NY's New Exhaust Law

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Our small town is on a section of the old Trans Canada Highway.Every weekend we HEAR them coming through,eastbound,sun in their eyes.Sunday westbound , sun in their eyes.Give ‘er real loud through town . Just go home will ya.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Brings back memories of a co-worker years ago . He had a '89 Springer Harley . He put on 8 different exhaust systems on that thing until he found the loudest , it had megaphones on it to AMPLIFY the racket & boy did it ! You could hear him coming to work & leaving work . In the parking lot , car alarms would go off until they self cancelled , if they had that feature . Guard in the guard shack always pissed off at it all . I followed him to a restaurant ONCE on my Aero 750 , I could not hear when to even shift mine , had a headache by the time we went 5 minutes there . Laws like this are meant for guys like him !
( This was the same guy that got pissed at a traffic cone , raised up & kicked it ! About tore his leg off ! He didn't know cones were weighted down with LEAD ! ) - ( limped around for a couple weeks .... )

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Its not the Harley's that are the noise makers anymore, its the damn JAP crotch rockets, with all the various "gangs" in their stretched and hydraulic lift kits Bussa's, banging the rev limiters, just because they love the sound of it :rofl1:
In Monterey, along cannery row, after the Laguna Seca races every year, the streets where standing room only with wanna be race bikes banging their rev limiters, doing donuts, and trying to make as much noise as possible.
Most of the Harley's are now stock Street glides and Ultra's, and the old folks riding them would rather hear their tunes than the bikes exhaust.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Lots of variables, at least 50 states, and of course ensuing confusion.
I all about liberty, but let's face it -- loud pipes lose rights.
(And if loud pipes actually DO save lives, just imagine what learning how to ride that thing could do for ya!)
The British have a saying.....Loud valves save lives :rofl1:

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Me I just never got the loud pipe thing. Is it because its percieved as cool? Saves lives? to fool you into thinking your bike has more power or to get attention. If its the latter for me I don't want that attention when I'm coming home from bike night after a few adult beverages.
It's all about 'mine is bigger than yours'. Or louder = bigger.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Well, the idiots do ruin things for the rest of us. Whilst I've no love for noise, for the sake of noise, it is easily and well proven that a free-er flowing exhaust can make a large difference in power output when part of a total package. I've some experience building drag engines, so I know a bit about it. Laws like this serve to punish everyone for the transgressions of a few. So now I'm assuming a nice set of Staintunes are verboten. Or any other performance exhaust on anything. Thankfully where I live there is some discretion in these matters, and there isnt enough money that would make living in NY State worth it, I just don't care beyond other States taking up this mantle of stupidity.

RT

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Just to point out one more thing.....
For those folks who think its ok in my state, who cares what other states do etc.....it's quite possible that if your riding in another state, and get stopped for a modified exhaust or race tuner, your out of state plates are not going to save your butt. The officer will just nicely explain that your on his highway, in his state, and your still going to get a moving violation (in some states) for your loud or modified system....these may not be a "warning", or "fit it ticket" that your expecting.
Not knowing the law(s) in the state(s) your traveling through is not an excuse.

Bike
2009 ST1300
ST1300 owners with aftermarket pipes getting pulled over - and other short stories, I think its gonna be more of the 62 degree, can you say potatoe? I say, po-ta-toe, same thing, (could be wrong) twin uneven fired straight pipe - just want to ____ it up for anyone that comes after me - group that that one is aimed at, I cant even wake the lovely contestant from the studio audience when I start the ST to go to Tims at 4, and she always gets up at 430

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I live in very rural area peaceful and beautiful.
When I drive in my neighborhood, I keep it slow and on low rev.
But we have few people around us riding for hours dirt bikes & ATV's without mufflers at all.
It could be any day of the week, WE included and this sometime even after sunset.
I don't know anything more nerve wracking than that.
Maybe now, this new regulation will give us some ways to fight this hell!
Loud pipes on the road are one thing, having to endure close to 120DB for hours is a misery and a physical pain literally.
It's not all about Harley's and sport bikes! :eek:

Last edited:

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Sounding like a old codger.Wait,l am an old codger.ATVs are legally ridden on minor roads around here.It’s the a-holes that have super-loud pipes,& have to constantly blip throttle on a CVT transmission in town.I think they graduate to the stove pipe diesel pick-ups,& straight pipe v-twins.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Back in the 70's in Michigan if you had a loud exhaust, you would get pulled over and issued a citation for excessive noise. After the fact you had 30 days to go the the issuing Police Department with your corrected exhaust and have the ticket removed. If not you paid a $75 or so fine. I am all for it, even equally as much or more so on loud music systems on bikes. Some are so ridiculous that I can hear them on the expressway at speed and worse in the city.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I'm all for this new regulation, wishing it was national and that it was enforced. It is such rude, selfish, and abhorrent exhibition and imposition upon others--I'm amazed there hasn't been an uprising leading to more attention given to the gross and ever-present 'disturbing the peace'.

And it isn't getting better in my observation. Seems the flush savings and retirement accounts that resulted over the recent year+ with market growth and lack of spending on destination vacations seems to have raised it up another notch. There are more loud motorcycles and vehicles now than even a year or two ago.

Here in Golden, the POs do have noise meters (or at least did prior to pandemic) and used them, especially in downtown Golden along the sanctioned routes that the Golden Super Cruise events use (one evening a month). But meanwhile, the highways elsewhere through and out of the city (still City of Golden jurisdiction) were and continue to be a fool's paradise of noisy motorcycles (both HDs and crotch rockets) and hot rod autos (both classic and modern).

I find that any loud exhaust, no matter how exotic or sexy the car or motorcycle, is not acceptable either. Yet some say 'that one sounds cool'. No it doesn't, take it to the racetrack.

I live 1/4 mile as the crow flies from a 2 lane throughway with traffic lights--the exhaust sound is simply absurd and excessive, echoing off the valley hills continuously. It pisses me off.
Most of the Harley's are now stock Street glides and Ultra's, and the old folks riding them would rather hear their tunes than the bikes exhaust.
That's not consistent with what I see and hear, here.

Woodchuck

(Lyle)
Bike
2018 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Many years ago I was part of the Bylaw training for the noise bylaw (motorcycles) and how to conduct the test on the side of the road. There is RPM ### for all different engine types and Db levels for each. I know the ST stock exhaust was well below the limit and my HD friend aftermarket exhaust was 3-4 DB below at the tested RPM ####. I have reached out to my bylaw Department in my area for some more clarity on this. Yes I know that it's not for everywhere but can at least educate us going forward a bit. If anything it will give us something to chat about for a couple weeks:eek::eek:

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Sounding like a old codger.
Does it means that this law is just about "old codger" complaining about noise?
"Noise pollution has been called an "underestimated threat" by the World Health Organization"...

Last edited:
Top Bottom