NO Michelin Road 5 GT tire coming...

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Your wear pattern (for urban riding) looks much the same as mine.

I think we need to keep in mind that although Michelin has released the PR5, they have not yet released the PR5GT...
I think your tyre is probably too new to accurately show how far over you lean. I'm less than an inch away from the edge of the tyre, and that area on the PR5 is slick by design. That there is a recipe for aquaplaning while leaning over.

Granted, they probably design the edges with the mindset of "don't ride to the rim in wet weather" - but that's simply not practical for daily life. Based on the tread pattern, I won't be running PR5's on my bike. Best wishes to those that are braver than I.

The dust from my pic down the centre of the tyre is probably from the last few hundred metres.

GT tyres usually get a stiffer sidewall etc, but no real change in pattern, and I'm beginning to doubt if the PR5GT will be made. Even if it is, unless the tread pattern changes, I wouldn't be buying it.

I remember on the old PR2's years ago, the edges wore quicker than the middle - despite a 100mile/day commute. That's simply the nature of my commute.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Bike
2006 ST 1300 A
Did some serious Twisties over the weekend, albeit with heavily laden Panniers and Top Box, so in fairness I wasnt doing crazy speeds, probs not more then 80 km/h through the twisties, some slower, on way home yesterday I rode in seriously heavy rain for about 200 kilometres, this is hilly countryside, no issues in heavy rain, but yes, I guess time will tell

Ian

Bike
2006 ST 1300 A
Did some serious Twisties over the weekend, albeit with heavily laden Panniers and Top Box, so in fairness I wasnt doing crazy speeds, probs not more then 80 km/h through the twisties, some slower, on way home yesterday I rode in seriously heavy rain for about 200 kilometres, this is hilly countryside, no issues in heavy rain, but yes, I guess time will tell
NOT sure how revealing this pic is, but seems I did run it into the slick section at times....? Time to give the ol girl a clean now ;)

Attachments

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have PR4's on my CBR 1100XX, ST1300, two NC700X's. I mount my own tires and went to the PR4's due to wet traction performance as the two NC700X's were bought for my daughters. I like the PR4's and usually will not quibble about money when I buy if the performance/safety is better. This year after reading the results of two riders on my CBR forum who ride a lot of miles and are aggressive in the corners and they shouted the praises of the T-31 EVO GT's in wet or dry and the profile is great for the way the bike sets up for a curve and they get excellent mileage out of them. So I decided to look into them and bought a set to put on the CBR 1100XX. Found a SET for $225 delivered to my door and a $40 to $60 dollar mail in rebate. I couldn't find a PR4 GT rear tire alone lower than $200. So for equal to possibly better performance I saved quite a bit. Will put the T31 on soon and start my testing! Found them at AmericanMotoTire.com

Reactions: Ian
Bike
09 ST1300A
I just received a new front PR4 GT and will install soon. Here are photos (taken today) of my current PR4 GT, it is worn to wear bars and worn more on the expected left of center side. It has 15,300 miles on it.

PR 4 GT.JPGPR4GT.JPG

Ian

Bike
2006 ST 1300 A
Getting back to my comments in April, I can say with confidence after approx 7000 km on my Road 5 rear that I am still happy with it, I have reasonably put it through its paces confidently, even In the wet, the Road 5 does the job. I dont know of anyone else running Road 5 on their Pan, so I can only speak of my experience with it. So far so good

Ian

Bike
2006 ST 1300 A
They do have a Road 5 in the correct size for the ST1300 rear, why wouldn't you be able to use that? For the Road 4 I don't think there was a non-GT available in the correct size for the ST13, so no real choice.
I run Road 5, 6000 plus km done, I am very happy with it, wet and dry, and looks like I may do another 6000 odd...time will tell

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I have a set of PR5GTs on order. With a dry forecast tomorrow, I’ll get out and see how much I can go past the wear bars on my current PR4GTs.

Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E
2024 Miles
Have about 1400 miles on mine. Awesome. Like them better than the 4’s. Had two sets before. First about 13,000 miles. Second set a little over 10,000. However last year I was a nail magnet on the rear. Probably would of kept them another season. Generally do 5000 miles a year.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I rode to Bellingham WA last week on a new set mounted last Wednesday.
Desert to start on Hwy 93, then Fwy I15 through Las Vegas, Hwy 95 to Twin Falls the 1st day.
Fwy 84 through Idaho and to Hwy 82 to Fwy 90 and then back roads on Hwys to Everett WA and finally I5 to Bellingham.
Rain going through the Cascades and on the little 2 lane (used it to avoid the 405).
The Road 5 GT's felt great on the slab in the rain as well as in the downpour on the little 2 lane with traffic.

The rear is *not* fun to spoon on! :)
The front, done 2nd, was relatively easy, actually really easy.
Cautions:
1) Don't mount the tires by the look of the sipes. There are no 'big arrows' to show you rotation. The word rotation is there you just have to hunt for it and the R in rotation has an arrow attached to it.
2) No dots for the heavy or light spot. When you read up on them they say things like 'the quality of our manufacturing process now eliminates the need for the 'dots'. I think this might be BS. I think it cuts out a couple of steps in the process and saves a bit of money on each tire (my non-professional personal opinion unsupported by any data).

That being said I'd buy these tires.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
But pricey, holy smoke!
True, they are expensive to buy, but my experience with the PR4GT is that I get remarkable mileage out of them, which means that the "cost per mile" is very reasonable. Plus, of course, the benefit of not having to replace the tire so frequently.

Michael

Top Bottom