Now I'm glad we only have Pan Weave to worry about

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Have we ever run a survey by ST1300 year, weave or no weave @ greater than say 100mph, it would be interesting to see if our group confirms Dave's article, ......
If one accepts the contents of the article, there is no reason to believe that model year has any influence on the presence of a weave, or the lack thereof. The article states that from the press launch forward all ST1300's were tested for, and if necessary adjusted to correct, any weave. That would mean that from the very beginning no ST1300's that were delivered to the public ever had a weave.

Accepting all of the above as factual would mean that if there is a weave on any given ST1300, it was not there when the motorcycle left the factory. That would indicate that if a particular ST1300 does exhibit a weave, it is a result of things that were done to the motorcycle after it left the factory.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm not an H-D fan though I've like a couple. And if I had the room and cash I'd own one maybe two. There is nothing like the sound of a twin – 750cc and up without ball-gag pipes. I'm not for making a lot of noise. It grates on me quickly. But every so often on the open road a WOT blast with good pipes touches my very soul. I like that.

H-Ds have limitations and I'm aware and those aren't relevant to my life style. That said accordingly I'm not a H-D detractor. I'm a grown-up.

OP
OP
sky.high

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
If one accepts the contents of the article, there is no reason to believe that model year has any influence on the presence of a weave, or the lack thereof. The article states that from the press launch forward all ST1300's were tested for, and if necessary adjusted to correct, any weave. That would mean that from the very beginning no ST1300's that were delivered to the public ever had a weave.

Accepting all of the above as factual would mean that if there is a weave on any given ST1300, it was not there when the motorcycle left the factory. That would indicate that if a particular ST1300 does exhibit a weave, it is a result of things that were done to the motorcycle after it left the factory.
After re-reading the article (first saw it years ago) it does not say every ST1300 produced was tested before leaving the factory but says 'Every ST1300 produced since has been test-ridden before leaving the factory. ' making me think some early models where not tested. I do agree a poll by year would be meaningless and also think most weaving ST1300s were created after they left the factory.

Did I just see a price drop of 2002 examples, nope, they are already at bargain basement prices for what is a very special bike.

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
I've never been, and in all probability never will be, a Harley fanboy.
I know, I know.
It's a personal problem. But guess I'll just have to learn to live with it. (And not to worry, I have.)
That said, I no longer feel the need to make fun of them (but I sometimes will make fun of the riders, if it's called for.)
Enough rambling. Fortnine is one of the most entertaining and creative video producers out there.
And the fact that his videos are bike-centric doesn't hurt at all!
I'm not a Honda fanboy.

But I own one.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
I think that the biggest thing I took from this video is "Wow! That guy isn't wearing protective equipment on his arms. How much of his skin is gonna be left after this?"

Seriously, I always see people ride by with very little, or no, protective clothing, and each time I cringe. I've made it a personal mission to ALWAYS have protective gear on. Even when it's crazy hot (mesh gear anyone?), it just gives me motivation to get moving. Ugh! I just hope there's enough skin left on his legs to graft what he lost on his arms!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
After re-reading the article (first saw it years ago) it does not say every ST1300 produced was tested before leaving the factory but says 'Every ST1300 produced since has been test-ridden before leaving the factory. '
Correct, but I would think that the number of ST1300's that may have been released to the public prior to this policy being introduced is so small that they are statistically irrelevant.
The since was very, very early on in the motorcycles production.

The ST1300's first production year was 2002. These events all occurred during the 2002 press launch of the ST1300. The press launch typically, but not always, happens well in advance of a new motorcycle model being delivered to any retail purchaser. This new process of testing every one prior to release was introduced immediately after this press launch. Given the timing of these events, the number of ST1300's that may have been released to the public before this test procedure was introduced would be so small that it is doubtful that they would have any statistical influence.

I don't believe that any 2002 ST1300's were available for sale in North America. If the first ST1300 model year sold in North America was 2003, it is very doubtful that there were any ST1300's sold in North America that were not subjected to this new process and were not tested prior to leaving the factory.

Check out
@ 8:30 min
Wow! I’ve never heard or read anything regarding the dyna death wobble. Not a Harley fan but rode one in the nineties and it felt like I could ride it through a brick wall and it didn’t vibrate as much as I thought it would. Thought about buying one then but something let go and was smoking. That ended that.

Top Bottom