NOT the battery....really?

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
OK. Been cold ( in L-ville, Ky. area for a week or so now), so I started my cycle a week ago Sat. Started right up and ran it for just 30 seconds ( I ride most days). Due to Winter weather....didn't ride it all week and went to start it Sat. and all i got was lights worked full power but cycle just turned over & never would kick in. Thought it most likely was the battery, but cycle gear load tested it & it reads over 10.something amps & only drops about .3 amps with a load. They said 330 day old Scorpion battery is fine.

OK....so question:

1)...Put a charge on the battery last night and read something like 4 amps and down to about 2 this morning. I am told going lower is a good thing....meaning it is taking a charge.

2) All other things being equal...and the fact that lights work fully & I rode 18,000 miles this year without a hickup until now....what would next steps be after taking a deep breath, having 1 beer & thinking it would have been nice to be able to ride around the neighborhood from 11:59-12:01 :)

THANKS and HAPPY NEW YEAR to all.

As of 12:01....we can consider it a new year and look forward to all the get togethers & special times ahead.

DANS ST

AKA Dan Nelson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Follow the instructions in your manual for an engine that won't start.
I'ld tell you what they are, but I don't want to go out in my garage right now...
too cold out there.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Did it fire at all while you were cranking it? If the engine is flooded the manual tells you to hold the throttle wide open and then crank the engine for 5 seconds.

FYI, the recommended charge rate on a 14AH battery is 1.4amps so I would make sure not to leave your charger on the battery more than overnight if not shorter...

Bike
2006 ST1300
People use different terminology- so i have to ask- is the engine actually cranking, and sounding like a healthy, fast crank? Or are the lights on, but engine not cranking?

If the engine isn't cranking, do the headlights go out when the starter button is pressed? If not, it could be an issue in the starter button- bad connection from dirt or corrosion from water. If the headlights go out when the button is pressed, there is still a chance its the starter switch, but could be a low battery (though doesn't sound like it), bad starter solenoid, or bad connection somewhere.

If the engine is cranking nice and healthy, time to look at either a flooded engine (rare with fuel injection, but can happen), bad fuel pump, or bad electrical connection somewhere.

Its late and I'm tired...so that is the limit of my knowledge for tonight.

OP
OP
Bike
2015 FJR1300A
THANK YOU !....I'll check into the thoughts you all have given me and hopefully will come out of it able roll ASAP :)

I have a hard time dealing with mechanical issues that appear out of nowhere, so I am VERY grateful for the brainstorming....you guys are even there on holidays (lol).

Last edited:
Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
If this is similar to some other fuel injection systems, if you only ran it 30 seconds and didn't allow it to warm up to one or two bars, it may flood itself on a restart attempt.

OP
OP
Bike
2015 FJR1300A
If this is similar to some other fuel injection systems, if you only ran it 30 seconds and didn't allow it to warm up to one or two bars, it may flood itself on a restart attempt.
THANKS Ray ! Yes, every time I turn key on I get the PSSSST of fuel, so I'm hopeful. If I kill the battery, at least I'll know it's dead !!

OP
OP
Bike
2015 FJR1300A
Well..... I guess we count out being flooded. Tried to start it for about 30 seconds as described above. NO LUCK. Also absent....any smell of excess gasoline.
Prior to getting mechanical help.... I have 1 more question :

If I get a 2nd able body person to help....would it be worth trying to push start it ?

sofawizard

andy
Bike
st1100 a
if shes cranking over and no smell of fuel id be thinking of a problem sensor in the injection but hey im no expert on injection systems but it could be the cut off switches on the side stand or kill switch causing your issue

OP
OP
Bike
2015 FJR1300A
if shes cranking over and no smell of fuel id be thinking of a problem sensor in the injection but hey im no expert on injection systems but it could be the cut off switches on the side stand or kill switch causing your issue
THANKS. Maybe I'll put the kickstand up to take that out of the equation. YES...I have the starter switch in the "on" position :)

Kickstand up didn't make a difference,but I can tell battery is draining now because the lights go dim. I will look further into it later in the week.

Last edited:

Avtrician

Put the battery on the charger for a day or two, (its cold there so charging could be slow). connect a volt meter to the battery, and see what it drops to on crank. If below 10 volts, battery is just about shot. The current dropping to 2A, and going lower indicates the battery is charged, but this doesnt mean that the battery is good.

Also, you didnt say if the cranking was the normal fast turn over or slower.

OP
OP
Bike
2015 FJR1300A
Put the battery on the charger for a day or two, (its cold there so charging could be slow). connect a volt meter to the battery, and see what it drops to on crank. If below 10 volts, battery is just about shot. The current dropping to 2A, and going lower indicates the battery is charged, but this doesnt mean that the battery is good.

Also, you didnt say if the cranking was the normal fast turn over or slower.
THANKS Brock. Cranking seemed to be normal speed. My patience is slowing down some (lol). Good thing I have to work the next 3 days....take my mind off of it, since the weather is not allowing me to use the cycle to commute anyway :)

Avtrician

Is it feasible for you to try jump starting from the car, if the bike starts easily, then again the battery may be at fault. With thw 1300, on crank, the battery is driving the starter, fuel pump, computer, and ignition. If the battery is marginal, the ignition part may not fire properly.

OP
OP
Bike
2015 FJR1300A
Is it feasible for you to try jump starting from the car, if the bike starts easily, then again the battery may be at fault. With thw 1300, on crank, the battery is driving the starter, fuel pump, computer, and ignition. If the battery is marginal, the ignition part may not fire properly.
Tried that early in the process and same result. I will try that again tonight. Another riding friend mentioned checking the spark plugs. It's been at least 32,000 if not 41,000 miles since changed. Yes, I was planning on putting new ones in anyway.... so no time like the present :)

Still wondering : Is it worth trying to push start or will that not prove to discount some root causes ? No need to have to buy a 6 pack as payment when I can use it to lower my mental anguish !

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Its worth a double check under the tank and air box to make sure the wiring harness is ok there have been others that had them chewed up.

Top Bottom