Noise from BT021F?

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I recently replaced the front tire on my '05 ST1300 with the Battlax BT021F which was recommended by my local dealer. Every since its been mounted I hear a whirl or whining that rises and falls with the speed that I never had with the OEM tire that came with the bike. Can it be because its a radial tire and the OEM wasn't? I'm concerned that the guy in the shop mounted it wrong or that the bearings are going out. I've only got 9,000 miles on it.

Has anyone else noticed this noise?

Byron

STOC #
It is a softer tire so maybe you're just hearing it a bit more than the previous tire. I catch my PR2's making a little noise from time to time. Could be roadway related.

Your OEM tires were radial tires too.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Check to make sure it's mounted in the correct direction. The arrows on the tire should be pointing in the direction of forward travel.

The oem BT020 (F version) is normally very quiet. Even they will whine in the turns after they get some mileage on them.

edit: Just noticed it was a BT021 you were having problems with. Get another dealer! They misguided you. You will be unhappy with the mileage from that tire.

Ray

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
OEM tires are radials so it shouldn't be that. BS 021's are almost universally panned on this bike and other heavy sport touring bikes for unusual wear and handling reasons but I hadn't heard about noise.

OP
OP
jwh64
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Check to make sure it's mounted in the correct direction. The arrows on the tire should be pointing in the direction of forward travel.

The oem BT020 (F version) is normally very quiet. Even they will whine in the turns after they get some mileage on them.

edit: Just noticed it was a BT021 you were having problems with. Get another dealer! They misguided you. You will be unhappy with the mileage from that tire.

Ray
Oh, NOW you tell me. Where were you when I needed you? LOL

Well, I found part of my problem. I had the tire put on a few months ago and I haven't bothered to check the pressure since. While I've been hearing the noise since it was first put on, I think the noise must have been slowly getting worse because when I checked the pressure the other day and filled it up I've not heard the noise as much. It was WAY low, so low that I'm afraid to admit it here. I've since bought an Accu-gage and will check it religiously on the first of every month.

Thanks for the feed back everyone!
Joel

Top Bottom