Officer's Helmet Cam View

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
What gear do you use for a technical course like that? I'm guessing 2nd gear because the throttle on the ST1300 is so darn sensitive in 1st. But then again, in 2nd gear, it's more work for the clutch... if my assumption that it requires a lot of friction braking is correct.

OP
OP
stovepipe
STOC #
What gear do you use for a technical course like that? I'm guessing 2nd gear because the throttle on the ST1300 is so darn sensitive in 1st. But then again, in 2nd gear, it's more work for the clutch... if my assumption that it requires a lot of friction braking is correct.
In terms of these kind of police motor competitions, you never get out of first gear. Its all Clutch and throttle. Yes some braking is involved, but not very much. One of the things I love about, and for you in Canada (aboot) the ST, has a wet clutch,and a tall first gear. Giving it a slight advantage over the bmw 1200 imo. This particular course really allowed a bike like the ST to take advantage of that. Standing in the course shooting video, the air was rich of burning clutches. Which is btw, mostly rider error. Even some cops forget to practice proper technique. That's why these events are so important to the over all safety and longevity to the motor officer.

Last edited:
That's why these events are so important to the over all safety and longevity to the motor officer.
So that begs the question ... on average, does a cop spend more time [in traffic] in low-speed maneuvers or more at "highway speeds"?
(I understand that this type of competition is about keeping the senses sharp and conditioning responses to be "by nature").

EDIT: Also, do ya'll have "high speed" competitions of some sort?

And now, that begs another interesting question (at least for me): What is the major reason for deploying motorcycle cops over automobile use?

OP
OP
stovepipe
STOC #
Great job helping out that day together Patrick- well done and good to see you again!
Nice seeing you John. At first I didn't recognize you out of your faded red now pink aerostich...lol :D Fairfield Motors deserves all the credit. They really did an outstanding job, and put Fairfield motors on the map.

So that begs the question ... on average, does a cop spend more time [in traffic] in low-speed maneuvers or more at "highway speeds"?
(I understand that this type of competition is about keeping the senses sharp and conditioning responses to be "by nature").

EDIT: Also, do ya'll have "high speed" competitions of some sort?

And now, that begs another interesting question (at least for me): What is the major reason for deploying motorcycle cops over automobile use?
Im just a dopy guy and a civilian who has developed a hobby riding patterns. Hopefully, it will show other civilians that you don't have to be a motor-cop to acquire an advanced skill set. The folks who ride in Law Enforcement are the best riders in the world. Not the guys blasting their pipes, with ape hangers and tattooed arms looking for attention. Spending their days watching soa and pretending. Beyond that, you'll get a better answer if you address your question(s) to perhaps maybe any LE motor-cop in your town. Most love talking to other riders about what it takes to be a motor-cop.

Last edited:

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I wanted to post this because this being motorcycle awareness month, we as civilians need to step up our game. With all the never ending distractions out there, we need all the tools we can get. Having an advanced skill set, not only will it enhance your riding ability, but increase the chance of you reacting correctly in an emergency. So please find a school, learn the technique, and practice everytime prior to a ride. Practice is key.
I took one last year with the Oklahoma Highway Patrol. Ours was no where near that hard. But i learned some very good skills. I have been riding 45 years now. They were able to teach this old dog some new tricks.

OP
OP
stovepipe
STOC #
I took one last year with the Oklahoma Highway Patrol. Ours was no where near that hard. But i learned some very good skills. I have been riding 45 years now. They were able to teach this old dog some new tricks.
And there ya go...You've got longevity on your side friend.

MrB

Bike
2013 GL1800 F6B
STOC #
The road near an accident or incident could be littered with enough debris that a car couldn't get through.
A traffic jam could make it slow or impossible to get a full size car through quickly.
Smaller profile makes it harder to spot when checking radar for speeders.
An incentive to get people to do a rough job.

Just guessing, I'm not a LEO.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
That pretty much depends on the department. Highway oriented organizations work highways and surface streets. City and county police motors generally work surface only leaving highways to appropriate departments. There are no doubt exceptions to the rules. But even "highway" cops can benefit from fine motor skills.

What is the major reason for deploying motorcycle cops over automobile use?
Mobility. Motors can get from Point A to Point B faster than a car in almost any instance. They can pick their way through traffic.

Acceleration. They can respond quicker because of their acceleration. This is usually more important than top speed. When possible most motors hand-off pursuits to patrol vehicles.

Cost. Motors are overall cheaper than cars. So where a motor can be used instead of a car money is saved.

This makes them ideal in many departments for traffic enforcement. While many want to see that as a revenue grab it's also a matter of public safety. Some people like to debate this. I do not. There can be instances where revenue takes precedence over safety. I don't mind as long as the rules are known to every one.

You may see many of them with rifles attached these days. This ain't Mayberry anymore. Some departments need mobility and/with firepower. Some patrol cars are now equipped with both shotguns and long guns.

There is a down side. Motor riders are more susceptible to injury and death in the event of a collisions or attacks from suspects. This can mean increased medical costs. Motor riding is a diminishing skill far more than operating a car. Motor offices need regular training and even instructors need to be rectified regularly. States vary on requirements of course.

Some times you need to break the law in order to enforce the law. This is especially true in stop-light enforcement and speed enforcement. This is can be difficult enough with a motor and often impossible with a car.

It's a dangerous job but somebody's gotta do it.

Top Bottom