Nicky Hayden in Critical Condition UPDATE: Passed Away

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Re: Nicky Hayden in Critical Condition

That's terrible to hear. Hope he gets through it.

Bike
VStrom 650

Very sad, always good to watch.
I personally think cycles are more dangerous than motorcycles.
Drivers don't give them an inch.
Let's hope he's fighting fit soon.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
st11ray

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #

Very sad, always good to watch.
I personally think cycles are more dangerous than motorcycles.
Drivers don't give them an inch.
Let's hope he's fighting fit soon.
Upt'North.
Chris Frome, the Tour de France champion just got hit while training last week and an Italian pro rider was hit and killed this year too. I've had 2 close calls on mine this week alone. I ride mine 5 days a week and have had to alter my route over the years due to traffic worries. Please watch out for our 2 wheeled friends.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Try ridding around DFW. That's why I gave it up after a year and I really loved it.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300

When you climb behind the wheel on onto the saddle, you become responsible for your passengers and those around you. Don't know why that's such an elusive concept.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway

It's not sounding too good for Nicky. No change in his condition this morning and they are describing his brain injury as severe. I've been a Nicky fan for decades and this news is just crushing. He is a quality guy, works hard, is humble, never badmouths others, takes responsibility for himself and never blames his crew or equipment. He is a great ambassador for the sport and for his country. These are really the things that make me a fan. I am praying that he achieves some level of functional recovery.

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?

He been my homestate hero of sorts for almost as long as he's been in motosports news. I was at Daytona for his rookie 200, and every Indy MotoGP to cheer him on.

Prayers for his full recovery.

Good Ridin'
slmjim

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #

It's not sounding too good for Nicky. No change in his condition this morning and they are describing his brain injury as severe. I've been a Nicky fan for decades and this news is just crushing. He is a quality guy, works hard, is humble, never badmouths others, takes responsibility for himself and never blames his crew or equipment. He is a great ambassador for the sport and for his country. These are really the things that make me a fan. I am praying that he achieves some level of functional recovery.
I can't remember all the details, but wasn't Bubba Shobert's prognosis pretty bad after his 1989 USGP freak accident at Laguna? He recovered, so here's hoping Nicky can pull off the same recovery.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #

Completely agree. Very sorry to hear this. And happened not even doing what he loves. Hope things work out for him.

Also sadly. I no longer get the channel that covers MotoGP

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway

I can't remember all the details, but wasn't Bubba Shobert's prognosis pretty bad after his 1989 USGP freak accident at Laguna? He recovered, so here's hoping Nicky can pull off the same recovery.
He recovered, but it was a career ending accident for him. My wife and I were there at Laguna Seca that year and saw the crash, It happened between turns 5 & 6 I think. It was on the cool down lap. Bubba had just done well and Eddie Lawson came up beside him to congratulate him so they weren't looking ahead. Simultaneously Keven McGee stopped in the middle of the track to do a burn out. Lawson saw him and swerved at the last instant but Bubba careened right into him. It was horrible to witness.

I recall he was in the hospital for weeks, I pray that Nicky can recover as well or better.

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #

You misunderstood me Jeff, I remember the details of the crash, it was Bubba's condition that I couldn't recall exactly how serious it was. I seem to recall he was in a coma for 2-3 weeks, and his head injuries were severe. He apparently made a full recovery in terms of living a normal life, but it did end his racing career. His rehabilitation was fairly long too I think. At least gives some hope that Nicky may be able to do the same.

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST

I've following Nicky and his brothers Tommy and Roger Lee for years. A Lockheed-Martin co-worker is a neighbor and knows the family personally.
Nicky will never race again IMO. Brain injury is a life altering event. I will be praying he survives this. Truly sad.

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST

Wow!
This thing w/Nicky has me rattled.
While in Church today thinking/praying for Nicky and my own mortality my pupils dilated, things began turning white and I began sweating.
I didn't pass out and had several people to my aid. Opinion has it (and I agree) I have anxiety related issues had 3 now since taking a hard hit in 08/2015.

Anyway my brother rides on public roadways and much more dangerous IMO. Did Nicky cross into the black! unseen car? My Accord/CRV are white; for good reason.
God Speed Nicky.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Wow, that's terrible.. Rest In Peace sir.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T

As we have heard many times life is not fair. Some are taken far before their time. Sad new. It is amazing how these MotoGP guys can crash at 200 mph and walk away yet at 10 to 20 mph on a bicycle never come back.

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS

:( After doing a few dozen track days, you really appreciate how those guys ride. Never really watched racing til then, and then got really familiar with the Hayden's and Bostrom's.

Top Bottom