No-Mar Review

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Okay... just finished changing my rear tire from the BS 020F to a Road Smart.

I have the No Mar Classic changer w/receiver hitch mount.

The unit is very sturdy. Having the flexibility to slide it into the hitch of the
truck is great.

It takes a little getting used to but once you do and you work your way through
the initial learning curve, it's not too bad.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/product/show/1

Yeah, hands and nails are dirty.. but, this is probably the first bike related farkle I've done that hasn't drawn blood... 5 stars!

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I just did my front tire now. Wow, that was soooo much easier than the rear.

Regardless of which changer you end up getting, it's great to have the flexibility of doing your own.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I just did my front tire now. Wow, that was soooo much easier than the rear.

Regardless of which changer you end up getting, it's great to have the flexibility of doing your own.
Joe...I think rears are easier than the fronts. Maybe the front was easier the first time around because you learned on the rear. At least that what I found when I did my first set.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I would like to have one and do it myself. But for $600, I can have 17 sets changed by my local dealer. I do take my wheels in.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I would like to have one and do it myself. But for $600, I can have 17 sets changed by my local dealer. I do take my wheels in.
The Harbor Frieght option is surely the more affordable option. You can probably do it all with just spoons and not even need a changer other than for a bead breaker which could easily be made.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
The Harbor Frieght option is surely the more affordable option. You can probably do it all with just spoons and not even need a changer other than for a bead breaker which could easily be made.
The bead breaker comes with a harbor frieght. You might want a mojo or Nomar bar to keep from scratching the rims. I also bought a Nomar static balancer with the harbor frieght. I think I have about 250 in mine. Pays for itself pretty quick, and you don't have to hassel with taking the bike in or the wheels into someone else.

STOC #
I have the mid grade No Mar. The mount/demount bar sucks. I'm going to have to save up for the $85.00 better idea. Also, when you set the thing up for the wheel size, you best have some patience with all the choices of hole locations and the four sizes of cut outs on the nylon blocks. I did figure out that it's easier to break one bead, then lock the rim down before you break the other bead. It IS built to last a lifetime though, maybe several.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have the mid grade No Mar. The mount/demount bar sucks. I'm going to have to save up for the $85.00 better idea. Also, when you set the thing up for the wheel size, you best have some patience with all the choices of hole locations and the four sizes of cut outs on the nylon blocks. I did figure out that it's easier to break one bead, then lock the rim down before you break the other bead. It IS built to last a lifetime though, maybe several.
The trick I found with the bead breaking on the no mar is to place the rim on top of the one block where you break the bead.. putting just the tire part on it won't work as well.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
$250 sounds better to me. I'm a cheap ST guy. Is the Harbor Freight unit as sturdy looking as the No Mar that Joe posted? I'm assuming that there is a quality difference that goes along with the price difference.

STOC #
Joe,

Thanks for the review, after having my last couple rims really messed up I am thinking about making the investment. I was looking at a couple makes but this sounds like the direction to go :)

I can't mess them up any more that I paid someone else to.

As for balancing.....Dyna Beads.....I don't understand how or why, but they just plain work.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm

Spencer

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
$250 sounds better to me. I'm a cheap ST guy. Is the Harbor Freight unit as sturdy looking as the No Mar that Joe posted? I'm assuming that there is a quality difference that goes along with the price difference.
I had the HF changer a few years back and gave up because I couldn't get a good place to mount it and all the surfaces are painted vs. the hard composite touch points on the no mar. There are posts on adding stuff to the HF to make it just as good of an option.

I liked that I could substitute the normal base for a receiver hitch option so I can hook it to the truck and take it on / off easily.

I'm sure if I'd had more patience in the beginning the HF would have worked just fine for me.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
The harbor frieght is no where are near as sturdy as a Nomar! But its sturdy enough to do the job. I would say the average ride might change out 2-3 sets a year, and the HF is sturdy enough to do that. I would not buy it if I owned a shop that changed tires all the time, but for the DIY selfer...it just fine.

I mounted mine on two sheets of 3/4" plywood and can slide it in and out of the corner of the garage as needed.

Do a search for harbor frieght tire changer and you will get many threads and learn everything you need to know.

Bike
07 ST1300A
I have the HF changer, and posted a few threads on some cheap and easy mods to it to make it work even better. I havent seen a No Mar up close, but it looks very well built. If I were changing a lot of tires on the side, I'd probably go with the No Mar. But for changing my own tires, and an occasional member/friend's tires, the HF is a great value. If you do go with the HF changer, some must mods are the blocks from Mo-Jo, and the lever from him or No-Mar. You also need to put some plastic blocks over the bead breaker to keep from scratching the rim.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
You also need to put some plastic blocks over the bead breaker to keep from scratching the rim.
That...or I sprayed my bead breaker with the plasti-dip coating. You can buy it in a spray can. I sprayed mine with 5 coats and have had no problems with it scratching the rims.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have the HF changer, and posted a few threads on some cheap and easy mods to it to make it work even better. I havent seen a No Mar up close, but it looks very well built. If I were changing a lot of tires on the side, I'd probably go with the No Mar. But for changing my own tires, and an occasional member/friend's tires, the HF is a great value. If you do go with the HF changer, some must mods are the blocks from Mo-Jo, and the lever from him or No-Mar. You also need to put some plastic blocks over the bead breaker to keep from scratching the rim.
Here's your post.. good stuff.
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29957

Bike
07 ST1300A
Thanks Joe.

Landon, good idea, I may try that if/when I have to replace the plastic pieces.

Top Bottom