non-ATGATT nephew in ICU

mbw919

Martin
Bike
'07 ST1300
Four days ago my nephew (sister's son) took a spill and bonked his head hard on the pavement. He's still in ICU recovering from a fractured skull, minor brain sewlling and lots of road rash. I truly believe with ATGATT he would be home leading a normal life. Being a die hard Harley dude (no bashing intended), he was wearing jeans, t-shirt, and a novelty beanie. He was returning home from a bike night where beer was likely consumed. He doesn't even remember being in an accident and those riding with him don't know what happened. One second he was riding along just fine, and next thing they saw was him sliding down the road. He had his hot little girlfriend on the back also dressed in the same fashion. She suffered road rash over one entire side of her face, shoulder, arms, etc.

I thought about posting this in the Prayer List sub-forum, but it looks like prayers have already helped and now he just needs time to heal. I want to offer to buy him good gear but doubt he would wear it and he might even take my offer wrong. Any suggestions? He's a head strong 32 year old that still thinks he's indestructable.

I guess the intent of this post is to offer a reminder of what can happen without proper gear, and also to vent frustration that a family member is suffering. Thanks

WilliGoat

Be willing to make decisions.
Bike
2011 C14
STOC #
Hope he recovers quickly. We will keep him in our prayers. Maybe after this he may want to wear at least some gear.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Oh man, sorry about your nephew.

No answers here unfortunately -- just yesterday we watched my wife's sister and hubby ride away on their beautiful new-ish Yamaha Venture wearing the same lack of gear.

We talked for awhile about how to talk to them about it. I'll be watching for this thread for ideas.

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Oh, I hate to hear this stuff. I'm so sorry about your nephew's accident; my thoughts are with you and yours and my best wishes go out to him for a full recovery.

As for the ATGATT question, there are unfortunately no easy answers and I have never found a way to broach the subject without getting somebody's back up. I find that that's true of most things that really, when you come down to it, should be governed by common sense, but human nature being what it is, are constantly getting mired in arguments of "choice" vs. "obligation," or dislike of authority, or the often misguided notion of "rights," or just plain stubbornness...
I guess all we can do is take responsibility for our own safety and for any passengers we carry, and hope and pray that our fellow riders (both ATGATT and non) stay safe.

Patty

Bike
SuzukiBoulevard
My thoughts and prayers go out to your family.

Ultimately, we guide our destiny by the choices we make. Whenever anyone asks, "Aren't you hot in all that gear?", I answer "Yes." and leave it at that. That's my choice. People already know the pros and cons of the ATGATT issue and must decide for themselves what they will and will not wear. I will say, however, it is unfortunate that so much sorrow could have been saved by a little common sense, but that's just my opinion.

Abby

cdp70

"Living the Dream..."
Bike
2003 ST 1300A
STOC #
Speedy recovery to your nephew! Unfortunately, I see these type of injuries at work in the ER on a monthly basis and it's sad for the family. I wish you and your family all the best. Keep us posted.

Ride safe... :03biker:

TPadden

Tom Padden
.... I want to offer to buy him good gear but doubt he would wear it and he might even take my offer wrong. Any suggestions? He's a head strong 32 year old that still thinks he's indestructable.....Thanks
We all objectively KNOW we are going to die; we just think we have some control over our lives (even head strong 60 year olds who still think we're indestructible). When you are called all the gear in the world won't make any difference. Let him live his own life.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I will say, however, it is unfortunate that so much sorrow could have been saved by a little common sense, but that's just my opinion.

Abby
Abby,

Once we give up 4 wheels for 2 we've already demonstrated a lack of common sense ;).

Tom

Bike
ST1300 '05
For a Harley guy, a "cool" looking leather jacket (with armour) and good gloves may be a good start, don't try to push him into hi-viz stuff - his friends would only laugh at him and he'd never use it. Funny thing about gear, wear it long enough and then you miss it if you ride without it. Ease him into it and you might be saving his life, good luck.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Very sorry to hear this... glad he's on the road to recovery and hope it is a complete one.

Maybe, point him to some accidents that have happened to members here... many have resulted in minor recoveries vs major ones... Not always the case but maybe enough of an example to sway him..

I have to admit it would look strange to see a cruiser rider in full gear, not because it doesn't make sense, but because you don't see that much so it looks out of place... I hope the future changes for that segment and they feel more comfortable in full gear. Just my opinion of course.

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
sorry to hear of this also, I *think* in some of those situations people end up with scars (or worse), sad thought for sure.

Your question about atgatt is a good one. On the one hand people ride for years and years, nothing goes wrong, so they generalize that into "nothing will go wrong"... unfortunately.

It's hard to argue with them though. I just try to remind people that you never know when someone will do something carelessly, pull out in front of you, bump into you from behind etc etc. and sometimes, we can find ourselves falling in completely unexpected and unanticipated ways... say with our heads going directly into the curb at even 10 mph could do us in...

Other then that, if they're not convinced, don't see it happening to them... well I don't think there's anything else you can say.

Wishing them the best for a speedy recovery.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I am so sorry to hear that, I hope he and his girl friend get better fast.

My father once bought me a roll bar for a roadster I owned. I sold it un opened because I couldn't see getting that deeply buried in a thing I'd only use once.
My father once bought me a set of leathers that I thought were pretty cool, so I wore them some, and was wearing them on my last serious get off (1977). I wrecked the leathers, didn't damage the Triumph too badly, and NEVER REPLACED THE LEATHERS.

My point to all this :bsflag:??? Your nephew will probably have to make up his own mind.

Bike
08 ST1300A
Just down load and print some pictures of some people with road rash scars, that might wake them up

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Sorry to hear the news. We'll keep your nephew and GF in our thoughts and prayers until they've fully recovered. I agree with Joe and Patty. This is my mind is kind of like an alcoholic getting sober. Not ready to face up to it until he's ready to face up to it regardless of what pain he's facing right now.

John

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
I hope they both heal up, but I imagine they will both have scars.

I truly believe that this accident WILL convince him to dress more appropriately with at least an open face helmet and a jacket.

I rode home the other day without my jacket (it was really hot 34 C) and felt naked. Rode more careful than usual.

Rossi.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Owie. Glad it wasn't worse, best wishes for a swift recovery. Assuming he (and his girlfriend) still want to ride after the ordeal, maybe she can persuade him? While guys are prone to say things like, "Dude! Check out this scar..." I'd imagine that ladies are less likely to do so. It may have been more of a lesson for her than him. Or maybe there's another non rider who can help make the case - so rather than you coming at the issue directly, see if you can exert some indirect influence. +1 on what Hondaholic said - if it's cool, maybe he'll wear it. Then again, he may surprise you - I've been ATTGAT ever since my first get off, at about the same age - and it was no where near as bad as his. Good luck!

punk rocka

this space for rent
Bike
'06 ST1300
We all objectively KNOW we are going to die; we just think we have some control over our lives (even head strong 60 year olds who still think we're indestructible). When you are called all the gear in the world won't make any difference. Let him live his own life.
:plus1:

Abby,

Once we give up 4 wheels for 2 we've already demonstrated a lack of common sense ;).

Tom
:plus1:

Don't really think I need to add much to that. Safety, I suppose, could be measured in degrees for motorcycle riding but in my opinion safety is, for the most part, an illusion more than any reality. Sure lots of good gear will save your bacon in a fair amount of instances, but it doesn't guarantee anything.

Top Bottom