No start with clutch disengaged

I'll file this one away in the 'If it doesn't work, try turning it on' folder.

It can share a bit of space with the number of anecdotes where I've suddenly had something stop working.
Who invented the switch anyway ? They have a lot to answer for.
What a ridiculous inventions - a device that causes an instant roadside breakdown.

Well done @Andrew Shadow - A man who sees a switch as a device to fix a roadside breakdown.
I always seem to buy the other sort though.

What a ridiculous inventions - a device that causes an instant roadside breakdown.
Well, in all fairness to the designer, the switch works very well with the clutch lever that it was intended to be used with. We can't fault the designer because a different non-oem clutch lever, one that is adjustable and can be adjusted to the point that it no longer activates the switch, was substituted for the original lever that was designed to work with this switch. We read of very few failures with these switches. Considering that they are a mechanical switch, and how often they are actually activated during the life of the motorcycle, I think that they hold up rather well.

It can share a bit of space with the number of anecdotes where I've suddenly had something stop working.
But it's not a roadside breakdown... just put the bike in neutral, start up and ride away. :shrug2:

Before Andrew finding the culprit, I did install the OEM switch, which worked fine and narrowed down the problem to the switch only.

Once or twice I've had the bike conk out at speed (nudging the kill switch or some other stupid reason), and had to start back up right away. This would have prevented that option and was the reason for my concern.

My attempt at humour seems to have failed. :(
Sorry John, I guess our humor gene is not working very well today. "Knowing" you, I knew there something about your post that I didn't get.

In regards to the center stand and safety and such discussed earlier. When I was a kid It was common practice if one of the dirt bike crew had his bike running in neutral to stomp his shifter.

Probably wouldn’t be funny for an old guy with an expensive 800lb street bike.

Once or twice I've had the bike conk out at speed (nudging the kill switch or some other stupid reason), and had to start back up right away. This would have prevented that option and was the reason for my concern.
You can't just let the clutch out to restart when you're rolling, presuming you pulled it in?

Top Bottom