Off-roading Gold Wing! Matt Spears

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I can't be the first to post links to this guy's videos, am I?

I stumbled on this young man's videos and I'm totally smitten by his glee, enthusiasm and frankly bravery! with his Gold Wing adventures. I think some eastern European/Russian ST1300 off-road video had one of these as a suggestion. Matt has a number of videos with more conventional off-road bikes, but these with 'Piggy' are delightful. :)

Be sure to watch the last two videos in that order.

Yea, seems familiar - thanks for the link.

The worst we've ridden off-road on our 2007 'Wing is along our 100 yard long gravel driveway and dirt parking lot at the equestrian center :)

OP
OP
STRider

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
That's one of the big differences I find between the STs. The pucker factor on the 1300 is at least 2x that on the 1100 when the surface gets loose.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Ah yes, the ‘disposable‘ GoldWing. Hey, it’s his bike and he can do what he wants with it. Not sure how long it’s going to last abused like that.

EDIT: I just watched all 5 videos- pretty entertaining and despite the damage and abuse, the GW is a helluva bike! It reminds me of the Top Gear Toyota Hilux episode:

That’s just part 1- there’s 3 parts

Also reminds me of Bill Murray in Groundhog Day:
Phil:
I've been stabbed, shocked, poisoned, frozen, hung, electrocuted, and burned.
Rita:
Oh, really?
Phil:
Every day I wake up without a scratch on me, not a dent in the fender... I am an immortal.

EDIT 2:

Parts 2 & 3: Worth it!

Last edited:

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Falls in the "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" category IMO but you can't help but watch. Like watching a slomo trainwreck.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
His ability to manhandle a goldwing is impressive. He makes it look easier than I could manage a bike half that weight.

Of course, his goldwing is disposable, but the the bike's refusal to die is quite amazing.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
An idiot in my opinion looking for likes and subscribers.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
That's one of the big differences I find between the STs. The pucker factor on the 1300 is at least 2x that on the 1100 when the surface gets loose.
Really?
I tear down the same gravel roads and don't feel much of a difference.
Then again, I have never had both at the same time and am comparing by memory, and we know what that is worth.

OP
OP
STRider

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Really?
I tear down the same gravel roads and don't feel much of a difference.
Then again, I have never had both at the same time and am comparing by memory, and we know what that is worth.
When I bought my 1300 three years ago I was supposed to follow up after a few thousand miles with my observations about owning the two.

The first thing that came to mind was that I sit in the 1100 and on the 1300. The shorter wheelbase and more responsive handling were also very apparent. Both of those traits, which in general I find appealing, contribute to my comment about riding on loose surfaces. Some of my favorite rides between home and the Pacific coast have a couple stretches that turn to crushed rock and gravel as the road crests the summit of a ridge or mountain. Much twitchier on the 1300.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
An idiot in my opinion looking for likes and subscribers.
One day science will be advanced enough to reveal that it's not just an opinion but a scientific fact. This is similar to the destruction of iPhone videos for Likes and Subs.

Ok it's his right to buy and trash a GW but it's not like he's really on an adventure. He's not even a Noraly wannabe. He's not just an idiot but a YT certifiable narcissist. A poster boy for "Just Because You Can Doesn't Mean Your Should" month. A waste of time space a GW and protoplasm.

I'm not sure I'd be upset if he had Kevlar shoelaces that snagged on a pedal or lever when the GW when down hill.

Top Bottom