Newbie Audio Question

My first post besides an introduction... I don't have an ST yet but I'm researching and asking a few questions first...

I"ve noticed that you can buy the speaker enclosures from England(someone had posted the part #s) and mount your own 4" speakers. If I went to Cruchfield (or equilivent) and bought some speakers and an normal am/fm cd auto radio (with remote), would there be any problems installing the radio in one of the dash storage boxes???
More specifically, could you get enough volume with the radio and would the radio hold up to the heat and weather??? Also, would it be preferable to use a wired or wireless remote???
I've noticed that most people use helmet speakers, etc but I would rather have the outside speakers myself. I had a cruiser a few years back with a tank bag with speakers inside and it was really convient and easy to use...

Thanks for the help and patience, I'm sure these questions have been asked before.

Kevin,

Welcome to the forum. I expect you will get a few answers from people who've done exactly what you're asking.

Regards,

Since I can't make a liar out of Dave...

kevinfromwebb said:
I've noticed that you can buy the speaker enclosures from England(someone had posted the part #s) and mount your own 4" speakers.

David Silver Spares sells the Honda speaker kit for around US$200 which includes two speakers and plastic enclosures. I don't believe the boxes are sold separately, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. (Maybe they're available in the European parts catalog?)

...any problems installing the radio in one of the dash storage boxes???

Shouldn't be. Most auto and marine radios can take the heat, and weather's not a problem in the fairing pockets.

Also, would it be preferable to use a wired or wireless remote???

Wireless is almost always infrared, which would severely limit your installation options.

I looked briefly at a marine stereo from Pyle that could be tucked in the left fairing pocket and has a nice wired remote with display that could be run up to the bars. (Search for "Pyle" and you'll find a thread or two that discusses them.)

After looking around, I decided against using a car-type stereo because the CD player would be incovenient (one disc at a time) and probably wouldn't function well on a bike, leaving me with a bulky, power-hungry FM-only radio. At that rate I could buy a Sony SFR-M37V ($30, gets AM/FM/WX/TV and runs something approaching forever on a single AAA battery) and a small amplifier or a set of ear buds. I've ended up with a setup that includes satellite radio, MP3 and GPS feeding an Autocom system into the helmet that I'm very happy with.

I've noticed that most people use helmet speakers, etc but I would rather have the outside speakers myself.

I'm not a big fan of external speakers because they have a lot more to overcome to get decent sound to the rider. (And half the people I see with them don't turn 'em down at intersections, which means I have to listen to what they do.)

--Mark

Thanks for all the help. I"m keeping all my options open, just thinking out loud...I found the post with the speaker enclosure part numbers but didn't know where to look them up...If and when I do get one I'll just ride it stock for a bit, then decide...
Thanks again, Kevin

Back
Top Bottom