No more Avon tires for our bikes

I have used a few sets of Avons in various models on the ST11 in the proper sizes. Avon is not rated for fitting to the rear of the ST13 as far as I know. No issues whatsoever and amoung the best allround tyre I have used. While others may have had problems I think some positive feedback is important also. The shinko verge in ST13 sizes looks to be as good as any other tyre I have tried at a lot less $$

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I used Avons almost exclusively on my ST1100, and liked them a lot. I believe that 17 consecutive tires were from Avon. (Includes the Connie)

I have now gone to PR3s on the Connie, after one set of STorms and 2 sets of STorm IIs. I really like the PR3s, the mileage is good, the stick is good, the cost per mile is less than the STorm IIs. What can I say?

Edit: FWIW: The Connie has ALWAYS had a fitment listing from Avon. The ST doesn't.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I guess some folk are unfortunate with picking up punctures, I went many, many years without getting one, only to get one last year after posting on the forum in a thread about punctures..... who'd have thought.....

There are folks that will claim they never ever, EVER, ride over anything..... well, unless you are superman/woman, I don't know how anybody can say that.... there is no way you can see every potential puncture creating object when riding at speed.
Failures normally occur when a puncture, or penetrating object has damaged the tyre, the driver or rider is unaware that the damage has occurred until the bike feels squirrely, by then it's usually too late.
If you ride on a tyre which is grossly under inflated for more than a short, a very short, distance, you will create some level of damage to the casing structure. This happens because of over flexion of the casing components, think of a piece of wire that you bend and straighten several times....

Yet people will blame the tyre.....

Another cause of failure, the cause of which is often never seen by the driver/rider, is air infiltration to the casing structure. This can be caused mainly by either fitting error, where damage to the bead occurs with a pneumatic or manual tyre fitting machine, or it can be caused by a penetrating object which having penetrated allows pressurised air onto the tread area of the tyre casing.
This kind of damage can result in a tread delamination which produces bulges or blisters. As these can be in the area of the original damage a separation can occur between the tread and the casing structure, leaving a large area of tread missing.
The other kind of damage is where a penetrating object cuts the tread over a wider area, when this occurs it looks much like many of the pictures posted on the forum where a gash is the result across the tread. If this is coupled with a puncture that allowed air under the tread structure, the results can be.... interesting.

Finally, an unattended puncture running at perhaps 15-20 lbs/psi can cause a major heat build up due to casing flexion over time, sometimes a very short time, sometimes long..... the tyre pressure can then go from the 15 lbs way higher... the rubber compounds are denatured and the tyre can fail catastrophically. This can manifest as delamination, blistering and many other signs.

IF you get a chance, when removing a tyre that has run flat and is being replaced, stick you head in and have a good sniff.... this can tell you a great deal about the tyre and what it has been subject to in its final moments..... the difference in smell between a new tyre and a failed tyre is educational.

So, is it Avon that have a problem with their tyres, or with their end users.... even the most careful of us can suffer a puncture and not know it until the tyre fails badly....... don't get me started on tyre damage due to suspension problems...... or bad balancing......

Six years of examining tyres EVERY day, sometimes six days a week tends to give you a heads up on impending problems.....

I'll be sticking with my Avons by the way......

Steps back and awaits ignition....

OP
OP
Mark

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Not a problem Pete.
You didn't inspect the inside of either of my Avon failures.
The first could have been a puncture that went bad I couldn't tell from all the pieces; however, the second's interior was blemish-less.

May your luck with Avon's hold out and you never suffer a flat.

Mark

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
You make some valid points, but, TOO MANY Avons have failed in use compared to other makes. I'll stick with Bridgestones (No Dunlops here either) until solid proof arises one way or the other.

We went thru a similar problem with Avons in the mid-late 90s. Word out of England when the Azuro came out, they were back in the game. I always liked them, stick like glue and got decent mileage. But these recent problems? No thanks.

Just to add, I've had A LOT of flats for nails, screws, and one broken valve stem. Only one tar ever failed as a result (a Dunlop, by the way) but I take "credit for that one, rode it many miles at low pressure. The left side wall was all eaten up. BUT the tar didn't suffer a catostrophic failure. I rode it 'til the rim bounced off a bump before I even realized it was flat.

On a Metzler ME-880, I rode the good part of CA-58 at fun speed over toward SLO with a very slow leak. When I arrived at the parking lot, Jeff Bertram noticed it was low, found only 8 lbs, then a tiny wire in the tread. A slimy worm fixed the leak and I rode that tar to completion. When dismounted, it showed NO visible damage other than the lump of worm on the inside.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Am running Storm IIs right now after experiencing a pull on the 'new to me' tires that came with the bike (more a front tire reinstallation problem I suspect, as it went away with the new set). Suspect I'm getting up there on mileage (over 13K on both front and rear) so just bought a set of PRIIs, waiting for some indication of time to replace. Need to look into bearings, etc for both front and rear, as well as how to do it myself w/o a tire changer. The learning curve continues...

Top Bottom