*** No Spring in my Secondary Master Cylinder? ***

So, last week I'm returning home from a 5 day trip in the rain and snow, still 200 miles from home when I slowed for a school zone using front brake only. W/O warning, my SMC didn't release and my rear wheel won't turn........So, long story short I limp home by pulling over and cracking the bleeder each time I need to use the brakes.

Get home, no movement at all on the SMC shaft connected to the piston. Bike is an '04 non-ABS with 87,000+ miles that I've owned since 6,800 miles in 2005. Yes, this bike has been in the rain a lot.

I pull the SMC apart, full of crap and crud.....What I find strange is: My shop manual shows a spring under the piston. Mine did not have a spring in it?? Did some come w/o, or was this left out on the assembly line? I have a rebuild kit on the way, will the kit include a spring? Thanks........

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
yes it comes with a spring. It is on the bottom of the piston. Check and make sure it is not stuck in the bore of the smc. I rebuilt mine at 90K miles and 8.5 years.

OP
OP
Thanks Chuck, you were right, it was stuck in there. I have a big mess.....Bought an Ebay LF Caliper last night in case the bore on mine is too far gone.......Appreciate it........

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Mine got stuck last summer at about 78,000 miles. Same deal but I caught it before it was ad bad as yours. I ordered a rebuild kit for something like $50. However it was on nation wide backorder. After a couple weeks I ordered a complete assembly. This doesn't include the caliper but was about $120. The bore looked fine it was an availability issue for me. The piston swelled up to the point that it offered too much resistance for the spring to push back.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

Top Bottom