Newbie ST1100 carb question

OP
OP
Techman
Bike
2000 ST1100
I didn’t think I could get to the adjustment screws with it on. The portion of manual I had didn’t specify and I saw it done that way on a YouTube video.
I ordered some replacement fuel hoses, so I will check that out when I get in there again.
Thanks

Bike
ST1100/ST1300
STOC #
It looks like you're making wonderful progress! Remember with your emission bike, and going up to the #40's, you can successfully go up to 2 turns out with the idle mixture screws and fine tune to your area.

On this particular ST forum, it always seems to be a controversial topic about synchronizing the carbs with, or without having all the air filter components installed. It just doesn't need to be... We are measuring VACUUM in the intake manifold, under the throttle plate and venturi. NOT the AIR FLOW above the carbs, or the mixture. Years ago, because of this controversy, I took the time to balance AND do the idle drop on a set of carbs both ways. My results were exactly what I figured. It makes no difference if the stuff is on, or if the stuff is off....The readings were the same. However, it is dammmm near impossible to reset and tune the idle mixture screws with all that crap installed. Especially an emission/ABS bike. So with that being said, nobody here is wrong on which way to balance the carbs. But they're not correct either....:)

Personally, I leave everything off for ease of access to the synchronization screws and the mixture screws.

Also... You are setting/balancing the throttle plates for the smoothest and strongest IDLE speed. Thats it... The vacuum readings per cylinder, will always change as rpm changes. This is normal. Over the years, some guys have set their carbs at say, 3500-4000 rpm in hopes to get the smoothest, most vibration free ride while touring. But the idle sounds like absolute garbage and is weak. It's best to set at idle.

OP
OP
Techman
Bike
2000 ST1100
Thanks for the word of wisdom, that’s what I thought. I would like to borrow or buy a Honda tool to adjust the pilots sometime. I actually bought one of those crazy colortune plugs and would like to try it and see if I can get the ‘fire’ set optimal. She’s running pretty good now but it will be interesting to see what kind of gas mileage I get.
As you turn those pilot screws out, are you going richer or leaner? I thought richer, but I noticed in the older manual I was given the link to that the Emissions bike was set to 2 5/8 and the normal bike at 2 1/4. I would think the emissions bike would be leaner.

Bike
ST1100/ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for the word of wisdom, that’s what I thought. I would like to borrow or buy a Honda tool to adjust the pilots sometime. I actually bought one of those crazy colortune plugs and would like to try it and see if I can get the ‘fire’ set optimal. She’s running pretty good now but it will be interesting to see what kind of gas mileage I get.
As you turn those pilot screws out, are you going richer or leaner? I thought richer, but I noticed in the older manual I was given the link to that the Emissions bike was set to 2 5/8 and the normal bike at 2 1/4. I would think the emissions bike would be leaner.
Your fuel mileage will drop by 1-2mpg with the bigger pilot jet and having it tuned proper. But, the gains in low/midrange grunt outweigh mpg, in my opinion.

Turning the mixture screws out, does indeed richen the mixture.

Remember that the emission bike has lazier camshafts with less lift and duration(theoretically requiring less fuel). It also has a smaller #125 main jet. The factory tries to make up the difference by opening up the pilot/slow speed circuit (which is still on the lean side) to meet the strict California emission standards.

It would have been interesting if you kept track of the mixture screw turn count when you took them out. Every single bank of carbs I take apart, they are all over the place. ABS/emission bikes being the worst. Not one carb is close to each other. One will be at a half turn out, another will be at 2 1/2 turns, 1 3/4, and then 2. Right from the factory...

OP
OP
Techman
Bike
2000 ST1100
I only checked one carb and it was 1 1/2 turns. That was not what I expected, but I am sure that’s what the PO set them to when he cleaned them.
I may put my V65 sabre specific tools up for sale on their forum...... perhaps I can make enough to buy the ST tool. I bought a cheap one, as some 2 stroke chain saws use the same HIPA type screw. Cant find a flexible one with small enough end to not interfere. I thought about trying this tool on one carb I can reach and see how many turns the colortune likes and set them all the same. Seems hard to do all with the carbs in place without the Honda tool.
Has anyone changed an emission bikes cams to normal ones? Is it even worth the effort?

Bike
ST1100/ST1300
STOC #
Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort. A 49 state bike VS an ABS/emission bike are very similar in performance. Again, get this bike running, tuned properly and enjoy it for what it is.

I don't know of anyone who has swapped camshafts and changed everything over to a non-emission bike. But, I'm sort of doing something similar. Not by choice....

I have 4 ST1100's. The last one I picked up had a previous engine swap. A '93 ABS emission bike, with a '98 standard 49 state engine. However, it still has the '93 emission carbs and butchered up emission plumbing. Restoration will start soon....

OP
OP
Techman
Bike
2000 ST1100
Well, Lord help ya to get that sorted out and running right.
Went for a bit of a ride today...not as hot out. Really nice to have the bike running smoootthhhly!

OP
OP
Techman
Bike
2000 ST1100
Got my V65 sabre tools sold and honda D carb tool on order.....
Replacement fuel hoses still haven't shipped.
Have put some miles on the bike commuting to work this week....running pretty good. Still a bit choppy on the 1st to 2nd gear shift. Ok 40% of the time. 60% of the time it grinds a bit; not a clean shift.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Got my V65 sabre tools sold and honda D carb tool on order.....
Still a bit choppy on the 1st to 2nd gear shift. Ok 40% of the time. 60% of the time it grinds a bit; not a clean shift.
Sounds like my 1990 ST too. It does not like to be hurried between 1 and 2.

OP
OP
Techman
Bike
2000 ST1100
No preload.....your description of "hurried" fits....I noticed this morning it shifts better at low rpm. I am wondering if maybe my clutch is not quite right. Does knock ever so lightly in neutral when it is out.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Regarding shifting, it would be a very good idea to clean and lube your shift linkage under the engine.
Shifts can be crunchy if there is Dirt/Grit involved.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
No preload.....your description of "hurried" fits....I noticed this morning it shifts better at low rpm. I am wondering if maybe my clutch is not quite right. Does knock ever so lightly in neutral when it is out.
Seriously, try preloading the lever before the shift. The consensus here for many years has been that doing this makes the shift less clunky.

OP
OP
Techman
Bike
2000 ST1100
Bush, you are absolutely right! I tried that coming home from work and did not miss a shift. I've never had to do that on any of the bikes I've ever owned, but I don't care if it solves the problem. I can learn to get into that habit. Thank you.
Yes, Slydynbye, I need to look that linkage over closer. Especially since this bike is newer and parts are available. (yay!) (don't have to scrounge)

OP
OP
Techman
Bike
2000 ST1100
I now have the infamous Honda "D" tool in my formerly nicotine stained hands......
Waiting for some replacement fuel line hoses to arrive (Monday) and I am going to give a go at adjusting the pilot mixture screws....
Might have to do it at night to see the colortune....that spark plug is real small.
At some point soon I am going to look at the valve clearances, so I can be cleared for a long trip.
Probably look at front fork oil, too.

Bike
92 ST1100
I now have the infamous Honda "D" tool in my formerly nicotine stained hands......
Waiting for some replacement fuel line hoses to arrive (Monday) and I am going to give a go at adjusting the pilot mixture screws....
Might have to do it at night to see the colortune....that spark plug is real small.
At some point soon I am going to look at the valve clearances, so I can be cleared for a long trip.
Probably look at front fork oil, too.
Unfortunately, a colortunes use WILL leave mixture screws on the rich side;). Your mixture tuning is better done using the 'lean drop' method. Also, CORRECTLY done means idle mixture setting is ALWAYS done with air intake filter system IN PLACE. Following THIS procedure will also return a 48-52mpg at a constant 80mph on a LD ride.....BTDT many a time:).

OP
OP
Techman
Bike
2000 ST1100
On page 5-12 it says to start at 2 5/8 turns, turn out 1/2 turn, (unless rpm increases more than 50rpm, add another 1/2 turn) then turn in until 50 rpm drop, then TURN OUT 7/8 turn.....
Is this still the Honda method for a 2000 ST1100?
Thanks

Top Bottom