Noise ID'd--burping fuel tank

My 2003 gurgled quite a bit. There's a 90 degree tube that feeds from the top tank to the bottom tank.

Apparently, the previous owner had an issue with that hose, and instead of replacing with a factory hose, used a straight piece of hose as a temp repair.

So when the upper tank is in it's normal-down position, the hose would partially kink (cause it didn't have the molded bend), causing a restricted flow / venting.

I replaced with proper factory hose ... gurgling went away. My 2008 doesn't gurgle (not yet, anyway).

My 2003 gurgled quite a bit. There's a 90 degree tube that feeds from the top tank to the bottom tank.

Apparently, the previous owner had an issue with that hose, and instead of replacing with a factory hose, used a straight piece of hose as a temp repair.

So when the upper tank is in it's normal-down position, the hose would partially kink (cause it didn't have the molded bend), causing a restricted flow / venting.

I replaced with proper factory hose ... gurgling went away. My 2008 doesn't gurgle (not yet, anyway).
You should note This is the ST1100 Tech forum. You probably have a 1300

Oh Yeah, some ST1100's are possessed. If you suspect this, call the local Catholic church and arrange for an exorcism.
Does an occasional squirt of silicone spray qualify? :biggrin:
(one drop into the hole at the bottom, the other into the stub where the breather hose attaches... wipe off any excess as you don't want silicone oil contaminating your fuel...)
While at it: smearing fingertip of silicone paste around the rubber gasket makes open/close a breeze... :cool:

Ok so this has been going on since I first looked at this motorcycle to buy from the previous owner. After the engine was shut down, it would make a weird noise for a brief second or two, sometimes making the noise for up to 10-15 minutes. At first, I thought it was some electrical issue...maybe a small surge going to the horn or something. When asked about it, the PO simply replied, "That's her telling you she wants to ride some more." Funny.

Anyhow, it has taken me over a Month to figure it out. Guess what happens when I pull the gas cap? Yep, pressure releases and it stops making the noise. Dude, I'm burping my motorcycle now.

So this probably isn't very normal. Anybody know how pressure release is suppose to happen in these bikes?

I was thinking of pulling the seal inside the gas cap and lubing it up and reinstalling it. But besides that, do I have bigger fish to fry? Should I look at replacing the cap or perhaps the rubber line coming out of it? Maybe an obstruction somewhere?

My burping bike otherwise runs well. Absolutely no problem besides an occasional very light backfire when I jack up the rpm--that's probably due to the aftermarket stainless exhaust (mufflers).

Those in the know about belching gas tanks--spill your guts please.

Thanks a lot for your help. In my case, I had two situations, one was the clogged tank relief tube and the other situation was the rubber of the tank cap valve out of place. Using the compressor, I unclogged the tube and with DW40 I lubricated the tank cap. Now everything looks flawless. Thanks again for sharing your experience.
Ok so this has been going on since I first looked at this motorcycle to buy from the previous owner. After the engine was shut down, it would make a weird noise for a brief second or two, sometimes making the noise for up to 10-15 minutes. At first, I thought it was some electrical issue...maybe a small surge going to the horn or something. When asked about it, the PO simply replied, "That's her telling you she wants to ride some more." Funny.

Anyhow, it has taken me over a Month to figure it out. Guess what happens when I pull the gas cap? Yep, pressure releases and it stops making the noise. Dude, I'm burping my motorcycle now.

So this probably isn't very normal. Anybody know how pressure release is suppose to happen in these bikes?

I was thinking of pulling the seal inside the gas cap and lubing it up and reinstalling it. But besides that, do I have bigger fish to fry? Should I look at replacing the cap or perhaps the rubber line coming out of it? Maybe an obstruction somewhere?

My burping bike otherwise runs well. Absolutely no problem besides an occasional very light backfire when I jack up the rpm--that's probably due to the aftermarket stainless exhaust (mufflers).

Those in the know about belching gas tanks--spill your guts please.
IMG_20221130_124440.jpgIMG_20221026_115019.jpg

Back
Top Bottom