Nice ride today that ended with a flat and destroyed tire

Make sure the 90 degree stems are not rubber based.
There's an easy fix for that.

15984929_0.jpg

There was a member here selling non-branded versions of this supposedly from the same factory in Italy. But Arietes readily available just a click away. I'd use these (83º) before using any of the 90º elbow types. GoldWings use 90º stems but they're anchored/supported so no worries.

Make sure the 90 degree stems are not rubber based. The metal ones are better and safer. After time the rubber base one's will fail with moving them back and fore each time you press the pressure hose on them. Mine broke eventually at the base where it joined the rim. Result, instant flat.
I concur, same thing happened to me.
There's an easy fix for that.

15984929_0.jpg

There was a member here selling non-branded versions of this supposedly from the same factory in Italy. But Arietes readily available just a click away. I'd use these (83º) before using any of the 90º elbow types. GoldWings use 90º stems but they're anchored/supported so no worries.
You might want to consider getting the Tee type of connector. That way you can leave the GPS transmitter on the vertical part of the Tee while adding air to the easier to reach horizontal connector.

You might want to consider getting the Tee type of connector.
Yeah I've mentioned the T-valve stem in several posts and have a pair since getting my FOBO Bike kit on the first group buy. Next tire change.

Thanks for the tips guys, whether I'm right or wrong this is the story I'm sticking to and I'll call my information correct. I probably had a slow leak in the tire for a while because I hadn't checked the pressure for a while. I went on a ride yesterday with an underinflated tire, I rode too long and too hard on an underinflated tire until it gave out. Then I rode probably another 3/4 to 1 mile on a flat tire to get to a safe place to pull over. So now I'll never know what kind of mileage I would have gotten out of my first PR2.

SOLUTION: I ordered a new PR2 from Two Brothers today, also ordered the 90-degree valve stems and a new set of rear brake pads. I figured it is better to change them before they fail or at least ruin a rotor. So now I have something to ask Santa for (tire pressure monitor) unless maybe I win one (hint hint hint). I also checked the pressure in the front tire, it only has 32 pounds in it. I'll be checking the pressure a lot more often even if I do end with a monitoring system.
We recently had a group buy of the Fobo Bike 2 tpms system. It works great and you use your smartphone to monitor.
If you plan on installing a tire monitor system, I would recommend the T valves rather than the 90* valve stems.

I worked a special assignment at work yesterday and knew I would be working late so I took today off. I had planned to leave home just after daylight and ride down route 800 to Fly Ohio and then down to Kentucky and back home. After looking at the route and realizing at was going to be about 580 miles I decided to cut it back with the cold temps and limited hours of daylight.

I was up around 0700 and saw we had a heavy frost. I hung around home hoping the sun would come out. I left home at 0900, still a heavy frost and 27*F and no sunshine. I rode two hours before the frost started to clear and the temps started to rise and sun came out. At 1130 I made my first stop. Frost was gone and the temp was up to around 37*F. I had a grilled chicken wrap and Hot Chocolate for lunch. I saw alot of great photo ops but was enjoying the ride too much to stop.

I made it to Fly, Ohio my original destination. I stopped for a photo and was going to take the ferry across the Ohio River and head north on State Route 2 in W. Virginia, the ferry was closed so I headed north on Route 7 then west on Route 148 and then north on Route 9. These are all state routes but are one lane each way with lots of curves and hills. Once I got down to "50 miles to fuel" I started looking for a gas station, another 30 miles up the road I filled up. It was the only station around so I was at their mercy and had to pay $3.33 per gallon back home it was only $3.16. So enjoyed the rest of the ride until I got near the top of a hill and the bike felt weird in the rear end. It wasn't but a moment or two and I knew the rear tire was flat. There was not place to get off of the road (i.e. no shoulder, driveways, etc) I had just crested the top of a hill and could see a driveway about 3/4 to 1 mile away down the hill and partway across a valley. So I continued slowly about 10-15 mph until I could pull in the driveway and get off of the road.

I checked the tire and it was definately flat. There was a wear strip around the tire and it was down to the cords. So I decided I wasn't going to try and plug it with the cords showing. I finally got through to AAA, there computers were down and I was on hold forever or so it seemed. After being on the call for 21 minutes they said they would be sending a truck, they said it would be there within in hour, it took about 40 minutes.

So the driver got me home. If you don't have AAA plus you should get it. With the plus they tow up to 100 miles, no extra charge. This is the second time this year they save me. The first time was in June when we were in Kentucky and had two tires blow out on our camper on a Sunday Evening.

So now I'm going to have to call the Keel Brothers and order up a new tire. Then try to find someone local to install it. As I was looking at the pictures to attach to this I think I see a wear mark on the rear tire in the picture by the sign for Fly. I'm going to have to look closer as it may have worn sooner and I didn't notice it. By the way the rear tire had about 8000 miles on it. This is the first tire that went flat while I have been riding a motorcycle, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I did check the rear tire and found that there was a cut in the center of the tread, most likely caused the flat.
HOLY SHITE!!

If you are being serious you could be right it had been a few weeks or month since I checked the pressure and I pretty much ride 7 days a week. If your trying to be funny your still right, I definately rode a little ways while it was flat and who knows how far I rode once I had a hole in the tread. (LOL)
TPMS they are cheep now.

Back
Top Bottom