NYC Traffic advice needed

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wondering if anyone familiar with NYC can tell me how the Verrazono Narrows bridge is around midnight on a friday night? And how is Long Island traffic from Friday night thru mid-day Saturday? How awful is the Lincoln tunnel around 10-11 am on a Saturday? Thanks.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Bob, I wish I could help you out here. I live 1.5hrs North but literally never drive down there minus a middle of the night trip during 2017 IBR. At that time 11pm-5am, the LIE was pretty empty. There was some traffic in mid-town, but not terrible. I'm going to guess and say that between midnight and about 8am you'll be fine, late morning could get a little congested, but you'll be outbound by then so probably going against traffic. See ya in Fredericksburg.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The Lincoln Tunnel is jammed during rush hour, and often experiences very heavy traffic during the week at all hours. Traffic should be light Sat morning, but you can probably find better information for a specific day on an app for your smart phone.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Wondering if anyone familiar with NYC can tell me how the Verrazono Narrows bridge is around midnight on a friday night? And how is Long Island traffic from Friday night thru mid-day Saturday? How awful is the Lincoln tunnel around 10-11 am on a Saturday? Thanks.
Verranzano will have cars but they'll be moving along at midnight on Friday night. LI traffic? Depends what you mean by Friday night. 3:00 PM until 8 PM will be a standstill at times, again also depends on where on the island you are. There are only 3 major roads, The Northern State Pkwy., LI Expressway and Southern State Pkwy. Large commercial vehicles are only allowed on the L.I.E. (495).

If you post where your destination is I can probably be much more precise in plotting a route for you. There are certain roads you want to avoid at certain times (strip malls, industrial parks, etc.). If you're heading out to the east end of L.I. you can probably avoid the tunnels all together.

OP
OP
jodog
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Verranzano will have cars but they'll be moving along at midnight on Friday night. LI traffic? Depends what you mean by Friday night. 3:00 PM until 8 PM will be a standstill at times, again also depends on where on the island you are. There are only 3 major roads, The Northern State Pkwy., LI Expressway and Southern State Pkwy. Large commercial vehicles are only allowed on the L.I.E. (495).

If you post where your destination is I can probably be much more precise in plotting a route for you. There are certain roads you want to avoid at certain times (strip malls, industrial parks, etc.). If you're heading out to the east end of L.I. you can probably avoid the tunnels all together.
Looks like I may be going to be doing a lap around long Island on the sunrise Hwy to the light house then back along the north shore on 25A. Any worries with riding thru the night?

B

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Looks like I may be going to be doing a lap around long Island on the sunrise Hwy to the light house then back along the north shore on 25A. Any worries with riding thru the night?

B
One thing that surprised the hell out of me, was the number of deer out on the end of LI in the wee hours. I had no idea...it was crazy

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300

B
Plenty of deer to worry about. And drunk drivers on weekend nights. More importantly, I'm curious as to why would you be doing a lap around L.I. at night? The roads you're talking about are not very inspiring. Strip malls, stop lights, etc. It could be much more enjoyable during the day. If you're touring the Northeast from Missouri there's WAY better riding to be had without dealing with the pitfalls of L.I.

I lived there for almost 40 years.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I agree if you don't need to go to Long Island don't. Also keep in mind the roads in and around NYC are pretty bad pot holes etc.

Bike
CTX1300
STOC #
I was born and raised on the Island. Don't bother going. Left 10 years ago. Traffic, lousy roads, traffic, tolls, traffic, total anachry on the roads, and more traffic, even at night. Not to mention the driving conditions you have to go thru to get onto L.I.

Bike
2010 ST1300
One thing about NY drivers (I'm talking about Manhattan) is they are dependable and predictable. They will do the unexpected every time and when you least expect it. Drive like they do in France or Italy (say Paris or Rome) and you won't be surprised.

OP
OP
jodog
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I agree if you don't need to go to Long Island don't. Also keep in mind the roads in and around NYC are pretty bad pot holes etc.
Going to Long Island as part of the VOID rally. 9 bonus locations on Long Island. In a rally you go where the points are. And you get there when you can. I think Manhattan is much better at midnight and the only part of Long Island I care about seeing is the bonus locations, which were all restaurants by the way. Thanks for all the advice. I had a podium finish in the rally, a chat with a state trooper, and massive traffic problems from DC to Fredericksburg VA. Long Island traffic wasn't that bad.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Going to Long Island as part of the VOID rally. 9 bonus locations on Long Island. In a rally you go where the points are. And you get there when you can. I think Manhattan is much better at midnight and the only part of Long Island I care about seeing is the bonus locations, which were all restaurants by the way. Thanks for all the advice. I had a podium finish in the rally, a chat with a state trooper, and massive traffic problems from DC to Fredericksburg VA. Long Island traffic wasn't that bad.
Well, I thought for sure I was headed to Atlanta during this rally, but that all changed with the rally book. We went all the way out to Montauk, and the deer population did NOT decline since I was last there in 2017. My wife got a rude awakening (I think she was nodding) when I had to grab a handful of brake to avoid a big buck. Fun stuff!!

Great to see you again Bob.

Top Bottom