should not affect your dash.

I'm not sure if all of the items that died are on one fuse. Best to check a wiring diagram.

Top Bottom