Oem shock dead at 51k miles

Rest in peace, little Springer. You were already arthritic; my ample mass and heroic riding style finally sent you to the happy hunting ground.

Took a chance on a used progressive suspension 420. Isn’t made anymore, came off a parted-out ST1100 on eBay but for 130 bucks it was exactly what I needed. Even has a heavier rate spring than stock perfect for two up.

362ECE73-2306-4E52-94D7-B6C3A12FFA20.jpeg

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
51k out of the stock used everything you could get out of it!
I'm surprised you weren't 'pogoing' down the road!

OP
OP
Hondeltor
This was weeping oil when i bought the bike. After a few 2 up jaunts, the jounce bumper exited stage left. Bottoming out not far behind. By the time I got back from the black hills, the weeping turned over to wailing.

OP
OP
Hondeltor
I take back what I said about this shock being perfect. It rides HARD. Spring rate (looks like) it says 480?? Hard to tell, paint chip right on the writing.

My gosh, my back hurts.

OP
OP
Hondeltor
Turns out its a dud. 0 nitrogen in the bladder, jammed adjuster, rotten jounce bumper, progressive wont rebuild. Never wasting money on a used shock again...

OP
OP
Hondeltor
Broke down the dud. Burst nitrogen bladder. In case anybody cares what they look like inside:
22FA54F8-5B0D-48FA-BC64-3E3602E1060F.jpeg

Rest in peace, little Springer. You were already arthritic; my ample mass and heroic riding style finally sent you to the happy hunting ground.

Took a chance on a used progressive suspension 420. Isn’t made anymore, came off a parted-out ST1100 on eBay but for 130 bucks it was exactly what I needed. Even has a heavier rate spring than stock perfect for two up.

362ECE73-2306-4E52-94D7-B6C3A12FFA20.jpeg
Hondeltor,
The standard rear shock on my 2000 ST1100 is leaking oil and have heard that they can be rebuilt.
Any idea who may repair them?
Regards,
Graham Watson

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Progressive is bad about not wanting to rebuild their 'rebuildable' shocks. They always want to sell you another one 'that can be rebuilt - until they decide they won't!' I'd look at Hagon or Wilbers unless you want to throw a lot of money at it for Ohlins.

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Hi Graham, I haven’t heard of anyone offering a rebuild service for the stock shock. However, there are a few threads here of folks who have replaced the oil in their stock units. I don’t think they’ve rebuilt them in the true sense of the word, though.

I have a low mileage stock one in my 1100. When it goes I’m thinking I’ll replace it with a unit from the Shock Factory.

Looks like a quality product and the back story is interesting.

Progressive is bad about not wanting to rebuild their 'rebuildable' shocks. They always want to sell you another one 'that can be rebuilt - until they decide they won't!' I'd look at Hagon or Wilbers unless you want to throw a lot of money at it for Ohlins.
Uncle Phil,
thanks for your help and recommendation.

Graham

Hi Graham, I haven’t heard of anyone offering a rebuild service for the stock shock. However, there are a few threads here of folks who have replaced the oil in their stock units. I don’t think they’ve rebuilt them in the true sense of the word, though.

I have a low mileage stock one in my 1100. When it goes I’m thinking I’ll replace it with a unit from the Shock Factory.

Looks like a quality product and the back story is interesting.
GGely,
thanks GG, I’ll have a look at Shock Factory and Hagon.

Regards,
Graham Watson

Upt’ North,
I looked at David Silver in the UK and although they have one, after further research, came across Southern Honda Powersports in Chattanooga are selling at $375.66 inc. shipping but I shall verify they have one in stock.

Regards,
Graham Watson
P.S.——-Hardknott and Wrynose Passes are to die for! I miss them.

Bike
VStrom 650
Upt’ North,
I looked at David Silver in the UK and although they have one, after further research, came across Southern Honda Powersports in Chattanooga are selling at $375.66 inc. shipping but I shall verify they have one in stock.

Regards,
Graham Watson
P.S.——-Hardknott and Wrynose Passes are to die for! I miss them.
That sounds a good price shipped as long as you are happy with OEM. The ABS shock works fine on the non ABS, that's what I'm running.
Why wouldn't you miss em me o'd mucka.
Upt'North.

That sounds a good price shipped as long as you are happy with OEM. The ABS shock works fine on the non ABS, that's what I'm running.
Why wouldn't you miss em me o'd mucka.
Upt'North.
Up’t North,
the D.Silver shock would be prohibitive to ship to the US —-I think $375.66 inc. shipping is a good deal.
One item I am having difficulty getting is a fuel gauge (supposedly no longer available). Part No.37300-MAJ-G21.
A helluva job THAT was to remove and to find it’s no longer available was a blow.
Had my 2000 ST1100 since new and it’s coming to the end of its life after 186,000 miles and I just bought a 2010 ST1300 but it’s up in Maryland 400 miles away atm but hope to get trailer to pick it up at weekend then try to sell the 1100.

Regards,
Graham Watson

Top Bottom