Newbie considering a Go Pro but want some way to take quick still pictures

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
I have a decent digital camera but I find it a pain to pull over off the road, take it out of the side fairing pocket and take the picture. I'm new to the Go Pro idea but I may consider one if it does what I want. If there was some way to mount it somewhere and push a button to take a picture maybe that would be best. Is there a way to mount to your helmet and reach a button easily?

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Probably the best way to go if it's helmet mounted is to get the available remote control for the camera and then mount it in a convenient area on the bike so you can take pics on the fly. With a GoPro, it comes with a variety of mounts including a suction mount and several adhesive mounts, so you can pretty much set it up as you like. I think the use of the remote (which I currently don't have) would give you the best utility.

If the cam was helmet mounted, you could probably take a pic but would have to feel around for the shutter button and this might be a bit more difficult using gloves, plus, you want to make sure the pic was actually taken. That's why I feel the remote is the best option.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300A
GoPro can do that, but due to the fisheye lens shape, and lack of zoom, you'll be disappointed with the results. Adding the remote just adds complexity .....

I'd suggest a digital camera mount on the handlebars or faring ....

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Putt kept his camera on a lanyard around his neck and took pictures while moving.

Bike
'08 ST1300ABS
STOC #
The small camera on lanyard around neck is a good idea if you take a lot of pictures. The GoPro can take still pics, and the Gen 3 Black series (I think that's what I have) has 3 "zoom" levels you can choose between, but you have to go into the menu to get at that setting. Also, if you helmet mount it, you have to try and get it registered so it is facing where your helmet is facing, and then hope you get the shot. If you will be stopping to take still shots, the camera on a neck strap, lanyard (if small enough), or possibly in a chest carrier pocket would be a better bet I think. Obviously something with a live preview screen is mandatory if you are wearing a full-face helmet and you want to take quick snapshots. I saw some video shot with a GoPro mounted on the "curved" base stuck on top of the left mirror housing. I have to get to the store and get another one (the first one is on an old 3/4 helmet I was using to shoot some parking lot training videos). I also have the Sena Bluetooth audio recorder back so I can comment on the video as it is being shot. Still waiting on availability of the waterproof housing for that set up - haven't tried it yet....hopeful it will work out well (for video, that is).

Hope that may be helpful.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I use the remote control on my GoPro. Not only can you trigger the shutter, you can also change modes, such as video, still, interval stills. Here's a pic taken through the windshield of my Wing as we were leaving FerrySTOC.

John

image.jpg

finleysw

R.I.P. - 2024/03/29
Rest In Peace
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
STOC #
Hey Paul: I have a Go Pro Gen 2 ( no remote) that you are welcome to borrow. See if it would meet your needs before shelling out the money.. You will get some absolutely beautiful still shots and - some not so good, due to the already mentioned - fisheye lens shape, and lack of zoom.. Let me know if you want to try it out.. Stuart

OP
OP
ak85lp

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
Sorry Stuart i just read this now as i don't seem to be getting subscription updates anymore to my threads? I did go and buy a Go Pro knockoff that Jeff G recommended and it did work very good.

Top Bottom