OEM timing belt vs. Gates belt

Going to replace the timing belt on early ST1100 . The OEM belt is about $100. and a Gates belt is $45. Bike only has 25K miles on it , but being 27 years old I'd rather be safe than sorry . Is the OEM belt worth double the money ? Thanks for reply and ride safe . PS - deer season is officially here in Illinois , so extra awareness !! Saw one today on side of road so always be ready especially at night !

Bike
2000 ST1100
I haven't replaced my 18 year old belt on my bike. But if and when I do I would most likely go with the Gates. I got one on my Toyota that has 90,000 miles on it and just starting to get little cracks.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
General consensus here is the Gates belt is just fine. I put one in my 91 and have one ready for the 99.

OP
OP
Well thats good news. Most guys Ive spoke to about this ( including diesel , auto and cycle mechanics ) say the same . My bike is a 1991 model in great shape. I took the inspection cover off and it looked perfect. This is the first ST Ive owned and ride it everyday unless raining . Most comfortable bike ever. Doesnt leak a drop either. Thanks for the help and take care !

Bike
2000 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I agree that the Gates belt will be safe to use. I put one in when I changed my belt in my 2000 ST1100 at 108,364 miles. Now have 131,162 miles with no issues.

Gary.

Bike
Vstrom 650
What condition was the belt in after 108k miles? I'm assuming it was the original, been wondering about this a long time, 58k miles on mine now, original belt,17 years old.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I think every belt that's ever been removed by forum members, most of which were ~20 years old, have all been reported to have looked like new.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I don't know what other parts are included in the belt path system on the ST1100, but have a lot of experience with TBs on car engines (particular VW, especially diesels) and the belt itself seldom ever fails on its own. One of the idler/roller bearings, waterpump, or tensioner almost always goes bad and takes out the belt. Most all the major belt makers recommend replacement after 5-7 years on theses vehicles regardless of mileage, but that's mostly to cover their butts and a disclaimer as the synthetic fiber materials virtually don't break down unless contaminated and typically look almost like new after 100K mile intervals.
So, depending on the service life, or more importantly, the extended projected future life of the related components in the belt path system, replacing just the belt makes little sense to me. Plan on keeping the bike for the long term and don't want to "worry" about it?? Change it and buy quality sourced replacement parts. Or..spin the wheel and ride it

Bike
2000 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
What condition was the belt in after 108k miles? I'm assuming it was the original, been wondering about this a long time, 58k miles on mine now, original belt,17 years old.
Pretty sure the belt was original. It looked new also, no cracks or stress on the edges. The water pump, idler and rollers were good shape.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
To risk sounding like a broken record, Honda doesn't manufacture parts like timing belts and brake pads. Another supplier/manufacturer makes the part, slaps a Honda PN on it and Honda sells the part, marked up. The Gates belt is just as good or better as OEM. Get a Gates belt, if you replace the belt Don't Worry, and Be Happy you saved some $$. I bet a new Gates belt will be made of improved materials compared to the original OEM belt, IMHO.

But as mentioned above, you may find the tensioner or idler pulley may need replacement due to wear caused by the grease drying out over the many years. There isn't another source for these, but the OEM prices aren't too outrageous.

BTW, If anyone needs a good used idler pulley, I have one available for the shipping charge. Send me a PM with your address.

Last edited:
Top Bottom