No preload resistance

1129VLD

"71David5"
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
Noticed last week that my preload adjuster spins with little, if any, resistance. The adjuster know still moves back and forth along the markings, just not resistance and no noticeable adjustment to the shock.

Pretty sure I need a new shock .. just want some confirmation.

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
If you need preload in order to get the proper SAG you do need a new shock.....or you can send that shock to Race Tech where they can upgrade the spring to support your weight, add gold valves and convert it to a rebuildable shock.

OP
OP
1129VLD

1129VLD

"71David5"
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
$550 .. but there is a discount right now.

RaceTech is my first choice for this; but they can't get me in soon enough to get the shock rebuilt before CalSTOC.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Noticed last week that my preload adjuster spins with little, if any, resistance. The adjuster know still moves back and forth along the markings, just not resistance and no noticeable adjustment to the shock.

You probably have what I've got and that is a small fluid leak somewhere between the knob and the shock. In my case, I have to spin the knob about one-half of the way in to get the preload mechanism to start to engage. I suspect that over time I'll get to the point where I have lost enough fluid to where I'll be in the same boat that your in. My shock still seems to work OK other than that.

I think this winter I might take the shock off and see if I can refill the reservoir with fluid to get it back to where it once was.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
If your bike is on the centerstand while you are twirling the knob, there may be little or no resistance. Try turning it while sitting, weight in the saddle, balanced, stands up.

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Just to be clear, because I didn't say...

The shock is not bad, just the preload adjuster is bad, which although part of the entire shock package does not affect the damping or the spring rate.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #

Honda warrantied my shock for the very same condition: Oil leak in preaload adjuster. Shock was still good though (although undersprung), just could not prelaod it anymore.

Note that a similar condition can occur if the preload piston on top of the shock jams up in the compressed position. Had it happened once: cleaning/lubricating got it going again (until it started leaking...). In this case, the shock was staying at full preload, even with the adjuster backed off all the way (and turning without any resistance).

OP
OP
1129VLD

1129VLD

"71David5"
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
Honda warrantied my shock for the very same condition: Oil leak in preaload adjuster. Shock was still good though (although undersprung), just could not prelaod it anymore.

Note that a similar condition can occur if the preload piston on top of the shock jams up in the compressed position. Had it happened once: cleaning/lubricating got it going again (until it started leaking...). In this case, the shock was staying at full preload, even with the adjuster backed off all the way (and turning without any resistance).
If that is the case, how would I get it unstuck?

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
If that is the case, how would I get it unstuck?
A member here helped on that 4 years ago. Tried to dig out the old post but no luck.

The preloader had worked well until I tried to unload a bit after a longer trip with much luggage. Preloader started "freewheeling" after about 1/4 of the way while backing out. Bike was still very low milage at the time (< 10K)

There was a lot of dirt by the locking halves on top of the spring, below the loading piston. The member advised to clean up the area, and spray a penetrating lubricant. Which worked for me.

But first you must assess if the prelaoder is in fact stuck in the loaded position. There is not much travel to look at (maybe 3/8") so this is not easy to see. Best you look at a preloading piston (top of shock)on a ST with a working preloader with the preload cranked up all the way. If it looks the same as yours with the preload completely backed off (like mine did), than the piston is stuck. Now if the preload piston on the shock is retracted and doesn't move when you crank up the preload, then you have an oil leak in the preloader (like on mine a few years later) and Honda may replace it if you still have a warranty.

JZH

International Bodger
I've seen a thread somewhere on re-filling the Showa pre-load adjuster, but Killtimer's wasn't it. It was more comprehensive--like with picktures...:D Fortunately, the preload adjusters on recent Hondas are of the same design, so a little Web trawling ought to turn up a few threads (assuming it wasn't actually here that I saw it). Not surprised that this is a "new shock moment" for Honda, as they haven't sold pre-load adjusters separate from the shock since the early 1990s, when they decided that the same shock they used to advise could be rebuilt became suddenly non-rebuildable... (1990 VFR750F--rebuildable; 1992 VFR750F--non-rebuildable!)

Ciao,

OP
OP
1129VLD

1129VLD

"71David5"
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
I picked up a used shock from Adam @ KYcyclesalvage. I'll install that and send mine off to Racetech for an upgrade then flip the used shock (hopefully).

JZH

International Bodger
What is it you did not understand?
I was thinking of another post on this topic, one I had seen before. It was very good, had photos, and (I think) used a different method for refiling, so I thought it might be of use to someone.

Ciao,

Top Bottom