Not another motor oil thread.....

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
It's comparably priced with T6 and DELO, correct? At least that's what I see online.

Because it's fully endorsed by Cummins? : )
And Cummins will extend the Oil change an additional 5,000 miles and even cover it under their warranty if the Valvoline Premium Blue is used in their engines :rolleyes:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I find the ST shifting fairly notchy. It is unforgiving of anything less than perfect technique. Using 5w-40 Rotella that seems to have a good following. 25+yrs ago, Golden Spectro made a huge difference in any bike I used it in. Made shifts buttery smooth. Pricey though. Dino, synthetic, whatever. I don't care if it's made of liquefied squirrels. If it protects the engine, and smooths the shifts, I'll buy it. Considering a motorcycle oil next time around, just to see if things smooth out.

RT
I would suggest you using the 15w-40 dino HDEO over the 5 weight oil if you want smoother shifting.
In several UOA's I've done, the 5w-40 oils always broke down, and fell out of grade faster than the 15w-40 stuff.
If your finding your shifting "notchy" and your bike is "unforgiving of anything less than perfect technique", you may want to flush and bleed your clutch, and inspect your slave cylinder.
This will do more for shifting than whatever type of oil you use ;)

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I would suggest you using the 15w-40 dino HDEO over the 5 weight oil if you want smoother shifting.
In several UOA's I've done, the 5w-40 oils always broke down, and fell out of grade faster than the 15w-40 stuff.
If your finding your shifting "notchy" and your bike is "unforgiving of anything less than perfect technique", you may want to flush and bleed your clutch, and inspect your slave cylinder.
This will do more for shifting than whatever type of oil you use ;)

Yep, I have a clutch thread going. Already did the bleed. The clutch itself is very consistent, grabbing at the very end of its travel. It shows no signs of anything other than a typical ST clutch.

Have had diesel vehicles for decades, well versed in 15w-40 hdeo. I can try that too. Nothing wrong with a quality conventional oil.

RT

Southeastern corner of Arizona, planet earth!
Bike
05 ST 1300 hack'd
Probably means they had a bunch of oil to sell that was not moving well, so they added a cap full of synthetic oil to it so they could call it "part synthetic"and let marketing do the rest :rofl1:
My latest UOA results using HDEO (Valvoline Premium Blue 15w-40) in my ST came back with outstanding results.
Its still rated for use with Gasoline engines, unlike most of the Shell Rotella T stuff lately.
I'm even using it in the Primary on my Screaming Eagle Road King, and have very good clutch engagement.
I don't use it to save a few bucks, I use it because the UOA results come back with better results than just about all of the MC specific oils.
So if its watered down, and has less of the good stuff in it as suggested, why are the results still better than the MC specific stuff?
:rolleyes:
Hey Larry, where do you buy that oil? I want to use something I can find locally hopefully.
take care
Rick.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I agree with you about everything you've said except for one thing. I have developed lubricants for the company I work for that we have custom blended for us for certain applications. You would be very surprised about how much additive is added to each quart of oil. At most maybe the total additive content per gallon of oil will be 2-3 oz. tops. I was really surprised as I was working at blending formulations to see how little additives make up the total amount of the lubricant.
Amsoil says 20-30%

Pennzoil says 10-30%

Lubrication Engineers says 10-30%

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
... think the percentages shown are non base oils and additives, usually a viscosity enhancer like polymers.
I'll take a partially educated guess at it. The used oil testing is not a full elemental analysis. I doubt there is any intention that everything in the ad-pack shows up in the spectroscopy results.... viscosity improvers, tackifiers, pour point depressants, biocides, etc. The analysis is looking for wear metals, and key elements of the typical ad-packs, so there may be parts of it that they are not even checking for. Also, if you are doing used oil analysis vs new oil analysis, you have to remember that some additives are sacrificial and are used up in performing their functions.

Bike
2010 ST1300
And Cummins will extend the Oil change an additional 5,000 miles and even cover it under their warranty if the Valvoline Premium Blue is used in their engines :rolleyes:
I would really like to hear the story of someone who tried to have Cummins honor said warranty. My guess is the engine owner would have to prove at his expense that the oil failed to lubricate the engine properly and that he maintained said engine according to Cummins maint. intervals. I've not read the fine print, but I'd bet Cummins would want their engineers to substantiate your claims. All in all, it is probably a legal rat's nest.

I've always said, the best warranty is the one you don't have to use.

Top Bottom